Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raspy Sound?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 12:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Raspy Sound?

Does that raspy sound I hear from a couple of cars with a cat-back system come from the stock manifolds and Y pipe or from headers and high flow cats? That little crackel at the end of it when you get off the gas is kind of anoying to me but if it comes from having headers and a high flow cat then I will just have to get used to it. Your thoughts?
Old 03-09-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You get that from not having any cats. Headers and a off road Y pipe, i.e. catless, equals lots of rasp. Add a SLP Loudmouth and you are in rasp hell.

I have Long tube headers with high flow Random Tech cats in the Y pipe, along with a B&B Triflo exhaust which currently is being bypassed with a open cutout, and I don't have any rasp with the cutout closed, and very little with it open.

Cats are what kills the rasp.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad rasp on an LSX is usually a result of running an unequal length Y-pipe, no cats and a less than sufficient muffler. Worse cas scenario for a full exhaust would be headers, off road Y-pipe and a Loudmouth or similer cat-back.

If you run high flow cats and/or a cat-back that does a good job rasp is not much of a problem. The ultimate in rasp free exhaust is duals.

If you have stock manifolds and cats you won't get too much rasp. I ran the loudmouth on otherwise stock exhaust for a year and a half and liked it. I knew better than to try that with headers so I went with duals when the headers went on an couldn't be happier. Well, I suppose I could be...I need to swap my bullets for some sweet thunders.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:58 AM
12 Second Club

So then, since I have Kooks LT's and Catted Kooks Y Pipe and then I buy a Corsa or a Magnaflow or even the smokin deal that Stainless Works is offering on their Turbo Exhaust system I will NOT get the rasp? (or very little) Is that what your saying? Thanks for the help!!
Old 03-10-2006, 07:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ss4chad
So then, since I have Kooks LT's and Catted Kooks Y Pipe and then I buy a Corsa or a Magnaflow or even the smokin deal that Stainless Works is offering on their Turbo Exhaust system I will NOT get the rasp? (or very little) Is that what your saying? Thanks for the help!!

You are correct. IMO, I find the Corsa to have a "tinny" type of sound. The Magnaflow sounds good. An adjustable Borla can be pretty loud but you will get some rasp if you are not using any plate.

Michael M.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

It should sound awesome.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:14 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks fellers!!!
Old 03-10-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic