Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intake: Firehawk vs WS6???

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default intake: Firehawk vs WS6???

as i was replacing the air lid on my firehawk, it appeared to me that the inlet looked rather small. I looked under the hood of my friend's WS6, and the inlet appeared to be much larger. this makes no sense to me since the firehawk is supposed to be a model up from the WS6. i'm hoping that SLP did this for a reason.

i'm posting links to pictures of my intake inlet, and also what the back of the ram air inlets looks like.

intake inlet
firehawk hood
Old 06-29-2005, 02:20 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there is much more room in the front of a ws6 hood for the air box to be raised higher. firehawk hoods dont sit as high. (u know the 4 inlets in the front)
Old 06-29-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

ahh, that makes sense... i think you just saved me the embarassment of buying a WS6 lower assembly and then not having it fit!

i wonder how different the flow rate is, and if i should explore alternate means to make that inlet larger (read: hack it up). i'm still praying that SLP did it that way for a reason and the numbers all match up.

does anyone happen to have a picture of what the back of the WS6 hood inlets look like?
Old 06-29-2005, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No pics - but I can describe it pretty well. Instead of having the 4 holes you've got, imagine the entire area open. Then, run a small, plastic support picece (about 1/2" wide) down the center from top to bottom. That's it!

The hood "outlet" is actually bigger than the airbox "inlet". When you put weather stripping to seal the things (which it looks like you've done), you figure this out pretty quickly!
Old 06-29-2005, 02:39 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't waste my time trying to make the inlet bigger...I don't think it would make much of a difference for the trouble it might be.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats funny, my buddy has a 10th ann. firehawk and got him a dremel tool and went to shop on the hood outlet. He claims to outrun vettes and swears up and down that his "modified" hood helped. I dunno if this is true or not, never seen him run a vette, and he wont run me. Then again, he goes to UTI, maybe that **** went to his head...You guys tell me.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:21 AM
TECH Addict

ok, SLP quotes 335hp, 4.9 0-60 and 13.5 1/4mi on the 01 firehawk... not competing with a car that has more ponies and a lot less weight... without serious mods that is... and cutting up your hood ain't gonna do it.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:51 AM
TECH Regular

Rumor has it that SLP tested their airbox vs the WS6 airbox and didn't see enough of a gain to warrant the raised airbox. I can't remember if I read that out of an old magazine article or on the firehawk.org website...