Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

March pulley problem! help

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default March pulley problem! help

i just bought a set of the power and amp underdrive pulley kit for my 99 trans am. first neither the alternator or crank pulley would go in so the shop had to sand it down just a bit to get them on. It was still pretty damn tight after this. then, it sticks out just a bit more than the original crank pulley so the belt came off the first try around. we tried tightening it more and its holding the belt on right now but it looks like the tensioner is going ot loose the belt again. anyone have this trouble or any help???

thanks
Old 02-07-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

I had/still have nothing but problems with my March pulley as well. My question is did you purchase a shorter belt? If I read your post right, it seems like the belt is too loose. The stock tensioner can only take up so much slack. I think the main drive belt you need to get is 37.5" if I remember correctly.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's more than likely not seated all the way. Did you try to put the pulley on while the engine was still warm? We had to wait until the engine cooled which allowed the crank snout to shrink so to speak in order to get it on.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:38 PM
wrencher

Mine was tight as well, used a hone & opened it up some. Still tight but better.
Used the recommended belts= no problems been on for almost 2 years.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

yeah i have the right belts on and the car was pretty cold. gonna try again but damn that fu**er is tight. didnt want to brake the crank bolt or anything. it seems like its on pretty good but its just too far out on the tensioner, other than that it is seated pretty good on the rest of the pulleys. does anyone notice there car running hotter? it also underdrives the water pump right?
thanks again,
sandro
Old 02-08-2006, 02:02 PM
Teching In

There were a few runs of March LS1 crank pulleys that were not made to the right tolerances they were very tight and most of them had to be recalled from the dealers to perform an additional finish hone because they were way to small. They are supposed to be snug but not as snug as they were being made , I'm surprised that you havent broken the threads on the end of the crank upon installation. I would contact the manufacturer and see if they can issue a call tag to pick it up fix the part and ups it back to you. Since it is there fault.

Also are you running a double roller timing chain? The balancer snout needs to be slightly trimmed to make it shorter to compensate for the thicker sprocket. If you are running a double roller t.chain though you said nothing about it I thought I would ask.

But more than likely the pulley.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SMSFRC99
They are supposed to be snug but not as snug as they were being made , I'm surprised that you havent broken the threads on the end of the crank upon installation.
To late for me. I'm already out $300 in tools trying to fix it, and I discovered today my crankshaft might be ruined.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran this pulley and that SOB was tight going on. I heated it in a toaster oven on 500* for 15 mins to get it to go on the crank....wasn't too bad after that. Fit great as far as belts go. I am gonna go with it again when I install the cam in this car.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

oh, thats fuc..ng great. i do have a double roller timing chain and i was wondering why the damn belt looks like its gonna come off of the tensioner. sh**. and i do believe it is a problem with the crank dampener because that fuc*er was way tooo tight to put on. trying to fit an elephant through a cheerio. well i ended up sanding it down inside a bit and i guess i have to cut the crank?? or do i just have to grind down the end of the snout on the crank dampener? thanks again and anymore infor is appreciated. i just wish i knew this crap first hand.