Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Billet LS1 LS2 Valve Covers

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 12:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Billet LS1 LS2 Valve Covers

Hi Guys,

Totally new member here. I'm developing some billet valve covers for the LS1 and LS2 motors. I'm looking for some feedback on a couple of things. Attached are a couple of pics of what I have so far. I’ve designed them to use the stock mounting bolts/grommets and seals. I’ve also incorporated mounting the coils right onto the covers to do away with that ugly stamped steel bracket.

First, there is a 3/8" hose barb on the stock passenger side valve cover. Would this hose connector be a necessity? If so, I can incorporate a –AN style barb fitting but I’m trying to find out if it’s something people would want/need.

Second, I have the same basic question regarding the breather grommet on the drivers side cover. I’ve already incorporated that into the design as you can see in the pictures but just thought I’d check on the need/want of it.

Also, is there a general preference for having a flat top to the covers or “fluted” like shown in the pictures? I will probably offer both versions but would like to get a sense for what’s more popular.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails Billet LS1 LS2 Valve Covers-ls1a.jpg   Billet LS1 LS2 Valve Covers-ls1b.jpg  
Old 09-27-2005, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

those are pimp. i want a set sign me up...... what kind of pricing are you looking at and are you thinking of anodizing?

leave them fluted i like the indentations.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

I would like the plain better, with the design in it, makes a place for dirt to go. As for the mounting of the coils, make a bracket for them. Its a pain in the *** taking 8 seperate coils off.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:50 AM
TECH Addict

Another vote for the plain, non-fluted covers. They look pretty good to me.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well the hose barb on the passenger side I beleive is for the stock PCV system. It is necessary if you have the LS1 PCV system but NOT necessary if you convert to the LS6 PCV. I would love to see a set plain, it is a pain to take off all 8 but if you have a metal bracket it will cover those nice looking covers. Kind of a toss up.

-William
Old 09-27-2005, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Another vote for plain with some kind of design eched or milled in.
Excellant work though.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like the fluted design, though I do see the point about dirt getting in there. Not hard to clean really though-

I would use just thread the hole for the PCV on the driver's side cover with an NPT thread. Then offer a nice -AN style fitting, or an equally nice plug, or a hose barb, depending on what someone wants. Makes it easy for everyone to configure however they like it.

Regardless, great work!
Old 09-27-2005, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

It looks like the ball milled version would go over big with the hotrod guys and the smooth would do well with the late-model guys.

You could also do a cast version with a raised CHEVROLET logo something like the 572 crate motor comes with.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Those look real nice. I like the style you show but I think the smooth would look great too. I'm in the air over the coil packs. I think its nice to have the coils mount to the covers directly but I could see it being a pain to take each one off.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really nice Don't mind the flutes, like the fact that the coils don't need brackets to mount. Make them tall enough to fit roller rockers and you may have a set sold
Old 09-27-2005, 11:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Those look really good. The rear coils might be hard to get off mounted to the covers. Some kind of quick disconnect coil bracket would be nice Also a taller version would be helpful too.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those look great! I like the individual mounting of each coil. It looks much better w/o the bracket there! I like the grouves in there. That's part of what makes them look soo good! It would be nice to have an option to have either smooth or with the grouves cut in. Many people have the 98-00 PCV system, so you'll need to somehow account for both styles. Whether it be a screw in plug...I dunno? I'd say as long they're tall enough to fit aftermarket roller rockers fit in there, you have a great product!
Old 09-27-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

looks very good!
I like the idea of the coils directly too the valve cover, yeah it might be alittle harder to get them off, but how many times a month do yall actually take them off?

If you do end up selling these, make them available with and w/o the milling and with and w/o the coil mounts. It would/could/should be cheaper to make and sell a style w/ no milling, no holes for coils, and no pcv stuff. The others just end up taking more time and money, but priced right, they will do great.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Those look really great! I'd be interested in a smooth set with PCV provisions. I would also need about 1/8" more clearance than the stock covers for my RR's.

What kind of $$$ would you be asking for a set?
Old 09-27-2005, 02:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They look very nice...I think the keys to success for you will be making the various options available and price them right...
Old 09-27-2005, 06:12 PM
12 Second Club

will the stock plug wires reach or will you need custom length
Old 09-27-2005, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nice work!

Please keep this post to technical information only (no pricing or contact info) untill you become a sponsor.

For Sponsorship information, please contact john@ls1tech.com or tony@ls1tech.com
Old 09-27-2005, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Thanks a bunch guys, all good info and the feedback is much appreciated.

Yes, the stock plug wires work fine. The location of the coils don't really change, it just has a much cleaner look without the bracket.

It sounds like the major consensus is I need to offer numerous styles and versions. That's fine with me but I'll have to work into it. The material cost and machine time is prohibitive to have a bunch lying around. I'm a new business and just getting started.

So, it sounds like I need;

a) smooth top, no coil mounting, no pvc
b) smooth top, no coil mounting, w/pvc
c) smooth top, w/ coil mounting, no/pvc
d) smooth top, w/ coil mounting, w/pvc
e) fluted top, no coil mounting, no pvc
f) fluted top, no coil mounting, w/pvc
g) fluted top, w/ coil mounting, no pvc
h) fluted top, w/ coil mounting, w/pvc

Yowza. That doesn't include some extra designs like embossed Chevrolet, LS1, etc. I think I'm going to have to narrow in on some specific versions to start out with. I ordered some thicker stock to mill out some taller versions to see how they come out. I'm also going to make some smooth top versions to see how they look.

Something else. Would there be any interest in offering a coil relocating bracket for the people not wanting the coils on the vc's? Do most people relocate them to the back of the heads, on top of the motor near the intake manifold, etc? Would there be a good universal location or would it be too vehicle specific? Thanks again.

Mark
Old 09-27-2005, 11:00 PM
Motorboater

only thing i think some are forgetting..part of what the ugly factory coil brackets do is hide the even uglier coil pack harness which isn't on the coils in these pics.

you'd have to find a way to put the harness on that wouldn't look like a big *** mess with parts of it sticking up here and there and no way to avoid it snaking between the coils. just food for thought. my vote would be a nicer version of the factory bracket, one not rounded at the ends, etc. lot to be improved on with that fractory bracket and could add alot to what you are doing with these covers and still hide that stupid harness.

nice work bud.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:39 PM
Teching In

good point Ghost, they would be fairly simple to make. I'll take a look and see if I can come up with something.

Mark

Quick Reply: Billet LS1 LS2 Valve Covers