Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What exhaust with Spohn TA

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What exhaust with Spohn TA

I currently have H/C w/hooker headers and Loudmouth....I love it but I was wondering what would be the best for max performance. I have the Spohn torque arm that mounts to the subframe. I was wondering if there was any true dual system that will work, or any other exhaust that you guys would recommend.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-22-2006, 12:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the TSP Duals dont work with it

You could most likely have a custom setup made. As for Y pipe setups get whatever and a cutout.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

ttt for me....
Old 01-25-2006, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A good Y-pipe and a cutout is about it unless you can have someone make you a custom x.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mike#9
I currently have H/C w/hooker headers and Loudmouth....I love it but I was wondering what would be the best for max performance. I have the Spohn torque arm that mounts to the subframe. I was wondering if there was any true dual system that will work, or any other exhaust that you guys would recommend.

Thanks in advance
The setup you have is probably not bad. A swap over to some different headers might pick you up a few ponies, but then again it may not.

The LM flows pretty good so really isn't a restriction.

A set of 2.5" duals has the ability to flow better, but with ~340rwhp your Y pipe is probably flowing well enough. I would be surpised if you picked any more than 8-10rwhp by going duals. However you never know, but you could also loose a few HP if you negatively affect the exhaust pressure wave.

If you plan on more mods then a custom dual setup may help, or maybe upping the Y and catback to 3.5" tubing. However for the price of a new setup I would probably spend the money on other mods.

Check the sticky out - Mod Guide, post 13 onwards. It explains all about making a zero loss exhaust system.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have spohn tq arm 405 with qtp's headers,mufflex ory and borla catback.It all fits
Old 01-26-2006, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
The setup you have is probably not bad. A swap over to some different headers might pick you up a few ponies, but then again it may not.

The LM flows pretty good so really isn't a restriction.

A set of 2.5" duals has the ability to flow better, but with ~340rwhp your Y pipe is probably flowing well enough. I would be surpised if you picked any more than 8-10rwhp by going duals. However you never know, but you could also loose a few HP if you negatively affect the exhaust pressure wave.

If you plan on more mods then a custom dual setup may help, or maybe upping the Y and catback to 3.5" tubing. However for the price of a new setup I would probably spend the money on other mods.

Check the sticky out - Mod Guide, post 13 onwards. It explains all about making a zero loss exhaust system.

Sorry about my old sig....I have around 440-450 rwhp. That 340 was just headers untuned about 3 years ago.

I wanted to get a set of duals but I really don't think that anything will fit.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mike#9
Sorry about my old sig....I have around 440-450 rwhp. That 340 was just headers untuned about 3 years ago.

I wanted to get a set of duals but I really don't think that anything will fit.
Yeah there are, you just need them custom fabbed. Which torque arm do you have? As Spohn make one for LT's.

I saw a pic a while back where someone had the X fitted over the bulge of the T/A, It looked like a tight fit but it did work, then all you need to do is run the pipes out the back or dump them.

Another alternative would be to have a custom H pipe setup, it will make similar numbers to an X and sound a little different.

Your 3" Y/catback setup will be costing you a few hp due to the restricted flow rate at that level of bhp. However how much you are loosing is difficult to tell, it may be anywhere from 5-25rwhp there's not really anyway of telling without trying different setups to see what you get.

A 2.5" dual setup is fine for no restrictions on a 500bhp motor. A 3.5 Y is probably not too far behind and a 4" is very good but clearance is a pain. 3" duals can also be more difficult to route and will see best gains with 550bhp+ engines and beyond.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Yeah there are, you just need them custom fabbed. Which torque arm do you have? As Spohn make one for LT's.

I saw a pic a while back where someone had the X fitted over the bulge of the T/A, It looked like a tight fit but it did work, then all you need to do is run the pipes out the back or dump them.

Another alternative would be to have a custom H pipe setup, it will make similar numbers to an X and sound a little different.

Your 3" Y/catback setup will be costing you a few hp due to the restricted flow rate at that level of bhp. However how much you are loosing is difficult to tell, it may be anywhere from 5-25rwhp there's not really anyway of telling without trying different setups to see what you get.

A 2.5" dual setup is fine for no restrictions on a 500bhp motor. A 3.5 Y is probably not too far behind and a 4" is very good but clearance is a pain. 3" duals can also be more difficult to route and will see best gains with 550bhp+ engines and beyond.
I have the Tunnel mounted TA....kinda is in the way of everything!!!

It is a nice piece though!!
Old 05-11-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

This is what I ended up with. A 3" Y-pipe to a flowmaster merge. Then out of that with some 4" pipe and a 4" bullet muffler turned down before the axle. I love it and it sounds like i have duals on the car. It is so deep sounding from the rear now.

Old 05-31-2006, 12:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats just like my setup, but instead of the turndown I have a 3.5" electric cutout, then a dynomax super turbo out back to quiet it down when I'm not racing. Makes the car much more enjoyable to be able to control the volume on the highway
Old 01-12-2007, 12:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were can I get cheap 4inch piping? I want to do the same setup