Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker VS. Pacesetter Headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 08:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hooker VS. Pacesetter Headers

Well guys I just cant figure this one out on my own , Ive read the sticky and it dosent really say anything negative on either one. Theres a huge price difference between them why is that? I know there both ceramic coated to. Is there any where were i can find a dyno sheet on different headers on the same car? Id like to no HP wise is it like a 5,10, or 15 HP difference on em cuz for 5 HP Id like to save 300 dollers. Thanks in avance.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:16 PM
Teching In

I can offer a little insight, not much. My friend with an 02 Z28 has the Hookers. They are a quality piece. Look good, sound good, perform well. Another friend with a 95 Z28 has the pace setters. I have not seen them in person, but he speaks VERY highly about them. Both are coated, so I guess the gains of one over the other are probably minimal. Its like which one would you get, GMMG or Magnaflow. One is $700, one is $400. My theory is that you should buy what you think is best.

On the one hand, if you opt for the best parts, gain the extra 5-10 or so HP per mod or whatever it nets, you have a total more HP with less mods.

BUT

If you buy the parts that are alot cheaper, like the magnaflow and pacesetters, you have more money after the fact to buy ANOTHER mod, so you will have more mods, and maybe more HP (depending on mods) Like with the money you save on the Magnaflow and Pacesetters, you could buy cams or some suspension stuff, or gears.

I would say hop on LS1 Sounds and listen, and try and find people in the local forums to talk to IN PERSON so you can see and hear the end product.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The hookers are quite a bit more, and from what others have said don't fit as well as the pacesetters. There is a thread down below where someone posted that has installed both. He said the pacesetters have a thicker flange and install easier. There won't be a hp difference between the two, so don't let that be the deciding factor. I don't think you can compare these two the same as you can magnaflow vs. gmmg. The mufflers hp gain is similar so you just decide how much $$ you want to fork out for sound. The hp gains and sound between the hooker and pacesetter are the same, so you just have to decide which is the better made header for the $$, and I believe that would have to go to the pacesetters. Not that the hookers are a bad header though. You just get less for your money with them.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Hookers are a very nice header and the install was a breeze. The flanges are thick and the coating still looks good after 3 years.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Benjamin Russick
The Hookers are a very nice header and the install was a breeze. The flanges are thick and the coating still looks good after 3 years.

Isn't the Hookers flange 5/16" vs. 3/8" for the pacesetters?
Old 02-06-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

correct

the Hooker has a thinner flange

I think I should point out that the Quick Trip line of the Pacesetter headers are not like their other lines. These are very nice pieces.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:11 PM
Teching In

I jsut read on TSP they use the pacesetters on their 10 second heads cam FireHawk. Good enough for me, I will save the $300 for a true dual setup.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:18 PM
12 Second Club

Wow i didnt know that the flanges were different, thanks alot guys! How bout ground clearance with these headers is there any differance there my car is at the stock hight right now but i wanna lower it an inch in the future.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Fron what I've read the Pacesetters tuck up nicely and would work well on a lowered car. I haven't heard about the hookers though. I chose pacesetter but haven't installed them yet. The reason I chose them was from reading this site and basically there is no reason not to go with them.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

i ran the hookers. fit was good. performed well, i dont have any dyno numbers but the sotp feel was there..loud as hell with loudmouth. the pacesetters are really good headers from what ive read. tsp also claims that it puts down same numbers as other headers out there.. so to me it probably puts down the same hp as kooks or qtp.. the only thing i hear sucks bout pacesetters is their y pipe.. but tsp has their own that will work with it and supposed to be better. but overall, you cant go wrong with either.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:46 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

I have the ceramic coated Flowtech headers on sale through the end of the month for $340.00. They fit much better than Pacesetter headers that we have installed, and Flowtech and Hooker are both owned by Holley Performance. The Flowtechs are pretty much a copy of the Hooker headers, and I consider them to be the best low buck header on the market for our cars. Bob
Old 02-07-2006, 05:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

What about for LT1?
Old 02-07-2006, 06:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

We just put my buddy's motor in his car last night and it has Hooker LT's on it and I don't see it being able to be lower much at all. Maybe an inch but I don't think 2". I am going to be installing a set of Pacesetter LT's this week, so I'll let you all know how the install goes.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:25 AM
TECH Addict

Anything but SLP's, or Flowtechs with their weenie flanges.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Crackerballer
I jsut read on TSP they use the pacesetters on their 10 second heads cam FireHawk. Good enough for me, I will save the $300 for a true dual setup.
There's also a blown 346 CI SS in GMHTP that ran Pacesetters and was pushing about mid 800s to the wheels. 1 5/8" headers thru a 3" true dual system with X pipe and Magnaflow bullets. Not too shabby...
Old 02-07-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ling_650vette
There's also a blown 346 CI SS in GMHTP that ran Pacesetters and was pushing about mid 800s to the wheels. 1 5/8" headers thru a 3" true dual system with X pipe and Magnaflow bullets. Not too shabby...
Were they shorty headers? I didn't know they made 1 5/8 longtubes for the LS1.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
I have the ceramic coated Flowtech headers on sale through the end of the month for $340.00. They fit much better than Pacesetter headers that we have installed, and Flowtech and Hooker are both owned by Holley Performance. The Flowtechs are pretty much a copy of the Hooker headers, and I consider them to be the best low buck header on the market for our cars. Bob
The early or later style Pacesetters? Because there shouldn't be any fitment problems with any recent header from Pacesetter.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

We've installed both pacesetter and hooker headers on a couple cars. The pacesetters slide in very easy but the Hookers have been a pretty big pain to install.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, I didn't really expect pacesetter brand to be a very high quality product. Starting to change my mind. Sounds like alot of satisfied customers out there. Would love to see some before / after dyno numbers for the pacesetter LT's.

Usually its true you get what you pay for, but sometimes all you get is a lighter wallet
Old 02-07-2006, 03:50 PM
9 Second Club

I've had the pacesetters for over a year now. They fit great, look great and my car is lowered 3 inches and I have no clearance issues, with the headers anyways.

Quick Reply: Hooker VS. Pacesetter Headers