Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat??

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thermostat??

Just wonderin if any of u knew of a way to tell if the Thermostat is going out or is out...my car has been running hot ever since the warm weather set in. Its not the coolant its full....its not the fans, they both are running. My only other thought is that it is the Thermostat. Any help I would be greatful.
Thanks.
Justin M.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

Mine was haveing the same problem . . to check it i took it out and put it in a pot filled with water. . Put the pot on a stove and let it boil. . If thermostat opens it works if it does not open look into buying a new water pump maybe.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how hard is it to remove the thermostat? Is it fairly simple. about how long would it take to remove it? Did u have to buy a new Thermostat Raul? I really need to fix this before it decides to OVERHEAT bad......thanks plz respond...
Old 05-17-2005, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Removing the tstat is easy, just pull the hose off and remove 2 bolts. (You'll loose some coolant so have something handy to catch it). Don't overlook the possibility of something blocking the radiator like a plastic bag, or the radiator cap not holding pressure anymore too.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea Ive already removed the filter holder/shroud top and cleaned the radiator itself and made sure nothing was blocking it.....thanks....I'll try it...the cap is holding pressure.....
Old 05-17-2005, 05:52 PM
Staging Lane

Well no i did not have to replace my thermostat . . My thermostat was just stuck closed and when i put it in the boiling pot it worked .. . so i was like wtf?? no more overheating? Put it in my car and never had a problem. . I figured my stat was just stuck closed.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Raul...I'll try this and see what happens....
Old 05-17-2005, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a step by step guide w/pics on R&R of the tstat at installuniversity.com
Old 05-17-2005, 06:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Seems like the car should overheat pretty quickly if the thermostat is stuck closed. How hot are you getting?
Old 05-17-2005, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok...I was told that if the Tstat was opening correctly that the radiator hose going to the stat and from waterpump would be plyable....able to squeeze.....well it was while car was running then after sittin a while the temp went up and the hose became tight...is this a sign that the Tstat is getting stuck somewhere while running? This issue is really starting to tick me off......would it be a waste of money to put a new stat in and flush radiator? Or would this be a good idea?
Old 05-17-2005, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the hottest is over in the red when i pulled into the driveway the other day.....since then been runnin with heater on and in this bama heat OMG its hot. but since runnin heater to the notch between 210 and the red......I dont think the radiator has been flushed since the car was new......and its got about 50k on the odometer.....think that this coolant is old and just not doin right or ya;ll think i should change Tstat and coolant....?
Old 05-17-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

also when i sqeeze the hose it sounds like a valve moving in the Tstat housing....not sure if its the Tstat itself or what it is.....I'm confused and T-d off....
Old 05-18-2005, 05:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'd say get a new t-stat and flush/replace all your coolant. This would be good maintenance anyways even if you weren't having problems. Be sure to properly bleed the cooling system when you're done.

Quick Reply: Thermostat??