Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine bucks, surges, loses power, etc and Gauges Drop and then Flash???

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Engine bucks, surges, loses power, etc and Gauges Drop and then Flash???

ok well when i am driving sometimes my gauges will die and then all the lights light up like when you just turned the car on and right before it does it sometimes will start to run alot shittier (bucking, surging) and sometimes want to just die then and there, idle goes way low. Any ideas, bad ground, fuses?

99 camaro, Pretty much new 6.0L (~800 miles), cam bolt ons

usually when i start the car everything is great, but once i get driving and stuff, it happens.

Thanks in advance for all the help.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have ridden in the car.

All of a sudden, car bucks, gauges peg out, return to zero, then return to normal positions. Car drives like **** while this is occuring.

When the gauges are back to normal, it drives fine.

Battery connections are tight and non-corroded
Old 08-24-2005, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same ***** happening to me and my car

I am blaming it on the battery, I believe the car still has the original stock one in it

I'll ask my mechanic to test my battery & alternator tomorrow.. advise you do the same

Trust me, its either one or the other. Or both
Old 08-25-2005, 12:07 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SiL3NtXWS6
I have ridden in the car.

All of a sudden, car bucks, gauges peg out, return to zero, then return to normal positions. Car drives like **** while this is occuring.

When the gauges are back to normal, it drives fine.

Battery connections are tight and non-corroded
I know if you are below a certain volt level on the battery, teh guages will do that at start up. But never heard of that happening while driving.

you Checked all electrical connections, alt, starter, etc.. Might be a short somewhere? How about the ground that runs back of the motor? You check that as well? Just some thoughts..
Old 08-25-2005, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

keep em comin
Old 08-25-2005, 01:20 AM
10 Second Club

Is it a hit miss thing.. Like when you give it a little gas like on the highway it will buck and surge? Or just whenever like WOT or a little gas at take off what?

Your guages freaking out like that has to be an electrical thing. But surging and bucking?
Old 08-25-2005, 05:25 AM
Launching!

I was changing out bulbs in my cluster once and had to run across town suddenly. I just poped the cluster back in without securing it. It did the same thing as yours when it would barely shake loose. Gauges would go nuts and car would surge. Doubt if your panel is loose if you haven't messed with it. If your battery and stuff is fine, there might be something wrong with the cluster. Probably not much help...just figured i would chime in anyway.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FloridaZ
I was changing out bulbs in my cluster once and had to run across town suddenly. I just poped the cluster back in without securing it. It did the same thing as yours when it would barely shake loose. Gauges would go nuts and car would surge. Doubt if your panel is loose if you haven't messed with it. If your battery and stuff is fine, there might be something wrong with the cluster. Probably not much help...just figured i would chime in anyway.

He does have an aftermarket panel installed by the previous owner..
Old 08-25-2005, 09:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jdoyle

99 camaro, Pretty much new 6.0L (~800 miles), cam bolt ons

Have you gotten the car tuned yet? Do you have your own tuning software or access to someone that does?
Old 08-25-2005, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
Is it a hit miss thing.. Like when you give it a little gas like on the highway it will buck and surge? Or just whenever like WOT or a little gas at take off what?

Your guages freaking out like that has to be an electrical thing. But surging and bucking?

it just does it when i am driving, no special occasions, it just picks its own time to do it.

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
Have you gotten the car tuned yet? Do you have your own tuning software or access to someone that does?
no tune yet, but i will be on the saturday after this one coming up.

Thanks for all the help guys
Old 08-25-2005, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
Not sure how tuning would impact this. It randomly started, and has gotten progressively worse and worse.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

the side post of the battery might be broke inside, and when you hit a bump or turn sharply the positve post temporarily looses contact with the battery. used to have the same problem with my camaro till i swapped the battery.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmmmmm, all new things to try and test this weekend. keep em comin guys
Old 08-25-2005, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Default damn....

same thing happened to me (gauges flippin out and such), also my AC wouldnt kick on b/c of low voltage, but then mine just completely died. Happened to be the alternator
Old 08-29-2005, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

battery and alternator will be tested this weekend, also the gauges will be looked at as well.

thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply: Engine bucks, surges, loses power, etc and Gauges Drop and then Flash???