Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cant get my mac mids installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default cant get my mac mids installed

in the installation guide it says the drivers side should go in place without problems, but it definetly wont, and the passengers side wont either. to get them past the steering column i have to put them in at an angle, and at that angle i cannot re correct the position of the headers because the 4-1 piece seem too big. from the installation guide it looks like i should drop them in from the top side, ive tried both from the top and from the bottom and neither will give me an leeway.

id really appreciate any tips you guys have, also i bent a spark plug on the drivers side. what size sockett do i use to get the plug out.

thanks
Old 03-15-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't know for sure about the mid's but my LT's had to turned so the flange that bolts to the heads was vertical and then twisted once up in the car. The socket for the plugs is 5/8.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've installed/uninstalled macs twice. Here's what you need to do:

Driver's side:
Remove coilpacks, sparkplugs and steering linkage. You should be able to slide the header in from the top without any problems.

Passenger side:
Remove coilpacks, sparkplugs. There's an aluminum casting tab that sticks out about 3/4" from the side of the block. You'll see it.......you need to cut that off with a dremel, sawzall...I've even done it with a hacksaw. Once that tab is off, the header will slide in like butter from the bottom. Feel free to pm me if you need more help. Good luck, have fun, and don't get frustrated!!
Old 03-15-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

hey thanks. what about the gas line on the drivers side, i still cant get teh drivers side header down in there completely, it gets hung up on the valve cover and blocked by the gas line

how do i remove the steering linkage, i didnt notice any bolts down in there
Old 03-15-2006, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have trouble removing the steering linkage too
Old 03-15-2006, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gun5l1ng3r
I also have trouble removing the steering linkage too
Take the 2 bolts out .Use a hammer and a screw driver hit the top part of the linkage toward the fire wall.Then pop the bottom off of the rack.Then tap it foward to remove the top.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

ok i got the drivers side on, i used a hammer to get the header past the steering linkage.

on the passengers side how the hell do i get it in there. theres no way i can fit my hacksaw in there to get the big cube coming off of the block, and i cant dent the firewall or cross member to fit it in
Old 03-15-2006, 07:14 PM
10 Second Club

I installed my MAC's from the top every time without a problem. I did remove the plugs, EGR and coil packs to help. But I didn't have to remove the steering linkage.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
ok i got the drivers side on, i used a hammer to get the header past the steering linkage.

on the passengers side how the hell do i get it in there. theres no way i can fit my hacksaw in there to get the big cube coming off of the block, and i cant dent the firewall or cross member to fit it in

You gotta get that casting tab off and it will slide right up. I have used a "mini" hacksaw to cut that tab off my buddy's car. It was like $2.50 at walmart. A regular hacksaw won't fit up there, but that little one fits perfect.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:10 PM
12 Second Club

Holy crap, I can't believe you guys are having all of these problems. Mine went on without a lot of trouble. The driver's side went on from the bottom, it slipped right up there and was easy. The passenger side went in from the top. Remove the coil packs(same as the driver's side), pop off the passenger side valve cover and it "should" slide right down into position, it worked for me.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:46 AM
TECH Addict

i got them both on from the top, i had to remove both valve covers, they slipped right in without any problems except a slight rub on the passengers side. very frustrating that i missed step 6 in the directions just because i didnt see any pictures with the valve covers off

oh and i cant get a spark plug out of the head. it was in real tight and wouldnt budge, i put alot of pressure on the turn to loosen it and now i cant get the plug to come out, the plug is just spinning and not coming out. i need to check tomorrow, im dead tired today so im going to bed with 7 new plugs in and the headers bolted up, just need to put on the Y and plug everything back in

Last edited by chrysler kid; 03-16-2006 at 12:54 AM.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
I've installed/uninstalled macs twice. Here's what you need to do:

Driver's side:
Remove coilpacks, sparkplugs and steering linkage. You should be able to slide the header in from the top without any problems.

Passenger side:
Remove coilpacks, sparkplugs. There's an aluminum casting tab that sticks out about 3/4" from the side of the block. You'll see it.......you need to cut that off with a dremel, sawzall...I've even done it with a hacksaw. Once that tab is off, the header will slide in like butter from the bottom. Feel free to pm me if you need more help. Good luck, have fun, and don't get frustrated!!
I did the same but i didn't need to cut the block piece, mine just slid in.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:44 PM
12 Second Club

I dont think its a good idea to be sawing parts of your engine block off. If Mac designed their headers to be installed in the fashion you are describing, then its probably not a very good design. Pony up and get some LT's and install them from the bottom.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1LUNATIC
I dont think its a good idea to be sawing parts of your engine block off. If Mac designed their headers to be installed in the fashion you are describing, then its probably not a very good design. Pony up and get some LT's and install them from the bottom.
Ummm, MACs aren't the only ones that do this, longtubes to as well. A lot of times, the passenger side needs to be jacked up a little. My driver's side slid right it with the valve covers off, but the passenger side, I did run into problems. I just jacked the side up a very little bit and it went in.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:08 PM
10 Second Club

I dont think its a good idea to be sawing parts of your engine block off.

That piece that gets sawed off is nothing more than a casting tab. They have no function other than getting in the way. There's no way you can hurt your motor by removing them.

Pony up and get some LT's and install them from the bottom.
Agreed.....like my lt's a lot better than the ol' macs
Old 03-17-2006, 12:40 AM
Restricted User

the tab on the block was the only thing that gave me any problem with my install(pacesetters)...oh yea and i had to jack the front of the car up like 15 feet in the air cuz i had to install my pass. header almost vertically, i think that header was like 4'ft. tall lol and be patient sometimes it takes some swearing and alot of wiggling to get them up in there in the position they need to be. good luck and wear bulletproof gloves lol cuz u'll prolly get cut in the process