Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sweet Thunders vs. Flowmaster 1 Chamber

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 02:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sweet Thunders vs. Flowmaster 1 Chamber

Sweet Thunders vs. Flowmaster 1 Chamber
I've seen threads of sweet thunders being compered to bullets but not to a flowmaster one chamber mufflers.
Q# 1 - Which ones would sound and flow better ????

Also I want to use them to exchange bullet on my TSP Rumbler cat back.
So far, I came up with two options:
-Just direct replacement in place of a bullet, which would be only one Flowmaster/Sweet Thunder.
-Installing two of each behind the axle
Q# 2 - Which option would you suggest ???

If You got any other ideas please help, but I think that I would prefer putting it behind the axle,so than I can put a pipe in the middle section ( I pipe )
cuz the drone from the middle of the car where the bullet is now is pissing me off !!!

My car is a 2000 Camaro SS M6
Exhaust mods: Flowtech LT's, Flowtech Y-pipe, TSP Rumbler cat back

Last edited by Super Sport Beast; 06-21-2005 at 02:33 AM.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do not put one Flowmaster in the I-pipe and expect it to make power. Those mufflers are not designed to handle all exhaust with just one muffler. They work best in pairs. My vote would be for a Sweet Thunder in the I-pipe 18" long, or even better, a pair of 1 Chamber DeltaForce Flowmasters in the rear. Then again, you can get a pair of custom made Sweet Thunders with shorter baffles like I have.....the chambers are only 9" long
Old 06-21-2005, 11:59 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

The single chamber flowmaster's flow great. The Sweet Thunder's flow okay, but not great. You can get a 3" ID Flowmaster 10 vs the Sweet Thunder 2.5" ID. Both will be stupid loud, and both will actually have tone to them. So, buy whichever one is cheaper. A bullet will outflow both, but won't have any sort of tone, just insane loudness.

As long as you stay away from the cross-flow flowmasters, they are a fine, cheap muffler that makes power with a very nice sound. Too bad most F-body guys are so down on them.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

neither of them flow good at all and youll be giving up power going with them.

i been in cars with both setups and imo the flowmasters sounded better, but there was drone with both.

fyi, no flowmasters flow good. i have a 3.5" delta force race muffler and gain 14hp and 10 ftlbs by opening the cutouts. sounds good as **** though
Old 06-21-2005, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys, anyone else have their opinion?
Old 06-21-2005, 01:31 PM
Launching!

Magnaflow
Old 06-21-2005, 01:32 PM
Launching!

Magnaflow. Cheaper and flow better.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see how the Sweet Thunders don't flow well?? You can almost stick your arm through them! They have the baffles that stick down, but they are still wide open all the way through. I don't have dyno gains, but I picked up a solid .5 and 4 MPH with the LT's and TD's. That's proof enough for me. Not being biased, I think both sound great.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On sweet thunders and flow, points I have seen people post that you should think about:

1) The mufflers are relatively far back from the engine, at a point where the exhaust gas should have cooled/shrunk and not require as much pipe to maintain flow. Even if the ST's had a 2.5" internal diameter at this point it should be okay for most of our cars' power levels.
2) The ~2.5" core of the ST's proabably flows better than a striaght 2.5" pipe.
2)
Old 06-21-2005, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
On sweet thunders and flow, points I have seen people post that you should think about:

1) The mufflers are relatively far back from the engine, at a point where the exhaust gas should have cooled/shrunk and not require as much pipe to maintain flow. Even if the ST's had a 2.5" internal diameter at this point it should be okay for most of our cars' power levels.
2) The ~2.5" core of the ST's proabably flows better than a striaght 2.5" pipe.
2)
That's exactly what I was thinking too, so if I still can get a great sound out of ST's and it would not change the flow as much If I'll install two ST's behind the axle, That's probably what I'll be going with.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:34 PM
TECH Regular

Another vote for the Sweet Thunder. The flow may not be as good, but the sound...