Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR removal question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR removal question

hi, i been reading up on the ls1camaro.net article on how to remove the air and egr. I only want to remove the EGR for now. i got the 1 3/8" freeze plug and a "EGR Block off plate" from speed inc, i went to try to remove it today and i noticed, theres 2 hoses under the EGR pump, one hose goes under neath the car, probably to the cat? the other hose is the one that goes from the pump to the intake. if i unbolt the pump, and the tube to the intake, what will happen to that left over hose? is it just supposed to hang there? also is this EGR block off plate for my intake? i thought there was a hose going to my headers that i had to block off, or is that only the AIR. The only things i see connected to the headers is the tube that goes around behind the engine. Let me know
Old 06-11-2005, 11:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ok wait a sec

I think what your are calling the egr pump is actually the air pump. The egr is a solenoid like valve that sits down and to the left of the intake if your are looking under the hood and has a metal pipe coming up and going into the intake. The egr also has a metal lipe that goes to the passenger side manifold. To remove the egr you just need to unbolt the pipe from the exhaust, unbolt the tube in the top ofthe intake, and unbolt the egr valve itself. Unplug the connector for the egr and chunk it in the trash, or store it away. The 1-3/8 freeze plug goes in the hole on the top of the intake. You will need block off plates to put on the exhaust.

You say the only thing connected to your exhaust is the hose that runs around the intake. That is the air pump hoses and if thats all that is connected to the exhaust then it doesnt sound like you have an egr valve on your car.

Im not up on the small stuff like what years have what but a search will answer more than I can.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Full-Force
ok wait a sec

I think what your are calling the egr pump is actually the air pump. The egr is a solenoid like valve that sits down and to the left of the intake if your are looking under the hood and has a metal pipe coming up and going into the intake. The egr also has a metal lipe that goes to the passenger side manifold. To remove the egr you just need to unbolt the pipe from the exhaust, unbolt the tube in the top ofthe intake, and unbolt the egr valve itself. Unplug the connector for the egr and chunk it in the trash, or store it away. The 1-3/8 freeze plug goes in the hole on the top of the intake. You will need block off plates to put on the exhaust.

You say the only thing connected to your exhaust is the hose that runs around the intake. That is the air pump hoses and if thats all that is connected to the exhaust then it doesnt sound like you have an egr valve on your car.

Im not up on the small stuff like what years have what but a search will answer more than I can.

no this is the EGR valve, its the big solenoid looking thing on the passanger head. it has a metal hose under it, that goes some where under the car, and the intake tube going to it. im gonan look again and try to see if that metal tube is connected to the headers. but form what i saw it looked like it went down along with the headers.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

BTW i have SLP LT headers. yea i just traced the metal hose from the EGR valve, and it goes under the header, and bolts up there. theres no way i can get to it, even from under the car it seems. what can i do? can i remove the valve and leave that hose there? maybe cap it off some how?
Old 06-12-2005, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thunder Racing sells a block off plate for the header connection to the EGR. You can get to it, just takes some flexibilty and patience.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

i can probably get it off, its putting the plate on it, thats gonan be hard. its being connected like under the headers. very hard to get to.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

If I read this corectly, the egr hose goes to the intake and to the top front of the passenger side manifold, you should not have any thing that goes under the header, you should be able to disconnect it with the stock headers in place, it is a 10 mm bolt X 2 that is it, and one bolt behing the TB again a ten MM. The air pump is slightly further back on the manifold, and again on both sides it is easily removed from the top.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

above is correct

i dont know what slp headers look like in person, so maybe it is hardto get to