Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCS Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TCS Questions?

I have a 98 Trans Am with cruise control and TCS. I have 2 cables coming from the firewall going to the black box next to the battery. Then there is another cable coming out of this black box going to the throttle body (I would like to note that there is only 1 cable going to the throttle body). I would like to remove the TCS system, but I still want to keep cruise control. TCS is a pain in the ***, plus I'd like to clean up the engine bay a little if possible. Does anybody know exactly what I have to do to accomplish this. Procedures, part numbers and such would be great.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:50 PM
12 Second Club

I think you're best bet would be to get the part from SLP (I think.....) that reverses the default for the TCS. That way it is always off until you manually switch it on.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't want to go thru the effort of ripping it out (and possibly loosing your cruise control) just get the SLP module that turns the TCS off, until you turn it on.
The module makes the default mode for the TCS off instead of on, easy to do, and no need to rip stuff out
Old 02-20-2006, 08:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are different cables for non-TCS cars, I posted
the P/Ns not that long ago. The cruise cable clips onto
that post on the side of the TB cam and the pedal cable
goes on in the usual manner. I have never seen a writeup,
this is all just gathered from the parts manual CD I have.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

I believe this is the GM part number 12565559 for the throttle cable for cars without TCS. So what your saying, is that I would be able to hook this cable up and still have cruise control. Would I need a new cam on the throttle body to accomidate for the cruise control cable.
As far as the SLP piece goes, I don't think I want to go that route. I would like to eliminate all of the TCS hardware from the car if possible.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Junkie

bringing this back. jimmyblue, do u know the part number for the cruise control cable for non TCS cars? im assuming its shorter since it doesn't have to go to the TCS box. the other thing you would need to do is remove the timing retard from the computer for when TCS is activated.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:03 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phoenix 5.7
bringing this back. jimmyblue, do u know the part number for the cruise control cable for non TCS cars? im assuming its shorter since it doesn't have to go to the TCS box. the other thing you would need to do is remove the timing retard from the computer for when TCS is activated.
There would be alot more involved in removing the TCS and keeping cruise control. The non-TCS cars have a "black box" located behind the driverside fog light, and a long *** cable that runs under the ABS box, then up around the back of the manifold, then to the TB. The cruise control system is not related to the throttle pedal/cable at all.

I posted this in a thread a while back....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....7&postcount=17