Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help..............Dealership is acting shady

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help..............Dealership is acting shady

I originally bought my 2000 SS bone stock, with around 59,xxx miles on it. I installed a catback, long tubes and ory on it. Shortly after I noticed I was down on power. So I took my car to the dealership I bought it from(autoway ford)to have them replace the shocks because they were gone. Anyways, I told them the problems I had been having with the o2's and today they told me that one of the o2 bungs was cross-threaded and the o2 sensor was not going in all the way and causing an exhaust leak and neither of the sensors to work. I did not install rear simms because I will be getting them deleted, but the front were the stockers that came with the car. They told me they had to re-thread the o2 bung on the collector, which meant stripping off the header, and buy a new o2 sensor to replace the burnt out one. The worst part about this is they wanted to charge my $1,000 for everything including tuning(which I didnt think they could do on a gm car), and the shocks and of course their "service". I thought this was bs and wanted someone else's opinion on my situation. I told them not to touch the exhaust right now and was wondering if the bung is actually the problem, could I fix it myself??? I just think that and this seems shady to me. Sorry for writing a book on my problem, but something isnt right and if i can fix it myself there aint no way in hell I'm paying 1,000 for a ford dealership to fix it.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why the hell did you take it to a ford dealership period?
the fact you bought it there is immaterial. its a gm car take it to a gm dealer period.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i only took it there because the warranty is through them and my dad knows the owner. I really didnt wanna take it there, and btw, i'm 16 so for now what dad says goes. But very shortly I will be getting my car back and not paying 1,000 for what they said the problem was. I will take it to the chevy dealership and if that doesnt work, I'll fix it myself. nice car brooks.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

I would want to know what they consider tuning. With the longtubes, you should be having a dyno tune. Also, what are they charging you per hour and for how many hours.

BTW, like Cody Brooks said; I would at least take it to a GM dealership if you don't know of any good performance shops around there.

EDIT: I got my post in too late, I just saw yours above. If your dad knows the owner, don't you have any leverage. $1,000 does sound like alot.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Never take any car to the dealer. EVER Anyway, I do not think that is your problem. If the O2 sensor is in the hole I think it will work. When I put on my headers the one O2 would did not get very many theads. It worked until it fell out. After it fell out the car ran like Shi@ until the computer when in to back up mode. Then it ran OK. This shows that the car will run on only one. There could be alot of thing that will make u low on power. If the new stuff is hitting the frame it will pull timing. That happen to me to. If I were u, I would tell the dealer to put it where the sun don't shin and I would buy HP tuners software. Then u can delete the back O2s and see what is causing your problem. As far as the O2 bung my fix it was to grind a little off bung with a drumal tool. Cheep fix or me, but remimber mine fell out. I did have two O2 that i did not use after my header install so no bigy. lol anyway good luck.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

RedneckZ: My dad does have some leverage but seeing as how autoway is a chain, he cant have as much as he would if it was privately owned. Also, I dont know what the hell the guy was talking about when he said tuning. I'm almost positive they dont have a dyno on site. And plus, I highly doubt they can tune a gm car. I do know some good performance shops(RevXtreme), but I wanted to see if it was something bigger than just tuning and sensors. If I do get it tuned it wont be by the dealership, it'll only be done by Jeremy Formatto@RevXtreme.

YellowToy/A: I didnt think that if the o2 wasnt threaded properly it would matter either. But I could be wrong. I was just pissed when the dealership told me this because something isnt adding up.

I am going down there after school tomorrow and seeing what their idea of the "problem" is and what their method of fixing it is. If anything, I'll let them put new shocks on, and then get my car back. Thanks for the posts, still looking for some suggestions. Want this problem to get fixed and not for $1,000.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

take it to a gm dealer and use your warranty with the ford dealer. i bought my old t/a at a chrysler dealership with an extended warranty and id take it to the local pontiac dealer and they just sent the bill to the dealer i had the warranty through.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:49 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

dude take it to a GM/F-body shop not a dealer. 1000$ is ******* RIDIUCLOUS and BULLSHIT. Get many many more opinions do not pay them that much money.

Brad
Old 05-19-2005, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I will never pay a ford dealership $1000 for anything, dont worry. I guess i should have re-worded the original post. I'm taking my car back tomorrow, and not letting them touch the exhaust. i'll be paying chevy a visit, a local custom exhaust shop a visit, and my friends garage a visit. Thanks for the opinions, lol, last time this chevy will see a ford dealer.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:17 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

Originally Posted by hrsepwraddict00
I will never pay a ford dealership $1000 for anything, dont worry. I guess i should have re-worded the original post. I'm taking my car back tomorrow, and not letting them touch the exhaust. i'll be paying chevy a visit, a local custom exhaust shop a visit, and my friends garage a visit. Thanks for the opinions, lol, last time this chevy will see a ford dealer.
that's the way to go. let us know how it goes.

Brad
Old 05-20-2005, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not having a very good day today. I called the dealership back today to try and get my car back, but they had already receieved the shocks to put onto my car. I dont even wanna say how much they were, and they werent even the ones I wanted(my dads fault). They did cut 300 off the total bill, although the stuff they were telling me was wrong was little stuff that I could have fixed. Problem is my dad doesnt think I(16 year old) can fix it on my own. So after all the dealership is going to fix it for me. Not too happy about this situation, but its outta my hands right now. Hopefully the car will finally be running right and at least I can put this bad week behind me. Sometimes, parents just dont think their kids know what their talking about. Oh well, now its time to get a job and save up for some more mods............
Old 05-20-2005, 04:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is humorous to hear; I have a daughter who's 16, just taught her how to drive stick last weekend. The plan is to have her race with me on the weekends after she's been driving a year in a regular car. And your right, sometimes Dad's don't listen ( or Mom's ).

Anyway, let us know how it's running etc. What shocks did they put on it? Is it now 'tuned'?

Good luck
Old 05-20-2005, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not sure what kind of shocks they put on it, and im guessing their gonna do some kinda tweaking to the computer. Anything will be better than the way is was running. The car wasnt reading any of the sensors and was running extremely rough and rich. Although I'm upset it had to be like this, I cant argue with a better handling and better running car.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I wouldn't let them touch my car. just let them do the shocks, then get your car back.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You are getting hosed..get your car back and don't ever go to a Furd dealer to get it worked on...$1000 is a total ripoff...$700 is still a ripoff...just chalk it up to experience I guess..
Old 05-21-2005, 01:49 PM
Launching!

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

If something is wrong with an 02 bung, it would pry be cheaper just to plug the bad bung, drill a new hole and weld in a new bung.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not much I can do about this one guys. slt200mph said it best, im just gonna have to chalk it up on the experience board I guess. Oh well, I'm only 16 now, so I guess I just learned a valuable lesson for in the future.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got my car back today, and it feels alot better. The ride is alot firmer(new shocks) and feels alot more stable on the rode. My stock shocks had leaked completely so my car rode like a bus. I also noticed some restored power, but only time will tell how much of a difference it made. They fixed two leaks that i had and repaired a bad sensor, so hopefully everything is alright. I'm not sure if this is correct, but I think I remeber reading that it takes awhile for the computer to begin reading the sensors again(my fronts were dead) and after it picks them up, it slowly starts to compensate for the fuel tuning and such. Am I on the right track or way off?? Can someone tell me when my mileage will start to improve?? Also, I did notice it smelled alot less than it did before, so Im guessing it helped somehow. All in all, thats one of the last time I visit a dealership, and I will never deal with ford ever again. Good thing I like bowties...............
Old 05-23-2005, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

You're young yet. With all the help from the guys around here you should spinning wrenches with great pinache real soon. You can't win 'em all. Just try to learn what you can, do as much of your own work as you can, get help when you need it, and don't break too much in the meanwhile.

Good luck.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:02 PM
Temple, TX Resident

the shocks went out with 59,000 miles ???