Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taylor Wires?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 04:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Taylor Wires?????

I just recently purchased some Taylor wires. Is this brand any good. There is no heat shield where the wire connects to the plug; like the stock ones. I just installed headers so will the heat cause any damage to the wires. Also, I can't reach the passenger side wires, so I only put the driver side ones on (I dont think this can hurt anything). Just today, my car started to act funny, it didn't feel like it was idleing high enough, and felt sluggish when I stompped it. I know its not the connection, because I unplugged one to see what it felt like with a cylinder down. Could the problem be because I havn't tuned my car yet since I've installed the longtubes. I think I'm just going to put the stock wires back on when the headers cool off. Just wanting some suggestions. Should I take the Taylors back and get MSD's which is what I wanted in the first place, but my mom picked them up.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Regular

The taylors are a good brand, wires are wire my friend. the car probably running funny because you havent tuned it like you said. If you were misfiring your check engine light would come on. Re-use the stock heat shields, they are there for a reason, I'm sure you could run it without them but I wouldnt. you need a swivel and an extention to get those wires, the number #8 cylinder is simpler to do from underneath the car. if your wires snap when the are put on make sure you do ir right the first time, dont half *** it and run with a misfire. good luck let us know what happens
Old 03-16-2006, 05:43 PM
TECH Regular

sorry to be a post *****, but I had to re-use my stock heat shields on my car but they wouldnt fit snugly so I grinded off about a 1/8 of an inch
Old 03-16-2006, 05:52 PM
10 Second Club

Well, I put the stock ones back on, for some reason it seems to run better. I don't know, it could all just be in my head. But, I do think I need a tune, I stood behind my car, and the smoke smelt like gas and gave me a head ache; it's not like black smoke, it's almost a misty grey fog, and then it dissapears.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:09 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah the car is definitley running rich, thats completely normal. When the exhaust gets opened up like that the pcm reads it and adds more fuel. Your air/fuel mix is probably all over the place, just from my y-pipe i was running 11.3-12.6-eewww. One suggestion, definitely get a real tune, they run 200-400 usually dont waste your time with a hand held. try to find someone using efi live or hptuners or ls1 edit. let us know what you dyno if you do a dyno tune
Old 03-16-2006, 06:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had no problems with any of the Taylors I used (thundervolt 50s). No heatshields with headers. Held up great. Broke one trying to get it disconnected...thing was on real tight.

I like them.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by radz
Yeah the car is definitley running rich, thats completely normal. When the exhaust gets opened up like that the pcm reads it and adds more fuel. Your air/fuel mix is probably all over the place, just from my y-pipe i was running 11.3-12.6-eewww. One suggestion, definitely get a real tune, they run 200-400 usually dont waste your time with a hand held. try to find someone using efi live or hptuners or ls1 edit. let us know what you dyno if you do a dyno tune
I contacted a guy in Kentucky this evening that said he could do one next weekend. He said it was going to be anywhere from 100 to 200 dollars at the most, I know this isn't bad for a dyno tune, but how much should one typically run. Also, this guy is reputable, I know a few people that have gone to him for a tune, and they say he does a good job.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm using the Taylor Spiro 8.5 mm.

Heat shields are not required, the Taylors can handle the temp.
(the heat shields won't fit over the plug wire boots;
I've been running with no heat shields for the last 30K miles,
and am having no problems at all).

The Taylor's are as good as the MSD's.

To get to #8 cylnder, put car on ramps, go from underneath, using your right arm, you'll see it's much easier this way.

Did you replace your spark plugs...?

Edit: I meant 8mm, not 8.5

Last edited by joecar; 03-17-2006 at 01:30 AM.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Taylor makes a good set of wires. I'm currently running the Taylor Spiro-Pro 8mm wires, and haven't had any problems with them in 15K miles. I had the MSD 8.5mm wires before, and they were great wires also. Didn't run either of them with heat shields. The only reason that I switched is because one of my MSDs broke, and my local speed shop only had the Taylors in stock.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Taylor Spiro-Pro wires pulled apart when I took them off. I've used MSD since then.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:20 PM
TECH Regular

I ve been running taylors thundervolts for over a 60K miles without boots and haven't had any problem...yet.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

i just bought some yesturday so i hope there alright.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:53 PM
TECH Regular

200 is great for a tune. I paid 400 for mine and I was very satisfied, a hand held just cant do the same as a real tune.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had Taylor Thundervolts on my car. Shortly after the install
one of them came loose on the road, the clip was not tight
enough (until I took the Channel-Loks to it). When we did my
header install one of the ends pulled out, trying to remove the
wire. I'm not too pleased with the quality overall. The MSD
I bought for replacements seen much sturdier.