Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about MAC mid-length headers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 12:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about MAC mid-length headers.

I am buying a set of MAC's and I want to know how they will work with my SLP "Y" pipe and Loudmouth. Will they bolt up to what I have now or will I need to change the y pipe ect.? I want to keep my LM if I can so thanks for the info in advance.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nope, the macs use ball flanges while SLPs don't. I hope you got at least coated. I had some uncoated Mac midlengths on my car, and I didn't even have them on for a year and they looked like ****. Bad surface rust. Also, they were't easy getting in. You'll have to take the pass side valve cover off and slowly fit them in from the top. The driver side, you will have to take the motor mount bolt out and jack that side of the engine up a bit to slide them in. It's not too late, sale them and get some nice LT's.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:34 PM
Launching!

So I will need a different Y pipe or will I need some custom exhaust work or what? I got the MAC's really cheap so I want to use them I just want to know what I will have to do to make them work with my existing set up. Good friend here owns a exhaust shop so I know I can get that kind of work done if I need to, just need to know if I need some other ORY or catted Y or what.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I love my Mac's, if you're planning on lowering your car in the future, keep 'em. Even if you're not planning on it, keep em if you want to. Any exhaust shop should be able to fabricate the SLP Y to Macs. Only problem is, you do want that connection to be able to twist a little bit when your motor revs. But most most people that I have seen over tighten that connection anyway, and have no problem with it. I did a write up of the install, link's here. I pm'd you the link, because it's not on this site. Hope this helps you.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by USMARINE1108
I love my Mac's, if you're planning on lowering your car in the future, keep 'em. Even if you're not planning on it, keep em if you want to. Any exhaust shop should be able to fabricate the SLP Y to Macs. Only problem is, you do want that connection to be able to twist a little bit when your motor revs. But most most people that I have seen over tighten that connection anyway, and have no problem with it. I did a write up of the install, link's here. I pm'd you the link, because it's not on this site. Hope this helps you.
Thank you!
Old 05-07-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Macs aren't bad to install at all . I had mine in in about 4 hrs . Easiest mod I have done to my car yet . I jacked my car up and went in from the bottom . They slid in like a dream . I got mine so cheap used that im just gonna stick withem until they fall apart . Jeff Creech has said that LTs arent worth the price/performance gain over macs and has tuned many a 500rwhp car with mac mids.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:46 PM
12 Second Club

Granted I haven't installed my MAC's yet but this is the first I've heard of having to undo a motor mount...
Old 05-07-2005, 02:56 PM
Launching!

I'm planning on lowering my car just a little at some point in the furture so the Mac's are going to be good for me. Plus, I am getting them really cheap! Sounds like it's a good comprimise without losing a whole lot of performance.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my install was pretty easy. i took the passenger side valve cover off and the header dropped right in. the drivers side i installed through the bottom of the sar just fine. as far as the ball flanges i cut mine off so the flange bolts right up to my 3" custom dual setup.