Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

opinions on DUAL cutouts please . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 04:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lightbulb opinions on DUAL cutouts please . . . .

hey, i don't know if i should go with 1 electric cut-out on the I-pipe or 2 electrics . . . . 1 on each side of the y pipe. . . .

i know, i know, i know, . . it'll be loud, . . but that's kinda what im aimin for . . or would 1 on the I-pipe be as loud? i like the dual idea cuz im prob gonna run them both half-open for a nice grumble . . . . opinions?? anyone with dual cutouts?
Old 10-27-2005, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1 in the i-pipe is plenty. I added a header collecter in the back right before it turns into the muffler first. Then later I added a flowtech non-electric in the I-pipe. I have LT's now so I really don't run them open around town its just too loud. I think you will be happy with just 1 in the i-pipe.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:53 PM
TECH Resident

Single QTEC in the I pipe is all you need.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree, all you need is a cutout in the I pipe. It's plenty loud with longtube headers and an ORY pipe or even a catted Y. Draws a lot of attention, especially when your car has a nice lope to it.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:51 PM
12 Second Club

Were on the I pipe are you guys putting them, torwards the rear, or right off the Y?
Old 10-28-2005, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm planning an exhaust for my car and wanted to have LT's, a catted Y, cutouts, and leave the stock catback on there. I considered two cut outs but there's really no where they'll fit on the catted Y pipe. I'll probably install just one cut out in the I-pipe. I'm sure it'll free up the exhaust and still sound nasty. (Not to mention that it'll reduce cost a little.) I'm happy to see that many of you have a single cut out and are happy with it.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jditlfm
Were on the I pipe are you guys putting them, torwards the rear, or right off the Y?
I haven't decided exactly where on the I-pipe to put the cutout but it'll be somewhere where it won't heat stuff, like fuel lines . And I'll use a dump fitting on it.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

On my z28, I have dual cutouts, one on each side right after the header and it sounds really good. Really loud too. My friend also has TA that has a cutout in the I-pipe and he likes it, but wishes it could be louder. However, my cutouts are before the cats and his cutout is(obviously) after the cats. But if loud is what you want, dual cutouts sounds pretty good.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sh33p4u
On my z28, I have dual cutouts, one on each side right after the header and it sounds really good. Really loud too. My friend also has TA that has a cutout in the I-pipe and he likes it, but wishes it could be louder. However, my cutouts are before the cats and his cutout is(obviously) after the cats. But if loud is what you want, dual cutouts sounds pretty good.
Hey, you were able to fit the cutouts before the cats? Do you have LT headers?
Old 10-28-2005, 12:39 PM
Staging Lane

Just got my single cut-out on my car,by the rear of the I pipe and I am loving it.Trust me sounds great.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've had dual cutout's in place of the cat's and now I'm currently running one in the I pipe.The sound is definatly better in the I pipe IMO.

Last edited by Oatmeal; 10-28-2005 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmmm, thanx for the info!!!! i know that one on the I-pipe is loud but i jus thought dual cutouts might mean open headers? i might jus go with one now, (also because of cost) . . . . now, . . new question: on the I-pipe or by the axle??? if i do an i_pipe one imma do a turndown pipe . . . any suggestions? comments???
Old 10-28-2005, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
hmmmm, thanx for the info!!!! i know that one on the I-pipe is loud but i jus thought dual cutouts might mean open headers? i might jus go with one now, (also because of cost) . . . . now, . . new question: on the I-pipe or by the axle??? if i do an i_pipe one imma do a turndown pipe . . . any suggestions? comments???
There is a place right before the axle in the I pipe,If you go under the car you will see, It looks as if the cutout was made to go there.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

when putting the cutout after the ipipe does the exhaust still go through the rest of exhaust?
Old 10-28-2005, 11:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RAIDER
when putting the cutout after the ipipe does the exhaust still go through the rest of exhaust?
yeah just no where near as much.
I had two QTEC cutouts one on each side AFTER two bullets. so it was LT header, bullet, cutout, y pipe.
It sounded BADASS! ground clearance wasn't that good but i LOVED it. itr wasn't open header nasty loud it was open header deep muscle car loud.
Now that i'm more hardcore i just have a bullet on each header wich sounds even better but it doesn't have a volume switch like before.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RAIDER
Not if the cutout is open. The exhaust seeks the path of least resistance.

Edit: whoops! maybe a little goes through.

Quick Reply: opinions on DUAL cutouts please . . . .