Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Long tubes for an '02 SS
Hooker
1.92%
Pace Setters
34.62%
Kooks
36.54%
other
26.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Headers...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers...

for an '02 SS with a few bolt ons and will be gettin cammed in a few months

which long tube headers??? did wanna spend over a thousand on the headers,y-pipe, and installation accessories...(NO CATS)

-Pace Setters
-Hookers(coated)
-Kooks
-other

i want a pretty decent header that fit good, looks good, and sounds good

my main concern is fit and leaks
looks are not my main objective but i do want them to tuck up somewhat nicely to give me some ground clearence

thanks
Old 05-30-2005, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Hey man... I got an 02 SS too and i just saved up for my headers that im gonna get next week. I decided to go with the QTP Long Tube Head's. You can goto their site at Quicktimeperformance.com. I think they got one of the best quality made headers today. With the stainless steel you can't go wrong... you don't want none of this coated **** so if i were you i'd save up and buy the QTP... run yea $800-1k a pot. Mine are the air fittings for $800. They fit good so i hear, also look good onced polished... but looks arent what you want with heads. Your looking for quality, #1 priority... over time coated headers rust around the fittings so save up man...

And you'll never go wrong with QTP/Kooks... Read up on JRP Exhaust Guide... you'll learn alot man!

Also listen to what these guys gotta say... they know what there talking about.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:32 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Pacesetters
Old 05-31-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Pacesetter for the $$. Plus they were so easy to install that I laughed when they both slid in 3 minutes...

Last edited by silver02Z; 05-31-2005 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

I voted for the pacesetters. I picked up a set and the fitment was perfect. Save the money and put it toward your cam.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you asking?

Common knowledge, easy to find searching says pacestters are best bang for the buck while kooks/QTP's are THE best. Pick based how much you are willing to pay (to an extent you get what you pay for) and whether or not you want stainless steel.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:32 PM
11 Second Club

QTP all the way!
Old 05-31-2005, 03:47 PM
TECH Resident

Q T P
Old 05-31-2005, 07:06 PM
SSU, come over and relax

search
Old 05-31-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Veteran

I've had the Pacesetters since June of 03 with no problems,coated, my numbers arein sig.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hands down, pacesetters
375 coated, cant beat the fit, 3/8 flange, etc
Old 05-31-2005, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Full-Force
hands down, pacesetters
375 coated, cant beat the fit, 3/8 flange, etc
All you guy's that own Pacesetter's, of course your gonna tell him to get them too. But your really miss leading him when in fact your waisting your money on something that will rust in 2-3years. Sure it takes time to rust but they eventually will... My best advice to you man is save up your money. Don't get impatient and go blow $400 when you'll want to be buying stainless 3 years later like everyone else. And have to blow another $800... it just doesnt make since man. Im telling you, knock some sense in , save up the money man and get good quality, your not paying mainly towards performance... ask anyone. Your paying for the quality. $400 isn't to reassuring to me man...
Old 05-31-2005, 09:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSrookiekid
All you guy's that own Pacesetter's, of course your gonna tell him to get them too. But your really miss leading him when in fact your waisting your money on something that will rust in 2-3years. Sure it takes time to rust but they eventually will... My best advice to you man is save up your money. Don't get impatient and go blow $400 when you'll want to be buying stainless 3 years later like everyone else. And have to blow another $800... it just doesnt make since man. Im telling you, knock some sense in , save up the money man and get good quality, your not paying mainly towards performance... ask anyone. Your paying for the quality. $400 isn't to reassuring to me man...
Many people run coated mild steel, surface rust and all. It's not like it's going to rust through. I'd say stainless steel is less common based on what I see.
Fact is you can buy pacesetters twice vs stainless steel once, if you have to. I recommend pacesetters for budget minded individuals, and I run Jet-Hots that were on sale for $515 (GP actually). If pacesetters were out at the time (esp for $375) I would have been SOO happy.

I would either get pacesetters or QTP/kooks.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:48 PM
12 Second Club

I'll be the lone wolf voting for the hookers. Nice quality, nice price.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Other than cosmetics what is rust gonna hurt? I have yet to see a set of coated headers all the way up the tubes in the engine bay, so the cosmetic part doesnt matter much to me.

I work on alot of F bodies and have seen flowtech, pacesetter, hooker, and jet hot. I will tell you one thing for sure. Either buy the pacesetters or buy stainless. Why? Because the pacesetter is atleast as good of quality, and fit as the jet hots and hookers.

So I m just trying to give advice on products that have been in my own 2 hands, not just based on what I have read. Just trying to help.

The car I just got done with had flowtechs and the flanges were 1/4" so that would be enough for me to pass on. The flanges were wavy from the bolts pulling on the flange.

Even if a header rust, you wont be buying a new set of headers on the count of it. Not me anyway.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
I would either get pacesetters or QTP/kooks.
I said that... get QTP. QTP & Kooks is like... boxers or briefs? give me a break man but ****... why would you want to buy pacesetters twice? LOL its not worth it man... just be smart and save up... I'LL STATE THIS RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW.

" IM 17 YEARS OLD AND IM BUYING A PAIR OF QTP LT'S, I WORK AS A P.O.S. CASHIER AT A SUPERMARKETS MAKIN $6.50 AN HOUR... I GET $40-70 THE USUAL PAY CHECKS... rarely $100, now no one can sit here and complain about not having enough money as an excuse and going out to buy pacesetters. I work my *** off for months and months just to save up for barely enough and i have to get the rest as a 18th birthday gift...

**** wait till its your b-day, christmas, Hanukkah, Easter... **** get the F***in money on Thanksgiving for all i care... but if i could take the time to save up for these dam things... anyone can.

I think my point is BOLD.

Make that a famous Quote.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Full-Force
Other than cosmetics what is rust gonna hurt? I have yet to see a set of coated headers all the way up the tubes in the engine bay, so the cosmetic part doesnt matter much to me.
If the rust got bad enough to make any kind of hole. Then anything before the o2 sensor would be an exhaust leak and completely throw off your o2 volts and thus a/f. So not all cosmetic, hypothetically at least.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:40 PM
Launching!

SSRookiekid is right. I posted a while ago about getting either stainless steel or ceramic coated headers, and after reading what everyone said and weighing everything out, I realized that the smart thing to do was go with stainless steel, so my vote is for the KOOKS I actually ordered mine today, and I am happy I actually went and spent the extra $$$$ to get some excellent quality headers so I can be worry free about having rust occur. Also, if you look at alot of the threads on here about headers, read the ones about the pacesetters. They seem to be hit or miss with them and the quality, so spend the extra $$$$ and dont worry about having to do your own fabricating to them or rusting and replacing them. I live in FL and with all the rain we have down here, it became a no brainer for me. When it comes to my car, I am not cheap and have no problem spendng extra money to take care of it. You've heard the old saying, "You get what you pay for". Well that rings true especially when it comes to something like headers. Your car will thank you. Good luck with your decision. I trust you will make the right one

Last edited by Red99TransAm; 05-31-2005 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like my Stainlessworks. Very nice quality headers. Plus if you go with CATS, they use Random Techs which I think are the best.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by glennhl
I like my Stainlessworks. Very nice quality headers. Plus if you go with CATS, they use Random Techs which I think are the best.
I agree! If they were out a few years ago (when I got my SLPs) I would have defintely bought them. You simply won't find a better set in the aftermarket, no contest.