Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How loud is...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How loud is...

How loud is Magnaflow? Is it alot louder than stock? I guess I am deciding betwen Loudmouth and Magnaflow and the only thing I am concerned about w/ Magnaflow is it beeing too quiet. I want to add headers, but not for another year or two (poor college kid). Can someone help me out. I listened on LS1Sound.com but I can't tell, and there aren't too many just stock Magnaflow clips. Can someone help me out?
Old 05-12-2005, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The loudmouth and magnaflow are too entirely different animals, and sound very different. The loudnouth is very LOUD and sounds like NASCAR. The magnaflow has a nice, mellow and deep sound. I've had both the magnaflow muffler and catback. The muffler by itself was deep and quiet at start up and low rpm's, and sounded muffled and buzzy at wot. I have the catback now and it sounds good. It has a deep rumble on deceleration and sounds good and decently loud at wot. With the catback I lost the buzzy/muffled sound. I hope this helps.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

At first I had a Loudmouth on stock manifolds and y-pipe... it was ok when i wanted to attract attention... but it gave me a headache anytime i had to drive the interstate for more than 10 miles. I then added LT's and the interior noise wasn't as bad believe it or not but man it was crazy outside. I switched to the magnaflow because I'll either be switching to an off road y-pipe or going back to stock manifolds soon and I think the Magnaflow just sounds better either way. But as far as good performing and great sounding no-trouble set ups... LT's ORY and Hooker cat-back seems to be the sweetest set up, Just wish it was stainless like the magnaflow... Oh and that reminds me... loudmouths (at least mine was) are made out of that crummy dull 409 stainless. Magnaflows pipes are made out of higher quality stainless that can be polished to a bright shine and the muffler and tips are already polished.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:03 PM
11 Second Club

If you want to add headers later stay away from the loudmouth, unless you don't mind buying some high flow cats to go with the headers.

Like redneck said, the loudmouth and magnaflow are totally different. Magnaflow isn't much louder than stock but sounds very nice while the loudmouth is LOUD and only sounds moderately nice. Remove the cats and the loudmouth gets downright disgusting (on LS1's) while the magnaflow sounds even better.
The maganaflow might not be loud enough for you. IT will sound good though, and when you with LT's and ORY it will be even better. I know you said you had it down to those two, but have you considered hooker? Hooker and magnaflow are both very good exhaust systems that aren't overpriced.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

I love the sound of the Magnaflow with the LT's and ORY. From inside the cabin it wasn't really noticable with the stock headers and cats, afterwards it's noticeable but enjoyable. Only thing I don't like is the rasp i'm getting with the Pacesetter Y but I guess I'll deal with that for now..
Old 05-12-2005, 11:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Magnaflow would be the way to go.. Love the sound of mine.. I don't have headers.. But has a very refined sound. Quiet inside the car. But muscle car sound on the outside.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:19 AM
TECH Regular

well if ur going for loud and u wanna attact attention like stated above go for the loud mouth. i persoanlly think it sounds great and i get tons of compliments on it. but to each is own. but with either one u wont be disapointed.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:26 AM
IMJ
TECH Enthusiast

i would recomend magnaflow if you are going to do other mods like headers and ory pipe but if your going to keep it pretty much stock go loud mouth if your looking for that muscle car sound...