Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise from A/C

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Noise from A/C

I have been having a chirping sound come from the a/c. I replaced the a/c belt and the idler pulley a few months ago and the noise came back. Last weekend I pulled the a/c pulley off of the tensioner and put more grease in the bearings since it looked dry/empty, also put a brand new belt on. Well, when I put a new belt on it stops the noise for about 2-3 days then it starts up again. Could it be the actual arm of the a/c tensioner? I am just about to start pulling my hair out over this noise.
Please help!
Thanks!
Michael
Old 06-21-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine did the same thing it was the ac compressor it self. Don't know how to fix it I took the ac out of my car for weight/cleaner engine bay but check that out might find your problem.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:10 PM
Teching In

How would I go about checking to see if it is the compressor making noise? Can you have the bearings in the compressor replaced without replacing the whole compressor?
Old 06-21-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grand Prixs have this problem... or at least one that sounds the same. Turns out it's a flap (door) just above the blower motor. The procedure to fix the problem was elaborate, but it worked. If you search on clubgp.com you should be able to find the repair procedure.

Marc
Old 06-21-2005, 08:04 PM
Teching In

nytmare1, the only reason I do not think it is what you suggested is because when I put a new a/c belt on it stops the noise for a few days.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

I'm having the exact same problems as you. Is there a way we can grease the bearings on the compressor without removing the compressor from the car?
Old 07-16-2005, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a clacking noise that sounded like a loose rocker arm. It only did it at idle and was worse when the engine was first started. I narrowed it down to the clutch on front of the ac compressor. I bought the parts to replace it only to find out it's more complicated than I thought and needed special tools and pullers that no one around here rented or loaned out. A few shops I talked to wanted to replace the whole compressor to fix the problem because it comes with a new clutch. I sprayed penetrating lubricant on it after I removed the belt and let it sit overnight. Cleaned the exess off the next morning and it's been quiet for a year now. Not sure why your noise went away and came back after a belt change, but something else to look at. I did the same as you and removed all the little idler pulleys on the engine and lubed them because they were all dry. I think my problem was caused from cleaning the engine to often with Simple Green.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:51 AM
Teching In

HavATampa,
thanks for the advice. Now, I am stumped again. It was quite for a better part of a month. Just the other day it started again. The noise come on when I have the a/c on only, when I turn the a/c off it goes away. I am starting to worry if it is the compressor bearring itself???
I just wish this damn noise would go away!!!
Old 07-29-2005, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

Mine's been doing the same thing and I've been looking for a used AC compressor. Maybe it's cause we're in TX.