Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP/KOOKS Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 11:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default QTP/KOOKS Question

Hey guys, I can use a little help. I've already searched the site for a long time and have been through all the exhaust posts. I'm looking at LTs and I've narrowed my choices down to QTP and KOOKS. I know that they are the same and I should get which ever is cheaper, but what I'm concerned with are the catted y-pipes. I really like the merge on the QTP Y and I was wondering if kooks was the same, and if not would there be any noticeable difference in gains/flow? Also, are there any differences between the Y's with clearance? Last question about the Y's. Kooks Y comes with o2 bungs welded in for the rear o2s, so I would just get extensions and reuse the rear o2s right? And does QTPs y have these? Just for the record, I'm going to be ditching the egr/air.

Please help a guy out lol. Should I go QTP LTs & QTP catted y or Kooks LTs & Kooks catted y or QTP LTs with kooks catted y or vise versa Please help Need input

A little more info on my car:

2000 Z28 A4 - SLP LM, Lid, filter, bellows, CAI, STB, UMI sfcs, c/s rotors, ss brake lines.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Kooks will charge extra if you want a merge collector. The QTPs are probably the best deal in Grott style header right now. As for the Y pipe, some have said that they have problems installing the QTP catted Y. However, the problem can be eliminated if you have a custom Y pipe made. It will also be cheaper if you have a custom Y pipe made by a shop.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:52 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the info. I'd rather stay away from getting a custom y. A few of my buddies with LS1s had it done and they ended up getting worse clearance / fitment issues than they would have if they went with the Y for their LTs. So how would QTP LTs w/o emissions & Kooks catted y setup sound to you guys? The only reason I would go with the QTP LTs over the Kooks LTs right now is b/c they are about $100 cheaper. Or should I just pay the $100 more and go all kooks?
Old 03-19-2006, 11:54 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Poly mounts fixed my issues with the custom Y banging.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:16 AM
TECH Addict

the 4 piece design of the qtps takes alittle trial and error when test fitting but you should be able to get decent clearance plus the hvmc is a bonus with the qtps so i'd say go qtp.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Do QTP's work with cars that are lowered?

Thanks
Old 03-20-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with qtp's.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:25 PM
TECH Resident

I would recommend the QTPs.

As a reference, I know a guy, with an 02 Z M6. He has the Kooks, and their cat'd y-pipe, with a B&B catback. After a tune, he put down like 347 RWHP, and around 36X RWTQ. With the standard QTPs, their cat' d y-pipe, and their cats', after a tune, through a Borla catback, my car put down 354/360 RWHP/RWTQ. Some of that may be due to the QTEC open, in the Borla flange, but, I bet some of that is in the y-pipe.

I just upgraded to QTPs HVMCs, and love them. I haven' t dyno' d them yet, but, once I get a little more $$$, I am gonna. I have changed to some different cat' s though, and changed the y-pipe a little, and hope to be able to pull a little more power out. The PITA on the QTP y-pipe, for me, was where the pipe went under the floor crossmemeber, just past the collector. In order to have enough clearance, for that, I had to pull the cat down, on the driver' s side. The most clearance I can get with this setup was about 3.5".

Just drive carefully, and you will be okay.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Kooks LT and catted Y. Love them both, easy installation and I dont have any ground clearence problems and I lowered the car (see signature). I dont have the numbers to say I have more HP but I would bet that both are equal. I would make price be your deciding factor on choosing. Both are great exhaust for these cars. Let us see what you decided on when you get them in!
Old 03-20-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah the hp difference is going to be minimal. Buy the cheaper of the 2. That being said I have the QTP's.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:51 PM
11 Second Club

QTPs are the best!
Old 03-20-2006, 07:57 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll def let you know what I picked when I get them.