Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crackling sound!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 11:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default crackling sound!

hey everyone, im soon going to redo my entire exhaust system. i heard a 99 ls1 the other day, all the guy said he had in it was heads, cam, intake and exhaust. he didnt say what kind or anything. all i know is that car sounded sick! and there was really no crackling noises like i usually heard from cars with a cam and exhaust. what i want to know before i do my setup, is what exactly is it that causes the crackling noise?
Old 10-24-2005, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UnZFeat'd
hey everyone, im soon going to redo my entire exhaust system. i heard a 99 ls1 the other day, all the guy said he had in it was heads, cam, intake and exhaust. he didnt say what kind or anything. all i know is that car sounded sick! and there was really no crackling noises like i usually heard from cars with a cam and exhaust. what i want to know before i do my setup, is what exactly is it that causes the crackling noise?
well its hard to say because every exhaust sounds different..and everyone descirbes them differently. I believe that its the extra fuel in the exhaust igniting from running rich.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

well, its not quite that sound. i know what youre talking about and thats kinda like when the engine is revving down, right? im talking about when the engine is idling and its like a 'crackle, crackle, crackle' not a pop or anything like that.... damn, its so hard to describle sounds!
Old 10-24-2005, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, its not quite that sound. i know what youre talking about and thats kinda like when the engine is revving down, right? im talking about when the engine is idling and its like a 'crackle, crackle, crackle' not a pop or anything like that.... damn, its so hard to describle sounds!
i think i knwo what your talkiing about..I like that sound...lol.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:44 PM
Teching In

Don't know if this is what you're talking about, but sounds like what usually happens w/ a big cam... called cam lope. This is when the exhaust and intake valves are open at the same time - with more aggressive cams, the lope (aka intake and exhaust valves both open) is a longer period of time than a stocker. Although it gives you a rough "crackling" idle, it really helps in the upper RPM's where you need the extra airflow. I think this is what you're hearing. That combined with a set of solid lifters on a big-block will definitely make that sound you're talking about...
Old 10-24-2005, 05:47 PM
Teching In

also:

if you keep the stock cam, and simply redo the exhaust, you won't get too much of a lopey idle, since the idle is determined by what cam you use. They keep the stock cams pretty tame, to please the masses of people and sell more cars - there aren't too many buyers out there (outside of performance-oriented) that want that really rock-your-car-like-crazy idle
Old 10-24-2005, 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

ya that is what im talking about. sounds just like a big block! dont get me wrong, i like that sound. i like it a lot. but i like the smoothness this car had. is there any way i can get a deeper sound without so much crackling? more like a rum rum rum rum, and less of a cak cak cak cak.... ya know what i mean?
Old 10-24-2005, 06:30 PM
Teching In

hmmm.... well, sounds are tough - mostly because it's all up to the listener's ear. What sounds good to me, might sound like garbage to you, and vice versa. I say try swapping the exhaust to a muffler that you've researched to have the sound range you want. Outside of that, headers will help a little with a reverberating sounds, but to get a rumpy idle, a cam is the only way to go. But try the exhaust with a stock cam - you might just like it! stock ls1's can sound pretty good with the right exhaust setup - and by this I mean the right setup for your ear. If sound is the only thing you're after, it's not worth the time, effort, and money to swap a cam - I'd save the money and go for other mods first...
Old 10-24-2005, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

I love the sound of a lopey cam! It's the main reason I would want to get one. Sounds mean as hell.

www.ls1sounds.com
Old 10-24-2005, 11:22 PM
TECH Resident

well, thats the thing... i know you guys are gonna give me hell for this, but i dont really want my SS to sound 'mean' i want it to sound 'creepy' like a rumble, but not so much like a pro stock car. damn! i think this kid is on this forum too, his name is cal. he was the one with the 'creepy' sounding car. it had a deep deep tone, and you could hear some lope, but it was very subtle. i guess i just really liked the way that car sounded and i want my car to sound exactly like that!
Old 10-25-2005, 12:12 AM
Teching In

Default Loppey camz

Those big cams can do wonderful things to the driveablity of your cars Something to think about, if its daily transportation
Old 10-25-2005, 01:56 AM
10 Second Club

there are a few things that could be causing it to crackle and sound like crap such as: Borla, GMMG or SLP exhaust
Old 10-25-2005, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

well, thats the thing... i know you guys are gonna give me hell for this, but i dont really want my SS to sound 'mean' i want it to sound 'creepy' like a rumble, but not so much like a pro stock car. damn! i think this kid is on this forum too, his name is cal. he was the one with the 'creepy' sounding car. it had a deep deep tone, and you could hear some lope, but it was very subtle. i guess i just really liked the way that car sounded and i want my car to sound exactly like that!
I bet you'd be VERY satisfied with just a cutout on a stock exhaust. That's what i've got on mine and it sounds just like what your talking about. Deep tone (loud as hell) and very subtle lope. go to ls1sounds.com and navigate to the "headers/cutout" section. there are a few clips on there of ls1's with a stock exhaust with cutout. I think you'll be happy.

[edit] Oh yeah, its still gonna sound mean though, so if your wanting "creepy", i dunno.