Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

toyota oil filter/oil suggetions

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default toyota oil filter/oil suggetions

hello..i know this is not an ls1 based question but i figured someone would have some iinput..recently i bought my gf a 01 toyota rav 4..its loaded and is the awd unit. It has approx 68k on it. i have yet to do an oil change on it but the time is nearing for me to do one on it. While i was in the process of buying it the salesman was continually telling me about the importance of getting a toyota brand oil filter..he said that the toyotas have such high volume/pressure pumps,the x brand filters sometimes have a check valve that goes bad causing the motor to have extra wear upon startup. Keep in mind i have never ever owned an import..i really have no idea..i just wanted to get her something that was reliable..it doesnt rattle or squeak and runs like a top..i want to keep it that way..i am going to to the scheduled timing belt change at 75k as well..Also wondering about oil..i run mobile 1 in my car and castrol in my pickup..any suggestions on the oil to switch to? ive always belived in putting the same type of oil in it that its always had,but since i bought it at the dealership..i have no idea what kind of oil was used so im just gonna go with a brand and keep it. so anyone have any input on these speical oil filters or was the guy just trying to do his sales pitch like he was trained to do? thanks matt
Old 05-05-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i run mobile 1 oil in my honda prelude, and i think just about anything but fram filters are gonna do the job. i personally use carquest filters, it does the job. hope this helps
Old 05-05-2005, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't listen to that salesman he is trying to make the dealer more money...read an aftermarket filter, it will say "meets or exceeds OEM specifications" you can use any filter you want, it won't really matter.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes thats what i figured..ive always used aftermaket filters...then again ive always owned domestics..this is my first venture into a pushrodless world...
Old 05-06-2005, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am using Mobil 1 and a K&N Oil Filter in my '04 Solara.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would buy a good aftermarket oil filther...Wix, Mobil1, K&N. They'll do just fine.

As for oil, it's kinda like the Blonde/Brunette/Redhead question. Which do you prefer? You'll have no issues staying with Mobil1. I use it in my car, truck, wife's new car, Harley, push mower, riding mower, snowblower, generator, and garden tiller. I just buy a lot of the big jugs (love that phrase) and don't worry about it.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having owned 4 Toyotas, I too am a firm believer of using ONLY Toyota brand filters. Check out epinions.com and read of people who used aftermarket filters on their Toyotas and had problems. Hondas are fine with aftermarket. Seriously, get the Toyota filter.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Disclaimer: I have never owned a Toyota.

I Googled "Toyota Oil Filters" and found a couple of items that may be of interest. I was unable to find more than a couple of references to Toyota oil filters on epionion.com. Those that I found were opinion-based.

Toyota oil filters can be expensive, but you can buy them from a variety of places at prices that are almost guaranteed to be cheaper than from the dealership. They were still cheaper than Mobil1 filters.

There were references to an oil filter that, when opened up, looked like Fram filters. That is not good. I will place a reference to one of those studies at the end of the post. Whether all Toyota filters are built that way or just the one the guy(s) looked at, I don't know.

If you feel you have to stay w/Toyota filters...that's fine. You can buy them where you find them cheap and do your own changes to keep maintenance costs down. Changing your own oil is a great way to feel good about your vehicle and your skills.

It's ok to change oil brands. While I wouldn't go to a different brand every time oil is changed, it's not going to hurt anything if you switch to your favorite brand of oil and stick with it. Just be sure to keep your oil changed at regular intervals.

Reference:

http://www.corolland.com/oil-filters.html

Oil filters for the Corolla (by Mike Higginbotham, March 2003)

"Toyota 90915-YZZA2 - $6.95 (I've also found this filter for $4.25 since my test)

Base-plate: 8 hole openings. Thickness of the plate approx. 0.10". The gasket on the base-plate is squared on one side and rounded on side that contacts the engine block. The gasket is held in place by 12 tabs. Stamped: ăD".

Case: Thickness approx. 0.019". There is a stamped spring in the bottom of the case, this stamped spring looks like it has been heat tempered, which is different than any of the other stamped springs that I've seen. If it has been heat-treated it's a better stamped spring than the others.

Anti-drainback valve: Black rubber. Thickness of 0.057" but it has an outer rim that is slightly thicker than this (you almost have to see this to understand what I'm saying here). Total width of 1.85". Hole in center of 0.85". Stamped: ăNOK 1.2".

By-pass valve: Located at the back-end of the filter, opposite end from the base-plate. It is a stamped metal spring design with a metal plate. Quite frankly, I cannot tell if this by-pass valve uses a rubber gasket for sealing or not. The stamped metal spring is Attached to the filtering element itself, just like the Purolator. I noticed this by-pass valve seems to take a significant amount of force to open it.

Filter element: Paper, with a thickness of 0.038". 6 groups of pleats. These pleats are arranged differently than any other filter pleats I've seen. I'm not going to say they're better, just different. You'll just have to see the photo's to really appreciate their design. They are a nice design, I don't know why they would be a better design though. Each group of pleats has 10 individual pleats. Each group of 10 pleats has pleat with width of 0.30" (6), 0.40" (2) and 0.50" (2). Filter element height of approx. 1.84". 79.48 sq. in. of filtering surface area. I couldn't find the seam for the filtering element but I know its there somewhere. This filter had cardboard end caps glued to each end of the filter element (I found this disappointing quite frankly). It had a metal support structure inside the element to prevent collapse. General observations: This filter is probably a Purolator as the by-pass valve is a Purolator-type design. It has a nice glue job on the filter element end caps, but I don't particularly like the cardboard end-caps, though they have to work OK or Toyota wouldn't use them. I like the seal that goes against the engine block being rounded on the surface that contacts the block. The pleats of this filter are turned 90-degrees from the pleats of all the other filters (you'll have to see the photo's). This filter is made in the USA. There is no notation as to what standards this filter meets (J806 or J1858)."