Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help, Need Advice on True Duals!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 06:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help, Need Advice on True Duals!

-X-pipe
Alright guys, whats the most affordable way to do TD's?
I've noticed Hedman makes what looks like the best fitting for the price X-pipe. The TSP is nice, but expensive.
-Is there a major difference between 2.5" and 3" pipe? The 2.5" would save me some clearance, so just wondering. I plan on doing an Eibach pro-kit in the future.
-Cats
I need to have Cats fabricated into an X-pipe, which ones should I go with??? ...and do they need to be OBDII compliant for smog??? I just want to be able to pass smog and hopefully get off the hook for that fact alone.

-Will the Cats take away the smell of fuems that everyone seems to complain about? ....will the Cats make it a lot more quiet than say, a Catback?
Cuz if the Cats on the X-pipe are going to make it quiet, I may as well just go catback, cuz I want LOUD!
Thanks so much guys!
Old 02-20-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Veteran

The Hedman X-pipe is as nice as any others I've seen, including the Dr. Gas X-pipe I had. I used the Hedman X on my '02 Z. As far as size, 2.5" pipe will be fine, especially since you plan on lowering the car. The cats will get rid of some of the smell, but if you dump the exhaust before the axle, you'll get fumes no matter what. They should make it a little quieter too. I had 3" TDs with 1-chamber Flows dumped and no cats..it was definately loud.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:39 AM
TECH Resident

TSP expensive? Wow...
Old 02-21-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

consider something: you can get a fitted X-pipe for a '99+ Mustang w/lLT's for around $120 shipped. Weld some $35 per muffler bullets on it and dump it at the axle, you now have a dual exhaust that is exactly what we get for around $200. Yes, $400+ is expensive. Gotta love the LS1 tax.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by magius231
consider something: you can get a fitted X-pipe for a '99+ Mustang w/lLT's for around $120 shipped. Weld some $35 per muffler bullets on it and dump it at the axle, you now have a dual exhaust that is exactly what we get for around $200. Yes, $400+ is expensive. Gotta love the LS1 tax.
An X pipe for basically a Fox body is nothing but 4 45* bends with an X in the middle - and some mufflers welded to that. Nothing is in the way, like frame rails, torque arms, fuel lines, etc. - since the car was designed for duals to begin with - and they've been around for almost 30 years. Not much to it - you're right.

However - duals for F-bodies - either by TSP or anyone else - required some extensive design time, since these cars barely take a Y-pipe, much less duals - without some serious work. That's why 9 out of 10 muffler shops will tell you up front it's 'impossible'. It's not apples to apples - and the 'tax' isn't that bad. Compared to say, a Borla Catback price.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Launching!

Yea, you guys wouldnt believe the exhaust shops I've tried to get service from out here. I'm stationed in WA state, Whidbey Island......its in the middle of no where pretty much. Some of the things that shops have said to me is just rediculous, like "you cant even change out the stock muffler, you dont have enough ground clearance, these cars were designed so you cant modify the exhaust. Trust me, I've been doing this since you were born, you cant put headers on these cars. No one makes headers for these cars and its illegal!" ........and on...and on. I was laughing at that guy, I just walked away.
Well, this whole exhaust setup is giving me plenty of headaches, I may just have to stick to my orginal plan. TSP Rumbler catback with a 1 chamber Flowmaster in the I pipe, or Powerstick. .....damn I want duals, but its a pain finding the right place to do it.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Veteran

I know how you feel. When I got my '98 T/A back in '98, I had a couple of 2-chamber Flowmasters sitting around, so I took them to a shop to see about getting duals put on. They looked at me like I was crazy and said there wouldn't be any ground clearance. Well, I didn't know any better and just had them delete the muffler and leave the dual tips.
On my '02 Z, after I discovered this site in '03, I found a pic of a setup I liked, printed it off and took it to a shop with me. They'd had guys wanting TDs done, but didn't know exactly how to do it on these cars b/c they hadn't seen it done before. I showed the guy the pics, he told me to pull it up on the rack and proceded to make a pretty decent setup with my X and 1-chamber Flows I had brought. I got a nice $100 deal on the install too
Old 02-22-2006, 05:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

thats what I'm saying, there are lots of exhaust shops that can do it if they know what they are looking at, but most are just scared to try. Damn near every time I hear about someone having a custom exhaust that dumps at the axle made it costs less than $300, and thats custom made for them! Those folks that pay ~$500 normally have it run out the back for that price. I just don't understand the prices from the vendors here
Old 02-22-2006, 05:34 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Trans
Cuz if the Cats on the X-pipe are going to make it quiet, I may as well just go catback, cuz I want LOUD!
I would leave it catted if you have a choice in the matter. It will be a tad louder without them but it will sound like a trainwreck. I have no cat's and no mufflers and you have to yell over it. literally. I can start the car in the garage and walk to the other side of the house outside and put my hand on the brick (outside mind you) and feel it shaking. It is ground crackin' loud. I get more complaints than compliments now. I like it though. that is all that matters right?
Old 02-22-2006, 08:52 AM
TECH Resident

I've seen pics of those $300 jobs...