Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you choose???

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you choose???

With long tube headers, would you choose a aftermarket catted y pipe, or an ory pipe......I live in an emissions area, but i still think i want to go with the ory.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can give you some input as I finally finished my exhaust and cam change. My system consists of Kooks 1 3/4 LTs, Kooks ORY, Borla XR-1, GMMG, through CME tips...the cam is a Rapid Motorsports custom grind...the sound is awesome...but...by going with the ORY instead of cats, there is a very strong smell from the unburnt fuel and I am getting a large deposit of black "soot" on the tips every time I run the car...I'm sure my case is exaggerated as the cam is very large, but I can't imagine being able to pass an emissions test with an ORY. I'm not saying DON'T go with the ORY, just be advised that there are side effects...
Old 05-23-2005, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the set up in my sig. I agree with lawman about the smell, it defenitly noticeable. I like my set up and havent even thought about a catted y. As far as emmissions go I know I wouldn't pass. Good luck.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check with your local laws but I think when you move the cats from their original location they are no longer emisions campatible anyway. I say go with the ory and go make friends with someone that does inspections.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by exstanger
check with your local laws but I think when you move the cats from their original location they are no longer emisions campatible anyway...
Technically, that's a Federal law, so it's applicable in every state. It just becomes a matter of how stringent your local testing procedures are, and as mentioned, it helps to "buddy up" with an inspection mechanic...With the exception of places ruled by "Smog *****," I would say that if you have cats on the car, they aren't going to nit-pick you on their location...just my .02