Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Pops after WOT????

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 09:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Exhaust Pops after WOT????

Hey, well i have borla and some other very minimal bolt ons so no tune. After i go WOT and let off the gas, it makes a popping noise? Why is it doing this, is it ok and what do i need to do to fix it? Thanks

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 07-19-2005, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does it sound like this http://www.ls1sounds.com/magnaflow/m...Y_flamesTA.MOV
If so try thishttps://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328977

That is what ended up being my problem, you heard what mine sounded like before and the flame throwing, fixed it right up.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:58 PM
Teching In

I also have Borla and mines been doing that (not horribly just once in a while) since I bought it and a little more so after headers. I’m not 100% sure but I would guess it’s from the stock pig rich tune. A new tune should fix it. (Correct me if I’m wrong guys) Try whats said above before you do this.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:01 PM
Temple, TX Resident

my car backfired a lot after i put my headers on and now that i got rid of my air injection it hasnt back fired at all since then and actually feels like it runs a lot better and my gas mileage has gone up a lot ... and also the engine bay looks a lot better
Old 07-19-2005, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

Just to chime in again, when mine popped at wot and on decel like a down shift or just letting it come down on it's own after wot w/out throwing it in neutral I though it was my tune aswell. We fully enabled the DFCO still didn't fix it. tried many other things and it ended up being the air pump like stated above in my first post. Actually it is the checkvalves in the lines going to the headers/manifolds. sounds like that is what fixed SiRgReg23's problem aswell. Not saying that will fix your problem for sure but it might.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:30 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

So its prolly my AIR set up that usually gets deleted by most anyway? if so ill get it taken out when i do my other mods, if its not hurting my car or anyhting ill jsut wait. i jsut wanted to make sure my car wasnt going to blow up or somehting was wrong. lol thanks guys

Old 07-20-2005, 01:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well when you let off the gas and it's coming down with ZERO throttle and it pops that would indicate a lean condition. That is what my Harley would do and my 4 wheeler, the proper jetting took care of that....which in these cases was a larger pilot jet.....so the proper tune will correct it for your car as well.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:35 AM
Teching In

I do see how the air would cause this, the air system itself is one huge exaust leak anyway afterall.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:36 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

ok yeah, it is when i let off to zero throttle. Its prolly my POS MAF, i would swap back to stock MAF but i odnt have it. my car came with this one when i bought it. oh well, i get it changed out when i do more mods. thanks

Old 07-20-2005, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

my catback does this also, its when i am cruisen at high speeds and i let off then hit the gas again.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Pops after WOT????