Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got bullets? Got Drone? Look in here!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got bullets? Got Drone? Look in here!

I was having a problem with horrible drone. My td's consisted of Hooker lt's 3" td's with a H pipe and dynomax bullets dumped at the rear axle.

I was getting drone at about 1600-1800 rmp which was about 40-50 mph (most speed limits) and it was driving me crazy. I decided to do something about it the other day and was looking to install some under the axle pipe and extend it out the back.

I cut off the turndowns and plotted out my idea. I was all set to go to the auto parts store when I started my car to drive down my ramps. It sounded much deeper and interior drone was way way down. I took it for a spin and it sounded great! Almost no drone at all at cruise speeds. Even wot sounded better. I'm still going to extend it out the back but not because of drone, I just like how it looks more with pipes out the back.

Hope this helps someone out.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:02 AM
Launching!

so your saying dont point it downwards? just straight out?

I do not think thats the greatest idea.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmmm....duals out the back. What an awesome idea! I don't know how you guys deal with turndowns on a daily basis. I have duals out the back with 4 inch round Magnaflows. I still get some drone in the same rpm range as you talk about it but it's not the kind of drone that makes my brain itch.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SOM98TA
so your saying dont point it downwards? just straight out?

I do not think thats the greatest idea.
Why not? Pointing the exhaust at the ground isn't going to stop exhaust from getting where you don't want it. When you sit there idling the exhaust goes down torward the ground and maybe out a little but it's hot air so it rises up under your car.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:17 PM
13 Second Truck Club

I've got the same problem (dumped b-4 the axle, it's a truck) and have thought about extending it out the back. I know for a fact that the exhaust dumping under the vehicle causes the resonace (sp.) because I have this bridge that I go over that has the metal grate at the top and every time I pass over it my truck sounds like it just cut off, it's that quiet...
Old 06-06-2005, 03:10 AM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to eliminate drone, point the dumps towards each other instead of to the outside of the car.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:26 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Tim @ EADPerformance
If you want to eliminate drone, point the dumps towards each other instead of to the outside of the car.
Ditto on that one. I had mine out the back, under axle, but the shop failed to do collectors as I requested, so pipes got cut during a rear end swap. Now turn downs are facing out, need to change them facing in. Kind of feel bad since my buddy hooked me up while I was deployed with all the work.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:36 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Any particular reason why this works? Just wondering if its just something that works or if there is some science behind it. Getting ready to install TDs myself (Pacesetter LTs, TSP TDs w/ ORX & Moroso Spiral Flows) and wouldn't mind tweaking the TD install a little to get the turndowns pointed toward the side or towards each other if I knew for a fact that it would cut down on interior resonance/drone. Thats the only thing I'm worried about regarding the whole install.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:24 PM
12 Second Club

would this cause the exhaust to stay under the car?
Old 06-07-2005, 01:38 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by josh99ta
Any particular reason why this works? Just wondering if its just something that works or if there is some science behind it. Getting ready to install TDs myself (Pacesetter LTs, TSP TDs w/ ORX & Moroso Spiral Flows) and wouldn't mind tweaking the TD install a little to get the turndowns pointed toward the side or towards each other if I knew for a fact that it would cut down on interior resonance/drone. Thats the only thing I'm worried about regarding the whole install.
Pulses cancel each other out.