Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**HELP** problems after ls6 intake install

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 08:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **HELP** problems after ls6 intake install

the car does start, but it idles at 4000 rpm and it sounds like its hitting off a rev limiter or something. ANY IDEAS OR THOUGHTS WOULD BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:25 PM
12 Second Club

You got all the hoses in the back plugged back in??
Old 07-07-2005, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

yea im almost positve, but the only way to check is to pull the manifold off right.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

its either a huge vacuum leak or you have a mouse that got stuck in your throttle body while it was off.Make sure you have no vacuum leaks and try to remember if you had the gaskets on the bottom of the manifold on correctly.you would have to pull it to check.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:36 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i'd also say vaccum leak. you did remove the KS clips and using the ls6 coolant tubes and plugs correct?
Old 07-07-2005, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

yes i did remove ks clips. i also did use the 2 plugs and the new front coolant pipe. what do you mean by the gaskets on the bottom of the manifold. are they the gaskets that are around the ports on the intake. im so pissed i even did the swap. i should of took it to someone who knows what there doing.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Make sure the throttle linkage isn't in a bind.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

iff the throttle linkage is in a bind wouldnt the butterfly on the throttle body be open a little. but it isnt though.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1BAD_Z28
iff the throttle linkage is in a bind wouldnt the butterfly on the throttle body be open a little. but it isnt though.
Yeah thats why it was just a suggestion/checkpoint
Old 07-07-2005, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you use NEW gaskets for the intake ports and torque to spec? Also, you should be able to reach around back for the 3 things that join with the intake without removing it. Did you re-hook the hose from the intake back into the firewall?
Old 07-07-2005, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

Did you use NEW gaskets for the intake ports and torque to spec? Also, you should be able to reach around back for the 3 things that join with the intake without removing it. Did you re-hook the hose from the intake back into the firewall? Let us know what you find.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

i bought the intake new from gmparts direct, i dont have a torque wrench but ls1howto said you can do it without one. i did check and the 2 small lines are connected but i cant really see the big hose. that was the one that my friend put on, or said he put on. i will look at that one tommorow when i can see better.
THANKS ALOT GUYS I'LL KEEP YOU POSTED
Old 07-07-2005, 09:56 PM
12 Second Club

If you can't see it.... its not there. It's HUGE. Theres your problem.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:04 AM
Staging Lane

the big vaccuum line comes from the drivers side then you have a small line coming from the passenger side and 3 sensors to hook up 1 is for your knock sensors i hooked all mine up before i slid the intake all the way back gave me a little more room
Old 07-08-2005, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

First, check to make sure that your throttle body is tightly bolted to your manifold. If you have an air leak after the MAF sensor, you will have a wildly high idle. I did that when doing a "home-made" EGR blockoff plate on my old LS1 manifold and I idled around 3000 or so, and it would fluctuate.

Second, give the manifold a good old reacharound. You will be able to feel all the stuff back there. You should have a big hose (connected to the brake booster) coming from the driver side and connecting to the rear of the manifold. Then, you will have some small vacuum hoses that hook into the passenger side of the intake. Actually, there are 2, that form a "y", then hook into the manifold as one.

And, finally, there is the 1 sensor that plugs into it on the passenger side. (all this stuff is in the back)

Oh, also, make sure you didn't crack your oil pressure sensor. It is a small, upright plastic thing, about the size of a canister of 35mm film. It is just on the driver's side of all the plugs in the back, screwed to the manifold. I broke mine off - but if you just cracked it then you may not have realized it (just wiggle it, it shouldn't move).

I just did mine 3 days ago, and I screwed up a few things (oil pressure sensor, didn't take off all the EGR crap I could have, etc.), but finally got it fixed. Once it's all done, it's worth it!!

Also, redneckZ, I'm not sure what you mean by "new gaskets" - the LS1 and LS6 intakes have integral gaskets that cannot be replaced.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

The intake gaskets can, and should, be replaced whenever you pull the manifold. It is pretty cheap insurance to prevent any leaks.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

ok i have all 3 hoses hooked up in the back of the manifold(2 small 1 big). i didnt break the oil pressure sensor. the throttle body is on tight no leaks there. i guess theres only one thing left to do take it iff again
Old 07-08-2005, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

can anyone remember what the color of the 2 small hoses that goin into the back of the manifold. because i found 2 L SHAPED black ones when i was starting to pull it off again. maybe i plugged the wrong ones back there????
Old 07-08-2005, 11:50 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1BAD_Z28
can anyone remember what the color of the 2 small hoses that goin into the back of the manifold. because i found 2 L SHAPED black ones when i was starting to pull it off again. maybe i plugged the wrong ones back there????
If they are all hooked up then yeah take it off. I have a 00 like you so I should have the exact same hardware. Do you still have your EGR and Air pump hooked up? Cause I just did my LS6 install and as we speak I have to go and re hook the vacuum line that goes to my AC box. I blocked it off thinking it was for my air pump.

All the hoses are black. The one from the passenger side should go into the wiring harness (the fat one) that goes into the T fitting (if you still have your air pump) which goes into the hole right below the MAP sensor. I don't know what 3 sensors the other guy was talking about. The Drivers side is the huge brake booster line.

Call me I can explain it to you. I'll PM you.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

QUOTE: Also, redneckZ, I'm not sure what you mean by "new gaskets" - the LS1 and LS6 intakes have integral gaskets that cannot be replaced.

My friend and others on here have bought LS6 intakes that have not come with gaskets and/or had gaskets too worn like mine that had to be replaced. You CAN and SHOULD replace these gaskets if necessary. They are like $80 though if I'm not mistaken. A while back some people were even selling new LS6 intakes for cheap that didn't come with gaskets.