Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ws-6's & damn rainshields.... lol

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 12:13 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ws-6's & damn rainshields.... lol

i have heard a lot about removing the rainshields on your hood..... hmm, but as i have been hearing, people cut them out.... i dont know about older trans am's, but the ones i have seen are easliy removed..... we removed the rainshields on my friends 02 ws6 by popping the center of the rivets that hold the shields in, and drilling the heads off of them.... it was done in 5 mins.....

i find it wierd that people have to cut their rain shields out of the hood.... and spend hours doing it.... when we removed his in 5 mins....

ws-6 guys chime in here..... looking for some info why they cut them out.... also to help future debaffling mods....

Dan
Old 05-23-2005, 01:07 AM
12 Second Club

i just did mine recently. i drilled out the rivets and just yanked out the guard
Old 05-23-2005, 01:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u can drill them or tap the side with a flat head screw driver, i did that carefully and didnt touch the paint, on my new hood, other one was pretty messed up, i drilled them out before it was painted. the ones that are in the front are glued as well so they are hard to pop out some times.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
u can drill them or tap the side with a flat head screw driver, i did that carefully and didnt touch the paint, on my new hood, other one was pretty messed up, i drilled them out before it was painted. the ones that are in the front are glued as well so they are hard to pop out some times.

Yah you get more air in there but you also get in a whole bunch of other **** in there. I did that to mine too and I got in dalt and road grime, that is because I live up here in Boston, snow and salt great.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

i dont get any **** in mine at all, i did however when i did the FRA mod
Old 05-23-2005, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is what i followed when i removed mine.

http://www.geocities.com/brian98ramair/Baffle.html
Old 05-24-2005, 01:28 AM
Staging Lane

any major problems when it rains like hell?? my hood is an aftermarket ( suncoast maybe??) with the air cutout parallel to the ground (square hole in underside of hood over airbox area). i guess it is like an SS style hood on the inside, but the intakes are WS6 style. I'm running a volant airbox, so it works out pretty good good actually. i've been thinking about cutting mine out, but don't know if i'd have a drenching problem!
Old 05-24-2005, 07:12 AM
TECH Resident

havent had a problem with mine in the rain yet and i have the BGRA molded to the hood with no baffling whatsoever inbetween. ive even started it after washing the car with the air filter still a little wet without any problems. id say youre fine. there are a couple posts on here of road racers with ws6's running at WOT in heavy rain without any trouble.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

i have no problems, if u have the kind that forces air in frm the top, like the aftermarket hoods, it might be a close call becuase the water can fall onto the filter, with the stock set up you would have to suck the water up and there isnt enoug suction for that. a misty day may make the filter a little soggy.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:00 AM
Launching!

hmm, my friend has a firbird that he cut the scoops on his hoood out... and when it rains... he just takes a piece of spongie foam cut to size and jams it in there.... and it fillls up the whole area, and since when you do this mod... the foam would rest against the airbox..... you wouldnt have to really worry about it.....

Dan
Old 05-24-2005, 10:02 AM
Launching!

actually from what i have read, a little water is good for a motor..... but a lot is bad....

Dan
Old 05-24-2005, 10:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
i dont get any **** in mine at all, i did however when i did the FRA mod
isnt FRA mod a little wastful with ws-6? when your going, the air is justblwoing back down into that hole that you sucked into to the hood scoops....

Dan
Old 05-24-2005, 11:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by v DaN 02
isnt FRA mod a little wastful with ws-6? when your going, the air is justblwoing back down into that hole that you sucked into to the hood scoops....

Dan
I was thinking the same thing..
Old 05-25-2005, 09:34 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by v DaN 02
actually from what i have read, a little water is good for a motor..... but a lot is bad....

Dan

Um, that was a joke......right?!
Old 05-25-2005, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
Um, that was a joke......right?!
haha i hope so
Old 05-25-2005, 11:27 AM
TECH Veteran

I've seen water injection in diesels...I believe it's all in how it's used.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:47 AM
Launching!

hmm, no i actually read that a little bit of water (moisture) in an engine can be a good thing once in a while.... it gets burned right out......

but i could have been reading stupid people's information..... you know how the internet is

Dan
Old 05-25-2005, 02:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Actually, a little water is good. Or at the very least isn't necessarily bad. I had a '97 Grand Prix GTP that had a much smaller than stock blower pulley. To off set the additional heat that was getting generated, I installed a water injection kit in the intake just after the throttle body. This was before intercooling was available for the L67... or at least was financially practical at the time.

I tore the engine down a couple times and there was very little build up of any type on the internals. The inside of my engine was steam cleaned every time I got above 3.5lbs of boost... which I could do pulling out of my driveway. If I had it to do now, I'd go with an intercooler, but at the time H2O was the way to go. It served me well.

Marc
Old 05-25-2005, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

if u put a little in there im sure it will end up evaportating fast enough and its only increasing the saturation level of the air. water will do nothing, put it in the compbustion chamber and thats just more water to enter the exhaust and corode parts. compressed air gets hot so the humidity level drops so you are able to add water with a supercharger with not ill effects, just increase in humidity. however on a car that isnt compressing the air in the intake, that water stays water, or partial vapor/water mix, and wouldnt be a good idea lol.

little bits arent bad, as long as its so little it will evaporate. on a rainy day pretty much any water that gets sucked in stays water. not good, u cant compress water like you can gas