Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tru Duals

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 09:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tru Duals

Hey does ne one know of or have have ne links of a good manufacturer for a true dual exhuast for the 1999 f body
Old 03-29-2006, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

There's a couple of kits most dump before the axle, so if you want a full setup custom is the only way. Check out the sponsors such as TSP ----->

But why do you want duals? They are not needed and in most cases will not outperform a well sorted Y setup. Don't get carried away with all the hype about duals.

They do sound good (but so do Y pipes IMO), but locating them can be a pain espcially if you plan on a body mounted torque arm. Best bet is read the stickies and do some research before commiting to anyone route.

shoot me a PM (or post it up) if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Look on the right at the sponsor list. Go check out Texas Speed website. They have a true dual kit with 3 different muffler options for around 400 bucks.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:43 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there some sort of rule we can impose that if anything comes up with the words:

Tru Duals
Tru Duels
True Duels
True Duals

That it gets an autolock or something?

Yeah. That'd be great.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:49 AM
Teching In

Just do a custom true dual set up... its a lot cheaper. Including lt's, x-pipe and mufflers i have about $600 in my exhaust.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

Unless Texas Speed now offers the option of shipping their kits welded to a jig for your car, I wouldn't go that route. Sure they are adjustable and can be made to tuck up well, but there are better, cheaper ways of going about it.

If you don't have a shop near you that has a mandrel bender or stocks mandrel bends, order the Jegs or Summit universal X pipe kit. It is configured much like the TSP setup, and all you need to buy is mufflers and band clamps for the header collectors. Depending on the header, it will need to be tweaked some to fit perfectly. My friend spent ~$200 for Jeg's 3" kit, took it to a muffler shop here in town with mandrel bends, and they only charged him $150 to tweak it to his car on the lift and weld it all up as 1 piece. He has a 94 T/A with Pacesetter LT's. If you ever had to remove the exhaust, it can be done and reinstalled in probably 30 minutes.

Lane sold his shop and I'm not sure if he's still building true duals on the side anymore. If I were buying true duals at this time, I would get go the route mentioned above.

Jason
Old 03-29-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
if you want a full setup custom is the only way.
That's wrong. Bassani makes a full system out the back.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by blue01ta
That's wrong. Bassani makes a full system out the back.
But will it work with a body mounted torque arm??

Thought not
Old 03-29-2006, 04:57 PM
10 Second Club

who's does??? if you are refering to the BMR TRAK PAK. or the spohn one that mounts where the original tunnel brace mounts?
Old 03-30-2006, 05:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mrr23
who's does??? if you are refering to the BMR TRAK PAK. or the spohn one that mounts where the original tunnel brace mounts?
I'm talking about oe of these:

Many people make them, BMR, Spohn, UMI and others. Personally I like the UMI one the best.

A well setup body mounted torque arm will have more positive affect on ET's than running duals will over a Y pipe.

and as you can see from the pick, fitting an X pipe dual system would be problematic, it's possible but it would need to be custom made to clear the torque arm.

All my advice is:

"Plan ahead"

As mods now will affect future mods and it's pointless spending money re-doing the same mod over and over again.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:56 PM
Launching!

Does anyone know if the TSP True Duals are designed for a particular brand of LT?
Old 03-31-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FunkyTownFBody
Does anyone know if the TSP True Duals are designed for a particular brand of LT?
I'm pretty sure they are made for Pacesetters.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:35 PM
Banned

There's a couple of kits most dump before the axle, so if you want a full setup custom is the only way. Check out the sponsors such as TSP ----->

But why do you want duals? They are not needed and in most cases will not outperform a well sorted Y setup. Don't get carried away with all the hype about duals.

They do sound good (but so do Y pipes IMO), but locating them can be a pain espcially if you plan on a body mounted torque arm. Best bet is read the stickies and do some research before commiting to anyone route.

shoot me a PM (or post it up) if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer.
Your ignorant...A y-pipe cant make the power in the curve that duals with an X or H will make.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:37 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by 1936FordPU
Your ignorant...A y-pipe cant make the power in the curve that duals with an X or H will make.
Uh-oh...you did it now
Old 03-31-2006, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A well setup body mounted torque arm will have more positive affect on ET's than running duals will over a Y pipe.
How safe is it to run these? I've had someone (a sponsor who knows his stuff) tell me that they could rip out the bolts from the floorpan, as the floorpan is thin and not meant to take that stress. I changed my mind and decided to cancel my order for one when I heard that.

BTW, in this case, the word should be "you're" (a contraction for you and are), not "your" (posessive). Just thought I'd point that out if we're going to start calling people ignorant.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

It is spelled " You're " .... as in " you are "....
Old 03-31-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Is there some sort of rule we can impose that if anything comes up with the words:

Tru Duals
Tru Duels
True Duels
True Duals

That it gets an autolock or something?

Yeah. That'd be great.
you forgot Ture Duals
Old 04-01-2006, 07:20 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Full-Force
you forgot Ture Duals
DAMN.

Your an ***. Oh wait. Make that "you're".
Old 04-01-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Marc '99T/A
How safe is it to run these? I've had someone (a sponsor who knows his stuff) tell me that they could rip out the bolts from the floorpan, as the floorpan is thin and not meant to take that stress. I changed my mind and decided to cancel my order for one when I heard that.

BTW, in this case, the word should be "you're" (a contraction for you and are), not "your" (posessive). Just thought I'd point that out if we're going to start calling people ignorant.
I have always thought the same thing about the body mount arm.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

I love my duals and I personally think they sound better than any y pipe LS1 I have heard.