Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4" mufflex type exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4" mufflex type exhaust

I have the y-pipe done. 3" with no cats, all mandrel bends. Flowmaster 3"-4" y-pipe. Right now I just have a 5" body/4" in/out bullet clamped to the y-pipe. It is unfuckingbearable inside the car. My girlfriend said that she basically will not ride in the car until I do something about it , maybe thats not a bad thing...... Anyways, I bought the PHR relocation so I can take it over the axle this weekend or next week. 2 things I need. 1.What size radius do I need for the 180 going over the axle? I think 4", but maybe it needs to be more. 2. Who the hell sells 4" mandrel bends? I cant find them anywhere. I would like to order today, so maybe I can have by the weekend.

Brandon
Old 11-02-2005, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Also, does anyone know here I can get a 4" in/ dual 3.5" or 3" out tip? Cant find that anywhere either.

Brandon
Old 11-02-2005, 09:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Use the flowmaster merge backwards. The exhaust you are working on is the exact and I mean the exact same exhaust I was getting ready to build.

Basicly a 4" version of the Loudmouth.

I was gonna use the same Flowmaster merge used for the y pipe to split it back out to dual 3' tailpipes in the back.

This system should not give up anything to true duals. The merge collector in the y pipe looks like it would have killer scavenging. Then instead of dual 3" after the merge you would have single 4". I WILL build it, just a matter of when.

The only thing I had contemplated changing was the I pipe to 3.5" so I could use a Borla 3.5" in/out XR-1 instead of the bullet.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Also, Summit sells 4" mandrel bends.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Just a thought, but couldn't you go to a Truck parts store (Freightliner,Kenworth) and get some 4" flexpipe? A stainless 36" piece is $45.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

Borla sells a 4" in/out XR-1. I thought about using the merge again at the rear, but thats just more damn stuff to buy and more weight. I ended up getting all the bends I needed in Ft. Worth, had to setup a wholesale account for my parents shop, no biggy. Went with a mondo freaking 4"-5" single tip, not sure how it will look, but I am going to run it for a while.

Brandon

Originally Posted by Full-Force
Use the flowmaster merge backwards. The exhaust you are working on is the exact and I mean the exact same exhaust I was getting ready to build.

Basicly a 4" version of the Loudmouth.

I was gonna use the same Flowmaster merge used for the y pipe to split it back out to dual 3' tailpipes in the back.

This system should not give up anything to true duals. The merge collector in the y pipe looks like it would have killer scavenging. Then instead of dual 3" after the merge you would have single 4". I WILL build it, just a matter of when.

The only thing I had contemplated changing was the I pipe to 3.5" so I could use a Borla 3.5" in/out XR-1 instead of the bullet.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

I gotta see some pictures man.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:32 PM
TECH Junkie

The problem with the Borla 4" in/out is that its 6" around. Thats just too damn big to put in the I pipe. Now if you are gonna put a muffler at the rear thats another story.

I have always thought that a 4" version of the Loudmouth wold be the killer setup. Should flow toe to toe with duals and x pipe if using a good y merge like the flowmaster. Good thing is its still a factory style exhaust and out the back.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Veteran

A single 4" should flow as much as dual 3", maybe a little better. Post some pics when you get it done.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:24 PM
TECH Regular

Why don't you do something like this? 4" Mufflex system with 4" in/out Magnaflow. Sounds sick
Attached Thumbnails 4" mufflex type exhaust-dsc00149.jpg   4" mufflex type exhaust-dsc00148.jpg  
Old 11-05-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Well thats precisely why they dont sell. Most including myself dont want a single tailpipe.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:38 PM
TECH Regular

Well everybody has their own opinions. I like the tucked away look myself
Old 11-05-2005, 07:34 PM
TECH Junkie

How about looking at your setup and let me know if there is room to use a merge and split it off coming out of the muffler into 2 pipes with 1 of the pipes curving back around and going back to the passenger side so it could 1 tip on each side. I like the muffler you got but wouldnt mind splitting it off.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah there is room but it would be pretty tight. I think you could probably do it though.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:48 AM
dug
Banned

Magnaflow sells a muffler with single 4" in and dual 3" out. If there is room you could make it like their catback and have a pipe loop around to the passenger side.

I am sick of the single out look on mine. I am gonna do the borlamouth. I already bought a used loudmouth.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dug
Magnaflow sells a muffler with single 4" in and dual 3" out. If there is room you could make it like their catback and have a pipe loop around to the passenger side.

I am sick of the single out look on mine. I am gonna do the borlamouth. I already bought a used loudmouth.
That sounds good. I really like the idea of a Borlamouth. If I did a homemade Borlamouth I would use 3.5" pipe. Borla has a 3.5 in/out XR-1 that retains the 5" overall body size.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99'Formula
Well everybody has their own opinions. I like the tucked away look myself

AGREED! If that whole thing was 304 stainless, it would be the best looking system IMO.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Mufflex sells a kit with dual outlets.. Not many people seem to have it though. I think they are 3" outlets but I'm not positive
Old 11-08-2005, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've thought about doing something like these that you guys are talking about. Just to compare prices I pieced an entire system together by going through different part sources and the cost of all of it installed with a 4" single in and dual 3" outlet muffler (using the same spintech on the mufflex system...which is about the same price as a nice borla 4" xr1 in the oval style case) was about $100 less installed (depends on your installer) than the full mufflex system out of the box.

A single outlet system would be cheaper, less bends, cheaper muffler, etc.

I've been kicking around the idea of having the dual 3" in/4" out flowmaster merge pipe into 4" pipe, then either a bullet or borla xr1 I mentioned above with a 3.5" electric cutout behind that reduced down to 3" and leave the rest of the system out the back the way it is.
Open the cutout and it sounds badass, close it and have the hooker catback (or whatever) with a slight muffle to it from the I-pipe muffler. I like this way because I don't always want my car loud (highway cruising, etc.), plus it's cheaper than doing a full setup, but flows like crazy without having to go over the axle, etc. Downside is a little more weight, but my car's a streeter not a strip only...otherwise I'd just stop at the axle with a turndown.
I'll probably be doing this in a couple months and I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Quick Reply: 4" mufflex type exhaust