Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SES Light (AIR System) any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SES Light (AIR System) any ideas?

The SES light came on, and i got it scanned...

P1416 - Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System Bank 2

is this something i should fix right away, or leave it as it is for a little while until i can get HP Tuners and rip out the AIR system completely?

The car runs fine, and I don't think it could be causing any major damage... any ideas?
Old 05-30-2005, 06:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Gamefan008
The SES light came on, and i got it scanned...

P1416 - Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System Bank 2

is this something i should fix right away, or leave it as it is for a little while until i can get HP Tuners and rip out the AIR system completely?

The car runs fine, and I don't think it could be causing any major damage... any ideas?
If your AIR's on its way out, I'd just leave it off and deal with it when you get the AIR tuned out of your system, but that's just me. I don't know what kind of emissions testing you deal with, or if you are annoyed by a SES light on or not. To me it's just something unnecessary that clutters up the engine compartment. It may be something as simple as replacing an AIR gasket; I don't have any experience in dealing with these codes though...but you do have the options of getting it fixed, taking it off, or taking it off and tuning it out.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:53 PM
TECH Regular

You can just pull the relay on the AIR system if you are not planning on using it anyway. It is under the hood on the driver's side.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:40 AM
Teching In

I just wanted to make sure that it's not hurting anything if i leave it alone until i get some tuning software, or should i attempt to fix it first?
Old 05-31-2005, 07:47 AM
On The Tree

no.. it wont hurt a thing.. its just serves for emissions purposes.. to add air to the exhaust. if it goes out *which it usually does* then get it turned off. unless u have a warrenty.. then get it done.. and then turn it off
Old 06-13-2005, 11:46 PM
12 Second Club

ok newbie question, whats this air system you guys are talking about him getting rid of, cause my cars light just came on and read the exact DTC.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JSmee99T/A
ok newbie question, whats this air system you guys are talking about him getting rid of, cause my cars light just came on and read the exact DTC.
basically it's a pump that comes on when you first start your vehicle and occasionally while driving that helps get your cats warmed up to operating temp. so if you remove the system, your cats will not get up to temperature in as quickly as they would. that's their only real purpose. if you're in a state with emissions testing, that might be a problem removing the actual system because it will set a light...luckily emissions is one thing the ***** in Kansas don't test for, so I really know nothing about it. but if you're not prone to emissions testing, and you don't want to spend money fixing a system that really doesn't do you any good anyway, you might consider removing the thing as it really doesn't help/harm your car's performance--it's just dead weight I think ls1camaro.net has a write-up of how to remove the AIR system if you're needing instructions on it; it's pretty straightforward, you have to rip the AIR pump and AIR solenoid out, remove the tubing that is associated with the system, and block off your AIR inlets on your headers or manifold (whichever the case may be). also be forewarned that not having the system in place will cause the service engine soon light you are already experiencing because the system will not be there. you can get the light to stop lighting up if you get someone to edit your car's PCM and tune it out but that's a different realm altogether....
Old 06-14-2005, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's great having KS plates...no emissions testing whatsoever! I would like to test my car just to see how badly it would fail the sniffer.