Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Me!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 09:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Me!!

How Can You Tell When You Need New Plugs, Wires Or Cats, Guys?
My Car Has 85,000 Miles (mostly Freeway Driven) On It. No Misfire And No Codes! When I Am At Low Speed Low Idle Then Give It A Little Gas I Hear A Mild Sound That I Think Is Coming For The Cats. And The Last Couple Days The Car Does Not Start Right Up. The Starter Is Turning A Few Times Before It Starts! And If I Have The Gas Pedal Down And Start It Then It Makes A Rapid front Exhaust Type Clicking Noise. That Noise Is Only Heard When Starting The Engine! Help Me Please Guys The Search Button Is Use Less For This Situations.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Just to start off...
If you have 85k miles you are defintely due for a tune up. I would do new spark plugs (NGK TR55's gapped somewhere between .050 & .060), new spark plug wires (MSD, Taylor), and fuel filter.
You should not have to give it gas to start it.
As far as the cats being bad, I believe there would be a code for this. Correct me if I am wrong.

On another note...
Compass and thermo rearview mirror (in your sig), how did you do it? I have been thinking of doing this.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:52 AM
Launching!

OKAY I WILL BUY THAT STUFF RIGHT NOW!! AS FOR THE REAR VIEW MIRROR GO TO WWW.JCWHITNEY.COM
Old 06-07-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Second it -plugs,wires,fuel filter,pcv valve,air filter
Old 06-07-2005, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shouldaboughttheZ
Just to start off...
If you have 85k miles you are defintely due for a tune up. I would do new spark plugs (NGK TR55's gapped somewhere between .050 & .060), new spark plug wires (MSD, Taylor), and fuel filter.
You should not have to give it gas to start it.
As far as the cats being bad, I believe there would be a code for this. Correct me if I am wrong.

On another note...
Compass and thermo rearview mirror (in your sig), how did you do it? I have been thinking of doing this.
Yes you would get a code for cats if they were bad. If the plug wires aren't dry rotted or broken I wouldnt replace them. I have the MSD wires but only because I got pissed at cylinder 8 and pulled it off. I can't tell any difference in performance.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:23 PM
Launching!

Okay Guys I Just Bought Some Ngk Plugs And A New Fuel Filter! The Gap On The Plugs Are Already At 55, Some At 56, 57 But None Over 60 Do They All Have To Be Perfect?
Old 06-07-2005, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

They need to be as close as you can get them. I'm real maticulous about that sort of thing so I would say yes they need to be exact. Anyone have an actual answer?
Old 06-07-2005, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CW01WS6
They need to be as close as you can get them. I'm real maticulous about that sort of thing so I would say yes they need to be exact. Anyone have an actual answer?
Agreed!
Mine were all slightly off from one another. You ALWAYS check the gap and regap the ones that are off.