Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

de-screend maf

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default de-screend maf

hey guys is it true that a de-sceened maf could casue detonation, becasue it casues the engine to run kinda lean in the lower rpms. I read that somewhere on here and i started thinking how my car has some detonation down low. Then i remember looking at a dyno of my car and seeing the a/f ratio up around 15 or 16 around 1.5 k rpm or so. SO i was just wondering if that was true.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

im in the middle of an issue just like that now with my car and i will report once i do some more testing to find out whether its bad or not
Old 02-01-2006, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rgaynor85
im in the middle of an issue just like that now with my car and i will report once i do some more testing to find out whether its bad or not
well i know for a fact that my a/f ratio was way high at low rpms the tunner guy told me that was fine that cars ussually ran lean at iddle. Not to worry cause as soon as u started driving and the rpms went up the car would richen up. OF curse this was a 4 banger place and he probably failed to realise that i cruise around all day at 1.5-1.7 k rpms.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

come on no body?? ttt
Old 02-02-2006, 11:06 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on how lean the tune was to begin with. If it was already at 13:1 with a lot of timing then its possible, if it is still on the stock tune then its unlikely.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hellbents10
Depends on how lean the tune was to begin with. If it was already at 13:1 with a lot of timing then its possible, if it is still on the stock tune then its unlikely.
well an a/f ratio of 15 or higher will caude detonation regardless of how much timing u got unless iam taking away an insane amount of timing.
The thing is that the car was running pretty lean in the lower rpms, i was just wondering if that could be caused by the lack of a screen on the maf.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:07 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Removing the screen does not have any good or bad effects on the car. Your issues are elsewhere.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been said more times than I can count to leave the MAF alone.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 4thGenCamaro
Removing the screen does not have any good or bad effects on the car. Your issues are elsewhere.
I removed my sreen for a dry shot and have had no bad affects
Old 02-02-2006, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree to leave it alone. It is good to over 500hp in stock form, so why mess with it and possibly cause problems.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:30 PM
10 Second Club

the comb is there to protect the fragile wires of the MAF, ive heard of when some people remove it it makes their cars run rich which = slower

if you are going to do anything to your MAF have it deleted in a tune
Old 02-02-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

I bought my car used. I had the intake off the other day. I noticed there was no screen anywhere from the lid to the throttle body. I assume the previous owner of my car descreened it? I'm not a fan of messing with the maf, so is there any way i can get a new screen or will i need a whole new maf? I'm having a detonation problem at low RPMs also.

James
Old 02-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gun5l1ng3r
I agree to leave it alone. It is good to over 500hp in stock form, so why mess with it and possibly cause problems.
THOU SHALNTITH TOUCH THY SCREEN! The screen is not there only for protection, but it smooths out the airflow to the sensor for a more acurate reading.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is de-screened w/o issues. I read quite a bit before I de-screeden it. The screen is intended to help air flow in cases where the air is bending around at sharp angles before it gets to the MAF. In the Camaro/Firebird LS1 the flow is a pretty straight shot from the air box. On one of the Z06 Vettes, GM eliminated the screen from the factory. The caveat is that some cars experience surge at low RPM's after the screen is removed.

Did I or do you "need" to remove the screen? I doubt it.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:44 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

leave it alone if you do anything to it!
Old 02-03-2006, 03:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Really? Seeing as how your car runs solely off your MAF at WOT above 4k and descreening it doens't have any effect?

Fact is your MAF was calibrated by GM to measure airflow past it through a known set of circumstances. Just changing your airflow characteristics (lid, exhaust, tb, etc) can cause the MAF calibration to skew. If you're gonna go through the effort of descreening it, just remove it all together is my opinion. It would take tuning to make your car run accurately in either case, just a bit more to do it without a maf.

Some cars don't get too far from optimal to see negative effects, some cars can jump to like 15:1 afr at certain airflow reading. Its like rolling dice. IMO opinion I wouldn't do it unless I had tuning software to make sure everything was fine.

Generally speaking, dicking with the MAF will lean your car out somewhat. If your car is one that ran 11.5:1 afr from the factory, you might see performance gain. If you ran 12.5 from the factory, you might see a lot of detonation.

Originally Posted by 4thGenCamaro
Old 02-03-2006, 10:29 AM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by Jimmard
I bought my car used. I had the intake off the other day. I noticed there was no screen anywhere from the lid to the throttle body. I assume the previous owner of my car descreened it? I'm not a fan of messing with the maf, so is there any way i can get a new screen or will i need a whole new maf? I'm having a detonation problem at low RPMs also.

James
Your detonation problem is NOT because you removed the screen!
Old 02-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by Bombguy99z28
Really? Seeing as how your car runs solely off your MAF at WOT above 4k and descreening it doens't have any effect?

Fact is your MAF was calibrated by GM to measure airflow past it through a known set of circumstances. Just changing your airflow characteristics (lid, exhaust, tb, etc) can cause the MAF calibration to skew. If you're gonna go through the effort of descreening it, just remove it all together is my opinion. It would take tuning to make your car run accurately in either case, just a bit more to do it without a maf.

Some cars don't get too far from optimal to see negative effects, some cars can jump to like 15:1 afr at certain airflow reading. Its like rolling dice. IMO opinion I wouldn't do it unless I had tuning software to make sure everything was fine.

Generally speaking, dicking with the MAF will lean your car out somewhat. If your car is one that ran 11.5:1 afr from the factory, you might see performance gain. If you ran 12.5 from the factory, you might see a lot of detonation.
Everyone I know and all the cars that have come and gone out of our shop that did not have scrrens never had a problem. The issues with these peoples cars is elsewhere. Removing it does not do any harm to the car!