Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

relocated battery to trunk, now pcm re-resets on every startup?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 04:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default relocated battery to trunk, now pcm re-resets on every startup?

like the title states. all connections are good, good ground and all. 2 gauge wire used.

every time i start the car, the tripometer clears to 0, the instrument needles peg, then come back down to zero, then go back to normal. if this is normal my car never did it before. i don't know wtf could cause this, i didn't change anything, if anything the car is running more efficiently now, windows go up faster and volts are reading higher.

wtf? help please.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know what the problem is, but seen posts on the '99 gauges sweeping and resetting the odo on start up - replacing the battery usually clears it up. There's also a TSB on it, 99-08-49-009 for an instrument cluster replacement.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:17 PM
TECH Veteran

sounds like the car is loosing power with the key off (though why, I can not say)......is everything "clearing" before you try to "crank" (turn the starter)? My only guess is:

a) perhaps you don't have a good enough ground (or positive connection) to supply the starter and it's pulling everything "dead"......
or
b) you must have a loose ground.....

I personally never have had any problems with my relocation........
Old 08-28-2005, 05:31 PM
10 Second Club

the connections are all good- i cranked the **** out of them when putting it on. im also sure the ground for the battery is good, didn't change/touch anything else...

now, it does not do it when the key is in the "on" position before i crank the car over. once i crank it over it starts immediately, then all of the gauges "sweep" accept for oil pressure and volts- those 2 stay normal.

it is not loosing power when the car is off- i tried my lights and such and everything is perfect. all of the sounds (like lights left on) are much louder than they were before, bottum line the car is seeing more voltage than it was before

so what is this about the gauge cluster? that sounds like the problem right there, can i get it replaced for free from gm or what do i do.

thanks for the responses.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:49 PM
10 Second Club

i just hooked my hptuners up to the car- logged ign. voltage.

when the key is on i get 11.8 v.

when i start the car it drops to 7v for a SPLIT second before going back up to 13.2- 13.5v.

im beginning to think it is the gauge cluster, i don't think 7v is low enough to clear the ecu for that short 1/2 second but i could be wrong.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

what size wire did you run from back to front? you may have too small of a wire causing a nuge voltage drop at the starter and ecu.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:05 PM
10 Second Club

2 gauge wire.

it is the cluster- all of a sudden it just stopped doing it and seems fine now . ******* cars.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:25 AM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

This is common on 99s and slightly lower voltage, it doesn't take much of a voltage drop. Your relocation kit is most likely fine, there is a TSB out with the real fix.