Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with FAST intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 07:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problem with FAST intake

I took off my LS6 intake and started to put on my 90mm FAST intake but I ran into a problem. My coolant cross over line on the front of the cylinder heads will not let the intake set down on the cylinder heads. Its holding it up just behind where the TB would bolt up to it.

I thought about trying to bend them down a little but I'm afraid I'm going to cause them to leak because that line is so rigid and has zero flex.

I'm sure someone has had to run into this problem before.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 09-09-2005, 09:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have read in past threads that you need to bend the tube down slightly...I did not install mine, so I can't tell you from personal experience...
Old 09-09-2005, 09:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LawmanSS
I have read in past threads that you need to bend the tube down slightly..
LawmanSS is correct, you'll need to bend it down enough to clear. Also don't forget to replace the stock valley cover bolts with the one's that came with the intake.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Hawkn01
LawmanSS is correct, you'll need to bend it down enough to clear. Also don't forget to replace the stock valley cover bolts with the one's that came with the intake.

I bought my intake from a person and they did not include them. However when I laid the intake down on the valley cover, I noticed they were kind of holding it up somewhat.

So, I am going to need to bend that coolant line As rigid as that line feels and as far as I am going to have to bend it, I fear for the result, but I'll try it tomorrow.

Do I have to buy those bolts from FAST or are they something I could pick up locally you think?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 09-09-2005, 10:56 PM
TECH Junkie

You need button-headed allen bolts...M8x1.25x32mm (according to GM parts manual)...you should be able to find these locally...ACE hardware stores usually have a nice selection of metric bolts...

EDIT: The OEM bolts are 32mm in length, but 30mm will most likely be what you'll find and will work fine...
Old 09-10-2005, 12:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LawmanSS
You need button-headed allen bolts...M8x1.25x32mm (according to GM parts manual)...you should be able to find these locally...ACE hardware stores usually have a nice selection of metric bolts...

EDIT: The OEM bolts are 32mm in length, but 30mm will most likely be what you'll find and will work fine...
Thanks alot, that was a huge help! I have a Hurricane (Ophelia)breathing down my neck and if I have to evacuate, I'm going to need to get that car out of here

Jeff
Old 09-10-2005, 12:50 PM
10 Second Club

I put a block of wood on my coolant tube & tapped it with a hammer until it fit (NOT much). And yes, get some button head bolts. At the least you will have a ton of noise coming out of your intake from sitting on the stock bolts. At worst it will crack it!!!
Old 09-10-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
I put a block of wood on my coolant tube & tapped it with a hammer until it fit (NOT much). And yes, get some button head bolts. At the least you will have a ton of noise coming out of your intake from sitting on the stock bolts. At worst it will crack it!!!
Yes, I definitely will be getting those bolts. I dont want to damage the intake.

Thanks,
Jeff