Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gonna be doing a header install here soon.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gonna be doing a header install here soon.

ok well i am about to order the race style Pacesetter armor coated headers and TSP Y pipe and i am wondering since the race style doesnt have a place to plug in the rear O2 sensors and i am gonna be getting her tuned soon after the install, i am wondering if it will be safe to drive to the tuner with the rear O2s out and no O2 simulators. will i be ok? and also did u use the factory bolts or did u get new ones for the header install and header gaskets as well can i reuse the old one i heard they are good gaskets since they are metal.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z28LS1camaroguy
ok well i am about to order the race style Pacesetter armor coated headers and TSP Y pipe and i am wondering since the race style doesnt have a place to plug in the rear O2 sensors and i am gonna be getting her tuned soon after the install, i am wondering if it will be safe to drive to the tuner with the rear O2s out and no O2 simulators. will i be ok? and also did u use the factory bolts or did u get new ones for the header install and header gaskets as well can i reuse the old one i heard they are good gaskets since they are metal.
I'm kind of confused, I know you said rear o2's but it kind of sounds like you are talking about the o2's that go into the headers. So I'll kind of give you a general idea. You MUST have the o2 sensors screwed into the headers or your car will basically not run. Now as far as the ones that screw into the y-pipe, those do nothing but just let you know if your cats are working (which you won't have) so it will set an ses light, however it means nothing, and won't affect performance. Make sure you get some extensions for the front o2 sensors though.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

yeah i know the front O2s are the main ones but i just didnt want my car to run like crap if the rear O2s werent plugged in, thanks for the reply and also did u use the factory bolts and gaskets for your header install and what kind of Y pipe are you running???( intended for 777)
Old 10-28-2005, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, i got stage 8 locking fastners, but if you clean and inspect them, the old bolts can be reused. Buy new gaskets. They are only 16 dollars, and its worth it to do it right once, cause if you have to replace the gaskets, ill will be far worse than having to spend 16 dollars. Trust me on that!
Old 10-28-2005, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

ok well what gaskets did u use??? i want the metal ones i know that but which brand is the best?
Old 10-30-2005, 08:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

yeah i know the front O2s are the main ones but i just didnt want my car to run like crap if the rear O2s werent plugged in, thanks for the reply and also did u use the factory bolts and gaskets for your header install and what kind of Y pipe are you running???( intended for 777)
I used a pair of new stock MLS (multi-layer steel) gaskets from gm. I also re-used the stock bolts.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Stock GM gaskets are the way to go. My buddy just put some Hookers on his car and the headers came with some gaskets plus he also had new stock GM gaskets he bought seperately. Comparing them, GM's are of a much higher quality and multi-layered. As far as bolts go, the stockers haven't backed off yet so no reason to spend more money on them. I think that installing them might be easier with the ARP studs though, just so you can hang them on something when trying to tighten your fasteners. Just my opinion.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

ok well just ordered the Pacesetter Coated Race ready style headers, TSP offroad Y pipe, 24 inch O2 extensions. yesterday got my NGK TR55 spark plugs and will be stopping at the dealership for the MLS GM header gaskets. also have a LS6 oil pump i need to install lying around also lol. and since they are race ready and i have a 98 will i only need the EGR intake plug or is there another block off plate i will need????
Old 10-30-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

who here did the header install themselves?? i know alot of people do and i am gonna be one of them, does anyone have any tips or precausions for the header install. and a plus i heard pacesetters are really easy and good fitting headers, im just worried about the Y pipe and adjusting it to fit just right. oh well i can always run open headers lol
Old 10-30-2005, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

who here did the header install themselves?? i know alot of people do and i am gonna be one of them, does anyone have any tips or precausions for the header install. and a plus i heard pacesetters are really easy and good fitting headers, im just worried about the Y pipe and adjusting it to fit just right. oh well i can always run open headers lol
You'll need to jack the car up high, like 15". Be careful