Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Y pipe and cat combo??

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y pipe and cat combo??

So I originally was going to get pacesetter lt's and the tsp catted y-pipe, but I've heard that there is issues with clearance and the roads and speed bumps around here aren't to nice. So I was thinking about gettin a custom job done. I have an slp LM and slp ory y. I'm still gonna pruchase the pacesetter lt's and thinking of going with random tech cats. Does anyone have any idea the cost of gettin the cats modded and welded to the y pipe?? And if I did that they would still fit the headers right? Please give me any comments or help you can. I'm looking for a good job but of course as cheap as I can get it.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi, I'm not sure if I can help you with the low cost your looking for because i dont know how much $ that would cost you. But, I will tell you that you could avoid all that hastle if you would consider looking at the Dynatech Supermaxx system. I could not belive how awsome this system went together. And the clearance blows away any other system out there. This comes as 1 package. Check out my install on this thread;theres alot of good pics to show you what he system looks like.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/470838-who-has-supermaxx-system.html
Old 04-22-2006, 02:59 PM
Staging Lane

if the slp ory is bolted to your stock manifolds, it might not fit on the headers. I'm not 100% sure about this, so you might wanna hear from some other people.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:21 PM
12 Second Club

I did something similiar, before with my old y-pipe, what i did was i had a 3" y-pipe with no cats and i wanted to put cats on just to pass inspection and obvoiusly to keep on my car, and to get rid of that raspy sound like my exhaust was made out of tin can, besides they only tie up like minimal hp, random t's and the magnaflow prob flow best however they are only $75each, vs $300 for rt's. Anyways it only cost me like $200 to buy the magnaflows and have them installed i cant see it costin alot.. But to convert a 2.5" y-pipe to a 3" cat and still keep it the same lenght to fit correctly i dont know.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

what magnaflows did u buy? And do i need cats with an air hookup or what? I'm new to all this stuff and was wondering if someone could explain to me what they do.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:15 PM
Banned

Generically speaking only, if you already have the collector and converters, a custom ypipe should run anywhere from a hundred fiftey to two hundred no more, with a good shop doing the install based on fitment etc.. Here is what the completed image would look like:
Old 04-23-2006, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

so i would want to put one cat after the mandrel bend and the other one right on the end of the y?
Old 04-23-2006, 05:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FormulaNHRA
so i would want to put one cat after the mandrel bend and the other one right on the end of the y?
Here's my two cents:

That'll be up to your exhaust guy, unless you have a specific requirement, which I don't think you have at the moment unless I already missed something....

Anyway it'll be least expensive to not specify, then just show up with your headers and exhaust ready to install. Then the installer would re-re-evaluate and determine a nice place to locate it. He would welcome suggestions or requirements if he's good, however once you're there, there are only a certain number of options.

Alternatively--and this would be my specific suggestion--you could weld the cats on the end of the header collectors, and run the custom y off that an into a smooth y collector. If you do that, the cats would have equal backpressure from all cylinder banks thus along with the mandrel bends of the y it would be perfectly ideal.

Although alternatively to the alternative, placing the cats on the y itself could yield more clearance (rather than off the header collector), if the car wasn't lowered already. That is your next best alternative, especially for ground clearance.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

i can see what ur sayin. Instead of weldin the cats to the headers would i be able to just use a band clamp? would that hold? But then I would weld the cats into the y, b/c incase i ever need to take the y/cats off i don't have to take the headers off to. Also since i'll be cuttin and weldin myself it would be easier to weld everything on the y with headers on then band clamp the cats to the headers and bolt the y back on the i merge. Could it work without potential problems?
Old 04-23-2006, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

along with reducers after the cats (forgot that)
Old 04-23-2006, 10:25 PM
Banned

I think it would be very good from a variety of perspectives. The combination we are talking about is the what you are looking to run, and with the appropriate installation should flow very nice.