Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What PAINT can stand the heat?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 02:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question What PAINT can stand the heat? *Updated-LOOK*

I just bought pacesetters, but i didnt pay attention and i orderd the un-coated ones. I dont want to send them back because they will charge me a restocking fee. Anyways, i stripped all the black paint off of them. So now my question is, what or where? can i find paint that can stand the heat on headers? I dont want paint that as soon as i start the car is gonna burn off. Any advise will be great thanks.

Joe L

Last edited by TWISTEDTA; 11-04-2005 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:52 PM
11 Second Club

if your going to paint them again why did you strip the paint off??? the paint on them should have been high heat paint.. coating is not really paint.. its ceramic stuff that holds the heat IN the headers and helps prevent heat soak into everything else.. (at least thats the way i understand it)

the paint that was on them should have been high heat paint... kinda retarded if it wasnt....
Old 11-01-2005, 02:52 PM
11 Second Club

btw you could always find a local shop that does coating.... i know here in utah there are a bunch of shops that will coat them..
Old 11-01-2005, 04:12 PM
Launching!

Im not sure if it was hight temp heat sence i have had headers that were painted like that before in other cars, the paint lasted about 2 min's right before it completely burned off-Then later on the headers started to rust.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats pretty much going to happen to any set of headers that is not coated. i have never found any paint that will actually stand up to the heat.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:14 PM
CBX
TECH Apprentice

Why not send them out to Jet Hot? They will look great, never rust or tarnish, and will keep the engine bay cooler. You don't even have to prep them, you can send them rusted headers and they will come back new. It's a helluva product.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, Jet Hot quoted me about $250 to strip and recoat a set of MAC headers just recently. Their coating is supposed to be good to 1400 degrees or more if I remember right.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:29 PM
CBX
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by John_D.
Yeah, Jet Hot quoted me about $250 to strip and recoat a set of MAC headers just recently. Their coating is supposed to be good to 1400 degrees or more if I remember right.
Plus the finish is great. It looks like powder coating. If I had steel headers, I would definitely go that route.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:48 AM
Launching!

POR-15 might have something
Old 11-02-2005, 08:59 AM
Launching!

Well my buddy is gonna nickle plate them now so im good. I just didnt want rust-I dont really care about heat sence all headers get just as hot anyways. Thanks guys
Old 11-02-2005, 11:22 AM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

As with anything else, the prep work is important. I sandblasted a set of SBC headers down to bare metal, then with rubber gloves on I wiped them down with Acetone to remove any residue or oil from my hands. I then painted them with VHT High Temp paint from a local speed shop (Jeg's also sells it). I used the "Natural Aluminum" color and it lasted for YEARS. Even when I sold the car the headers still looked great.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:52 PM
TECH Veteran

por-15
Old 11-02-2005, 06:08 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

I bought & installed some black painted pacesetters a coupla months ago. Just for S&Gs, I stripped/buffed them totally to bare metal (you would be surprised how many places were rusting when they were painted) and used (SIC) ceramic type "high temp" RED paint from Advance (don't remember the brand). After 4/5K miles, the paint is fairly intact on the flanges, and the collectors. The primaries look exactly like you would expect from superhot metal burning up paint.
Got some great pics of RED headers (pre-install) dangling from a shepards hook plant hanger, though!
Old 11-03-2005, 04:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gwj
I bought & installed some black painted pacesetters a coupla months ago. Just for S&Gs, I stripped/buffed them totally to bare metal (you would be surprised how many places were rusting when they were painted) and used (SIC) ceramic type "high temp" RED paint from Advance (don't remember the brand). After 4/5K miles, the paint is fairly intact on the flanges, and the collectors. The primaries look exactly like you would expect from superhot metal burning up paint.
Got some great pics of RED headers (pre-install) dangling from a shepards hook plant hanger, though!
post them up!
Old 11-03-2005, 04:21 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Alas, I have no way to, and I'm on a dial up to boot.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:05 PM
Launching!

I used an aluminum (with some ceramic?) 1200 degree paint from Autozone (I don't remember the brand) to do my Y-pipe. It's got a year on it and still looks just like it did when it was painted. If the paint actually has aluminum in it, it can diffuse into the surface of the metal at high temperatures and actually improve it's adhesion and rust resistance.

Headers will get significantly hotter than the Y-pipe but this is what I would use.

Steve
Old 11-04-2005, 01:06 AM
On The Tree

Thats surprising that the jet hot coating only lasts to 1400 degrees, which is actually very high but not that much higher than this spray paint i found. I bought some high heat spray paint (I bought silver but there was also blcak and white i think) from home depot that claims up it will last up to 1200 degrees and it only ran me about 5 bucks with tax. i believe it is made by rustoleum so i would think it should hold up to it's claims. it actually looked really good on the pipes and i think it was well worth the money, as long as it holds up for awhile. I already had coated headers so i just painted the pipes from the header back. one can did a whole TSP true duals system, minus the clamps. i didn't paint the the clamps because they already came galvanized, good enough for me. I'll let you guys know how it holds up in the future... haven't had any problems yet!
Old 11-04-2005, 09:14 AM
Launching!

Thumbs up Well it all turned out for the best

Luckily, my buddy Tony is a manager @ some metal plateing company. He came through and nickle plated them for me-I gotta admitt i wasnt expecting to much-I basically just didnt want rust NOT looks...but Oh man.... What a job he did. Awsome, they look like glass. I dont even want to install them LOL! They look so good, they would look good hung on wall haha Yea, ill be installing them today after work

Anyways, check them out.

Old 11-04-2005, 09:39 AM
TECH Resident

Just put a couple of good coats of Krylon Bar-B-Q grille black on them and you'll be fine.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:33 PM
Launching!

well wont need that no more man

Quick Reply: What PAINT can stand the heat?