Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to buy underdrive pulley

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to buy underdrive pulley

I did a search on this and really didn't come up with a whole lot, even though I imagine this has been asked a million times. I want to get an aftermarket underdrive pulley, and take advantage of the 10hp it gives you before I head off to the track for the first time this year. Everyone seems to go with ASP, although I see that March now makes one too which is 20 bucks cheaper. Does it matter which one I buy?? Is there anything else I need to know before installing it. Do I need to change both belts?? Do I need a puller or will a traditional socket do the job?? Just don't want any problems to creep up on my during and after the install. Thanks a million in advance!!
Old 07-05-2005, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

I've heard guys are really happy with the new SLP underdrive pulley, check that one out
Old 07-05-2005, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, here's my opinion. I'm probably the only guy on here with this problem though. I had an ASP pulley on my car. Going down the interstate one day, the harmonic balancer part of it (the part in the middle) simply disintegrated, and it busted both belts (main serpentine and A/C).

Now, ASP replaced it with no questions - just sent it to them and they sent me a new one. Because of the rules of the class I was running at the time (Street Prepared), pulleys were not allowed (they are now). So, I replaced it with a stocker.

Also, March makes pulleys for almost every type of car you can imagine - from Vettes, to Camaros, to Mustangs. They've been doing it a LONG time. If it was my car, I'd get the March. But, you'll get a lot of people who have had 0 problems with an ASP.

I won't say "don't do the ASP", because I probably got a freak bad one. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you could go with either and get the same performance and durability.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would check out the SLP one, i heard good stuff about it, and for your other questions, yes you will need new belts, two of them... go onto slp's website and they give you the part number for the belts. Also i'm pretty sure your going to need a pulley puller to get them off. Also keep in mind different brands make different pulleys, either 10% or 25%, so make sure you know which one your getting...
Old 07-05-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered the powerbond pulley from tsp for $219. It is stronger than the ASP and has high walls to prevent belt slipping. It's the one SLP uses and puts their name on. Same as SLP only cheaper. For $219 you get the pulley, both belts and bolt.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Damn redneck you're going to town! Good info! I'll keep that in mind for myself!
Old 07-05-2005, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
I just ordered the powerbond pulley from tsp for $219. It is stronger than the ASP and has high walls to prevent belt slipping. It's the one SLP uses and puts their name on. Same as SLP only cheaper. For $219 you get the pulley, both belts and bolt.

what site did you get that from?
Old 07-05-2005, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

www.texas-speed.com
Old 07-05-2005, 07:36 PM
11 Second Club

I am happy with my SLP pulley so far. Go figure, I'm happy with an SLP product.

I wouldn't have any hesitation in going with March either.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'll go with the SLP one. I take it 25% is fine right??
Old 07-06-2005, 07:45 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZeeQuick
Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'll go with the SLP one. I take it 25% is fine right??
Yes, it is.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:33 AM
Launching!

Not to scare you off or anything, but you may have problems with the belt slipping off. I did with my March pulley. Not saying anything is wrong with the March at all. I've heard of people having problems with the ASP as well. Its a rare problem but it does happen. You just may want to budget for getting a tensioner as well. ($130)
I hope you don't have to, but at least you are now aware that it is a possibility.
Good luck with whatever you decide!
Old 07-06-2005, 03:10 PM
TECH Resident

Will a regular old harmonic balancer puller work for pulling the LS1 HB? 00 Trans Am is it possible the balancer came apart from over revving. I had it happen to me twice. Not an ASP not even on this car. I had one on a Mustang that was pressed together. It didn't dicintegrate it seperated and ate a hole in the timing chain cover. The other one came apart right in the center. Just wondering if that was a possibility on yours.

Last edited by blue01ta; 07-06-2005 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:20 PM
Launching!

I used a 3 jaw puller to pull off the stock pulley. The March pulley has too large of a bolt pattern for the standard $20 puller from autozone. I would say that if you can get it to bolt to whatever HB you have it should work.