Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True duals

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 12:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True duals

I am looking to go to true duals and dump them under the car. I want to know is there anything out there that will not drone bad inside the car and be insanely loud? This will be no cats and a X-pipe set up. I do not mind giving up a little power for the quieter part. I mainly love the look of them.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ok, your quietest least droning muffler to use on the duals is gonna be the spiral flows, check out summit
Old 03-15-2006, 12:53 AM
12 Second Club

I have a 3" dia. flow-pro twister system that are 12" mufflers with the Dr. X pipe dumped at the rear. it sounds really good, tons of compliments. U can hear the cam, sounds like an old school hot rod. But if ur looking for quiet, hmm well these spiral flows well they may be quieter then some but imo are not that quiet. i do actually think im going deff from this system. i set off car alarms unintentionally and u can hear me at least a block away.I scare people.

Last edited by red_pacu1; 03-17-2006 at 02:45 AM.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

23" Flo-Pro twisters...
Old 03-15-2006, 02:03 AM
TECH Resident

Im running 3 in w/x pipe. 4x9x14 magnaflow straight through mufflers dumped just behind the axels. I love them. Sounds great, pretty loud at idle. It sounds like an old muscle car. Most people look around trying to figure out whats making the noise lol. VERY loud when Im on the gas. People can hear me about 3/4 miles away no joke. I will try to get a clip of them on ls1sounds. Just go to an exhaust shop and have them custom make one for you.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:16 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have twisters on my duals and they are really quiet.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:23 AM
On The Tree

I have a 2.5" system with a flowtech x pipe from summit ($30) that sits right around the tunnel brace area. I have flowmaster 40-series 2 chambers and it exits directly beneath the rear axle. The piping is not turned down, just cut off under the axle still facing straight out the back. It really emphasizes the cam, and it sounds like a big block chevelle coming down the road. There is a little bit of drone in the cab, but nothing annoying. Hope this helps.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem with "quiet" dumped duals on an fbody is that there's not much room under there for a very sizeable muffler. The small mufflers that most of us run with our duals (including those mentioned above) are not going to be quiet. Of course "quiet" is subjective, so it's hard to define without hearing it in person. If you run the duals out the back, you have more room for a bigger muffler that can provide more efficient noise reduction. Out of the dual setups I've heard in person, the borla xr-1's are the quietest. Again, depends on your def. of quiet. My 1 chamber flowmasters are loud as f*ck, so don't get those if ya don't like the noise !!
Old 03-15-2006, 12:42 PM
Teching In

Thanks everybody for the input. It seems that it is a toss up between the
XR-1's, and the Spiral flow.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:23 PM
TECH Junkie

just an opnion here but if you are planning on clogging up your td setup because of noise concerns wouldent it make more sence then to just use a normal exaust setup with a more agressive muffler out back?

i just figure by the time you quiet it down its probally gonna flow less than lets say a loudmouth system or something that dumps out the back of the car on a single 3 inch pipe
Old 03-20-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

honestly, the best two things you can do to quiet down your duals:

1. run them out the back. Under the axle isn't that hard and wll help a lot
2. weld cats in it. 2 high flow cats won't be a restriction (you MAY lose 1-2hp) and will quiet it down significantly.

damn near every other production V8 that lives in a performance vehicle has true duals attached to it (Vette, GTO, Mustang, etc). There must be a reason you don't see vette or stang owners replacing their exhausts with Y-pipe single exhaust systems, and there are some really hardcore Mustang racers out there that know their ****.