Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ok need a little advice...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok need a little advice...

ok guys i installed my headers last night, and the jackass that i am i crossthreaded the rear passenger side header bolt. i crossthreaded about half of the bolt. i had such a feeling that is was crossthreaded but i just kept going. now i fully understand what actions i would take to coreectly fix the problem, most likely pull the head and h ave teh whole retapped, however i am not interested in pulling the head off of the car at all.

I did have an idea though. like i said the bolt is half cross threaded in, now if i go and buy a shorter bolt, and then a couple of washers to get to tighten up the header on that side, with the only threads being used being the ones that are cross threaded it should work. i know that it is ghetto but it has to be better than now bolt in there. right?

Thanks
Louie
Old 07-26-2005, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

i'd have someone helicoil the bolt hole for you. still requires pulling the head but thats the right way to do it. you want to do something, might as well do it the right way the first time.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

Well you may have wrecked the threads on the bolt and not the head, same thing happened to me but luckily the bolt went instead of the head threads.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:01 PM
TECH Resident

i am pretty sure it was thehead. i took the car out today, and i actually dont hear or see a leak back there. my driver side rear bolt head was broken off of the factory manifold and there was no leak. once i get the catback reinstalled i will then check again for leaks and from there i will take a course of action. although i will not pull the head only to reinstall it. if there is a leak and my fix doesnt work, then i will just live with a little leak until i get new heads.

Thanks
Louie
Old 07-26-2005, 02:07 PM
SSU, come over and relax

haha if i was you i would read the quote in your signature
Old 07-26-2005, 02:17 PM
TECH Resident

why is that, because i am going to live with a small annoyance for a couple months(if it is there, which as of right now i dont think that there is a leak honestly) so that i dont have to have my car down for a week in the summer when most likely i will put it away for the winter soon and get new heads...

all that i am saying is that there appears to not be a leak, if it is there it is nothing that i can even notice. if i do notice it i will try a couple things to fix it, however if i pull the heads i will be putting new ones on.

That is all.
louie
Old 07-26-2005, 02:29 PM
SSU, come over and relax

haha i was just joking with ya

if you plan to get heads soon then might as well just leave it how it is
Old 07-26-2005, 08:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by skywalkrNCSU
haha i was just joking with ya

if you plan to get heads soon then might as well just leave it how it is
yeah i hope to have heads early next year, not to mention i am going for fast and cheap..lol

good news though, the header doesnt leak at all. me and a buddy of mine checked and then i took it to the exhaust shop and they checked. i am good to go believe it or not.

however i do have one unbearable horrible exhaust leak, i call it loudmouth i need to get a damn borla, this loudmouth is horrible!