Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will I throw a code, header install quest.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 11:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will I throw a code, header install quest.

I am gonna get some headers. I will get rear o2 sims, my car doesnt have egr (02), but aobut the air. Can i get !air headers and simply remove all the air tubing but just leave the air pump plugged in?

so basically, will i throw a code if the air pump is plugged in but not hooked up tubing wise?
Old 04-25-2006, 11:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some cars do some cars don't. More than likely you will.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:52 PM
11 Second Club

So would it be a bad idea to get headers with !air and !egr then? Or can i get those headers and just tamper with the system a bit till it doesnt set em anymore?
Old 04-26-2006, 01:06 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Go race style. Tear out the AIR system and get a block off plate.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

rip out the air pump and find somebody with LS1Edit or HPTuners to "fix" the emissions crap...you won't even need rear 02 sims.....just delete 'em.....
Old 04-26-2006, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

One of the advantages of not living in the "Land of fruits and nuts" is not having to worry ones self with such mundane things as AIR and EGR so we can concentrate on more creative ways to pollute the environment with our muscle machines.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:50 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
One of the advantages of not living in the "Land of fruits and nuts" is not having to worry ones self with such mundane things as AIR and EGR so we can concentrate on more creative ways to pollute the environment with our muscle machines.
bingo!
Old 04-26-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Lawn mowers, and 2-stroke engines (on anything from a weed whacker to an outboard engine) pollute more than all modern (PCM-controlled EFI) muscle cars combined. Air Injection Reaction pumps run only for a short time after start-up, to lessen start-up emissions. Improved intake manifolds, and catalytic converters eliminated the need for EGR.

Today's (let's say '92 and up) vehicles are so much cleaner than the ****-boxes of yesteryear, you can't even compare them. PCM-controlled EFI is so mind-boggling precise in the way in which it delivers and burns the air/fuel mixture, that alone should be sufficient.

First it was lead....okay, so we go to plumbing-choked, '71 to '74 smog engines. Then we go to unleaded fuel...but that isn't enough...now we have to reduce carbon monoxide, and nitrogen oxide, so we have to have catalytic converters to chemically react exhaust gases to reduce these emissions. STILL not enough. Now we have to go after those nasty VOC's (Volatile Organic Compounds) that have almost 0% to do with exhaust gasses. VOC's are created mainly from gasoline evaporated into the atmosphere, hence the pain-in-the-*** fuel tank purge line/charcoal canister gizmo. Cute. More VOC's are released into the atmosphere from spilling gasoline (at the gas station, the millions of us who...ooops...over-flow the lawn mower fuel tank, which, by the way, has no fuel tank purge line/charcoal canister gizmo), than from all the modern muscle cars on the planet.

Meanwhile, we spew **** of every description into the atmosphere with chain saws, weed whackers, leaf-blowers, lawn mowers, 2-stroke dirt bikes, sleds, and outboard engines. And let's not even get started on diesels, even though they are cleaner than they used to be, they are still responsible for high particulate emissons.

This is what pisses me off so much about emissions laws/testing...THEY'RE TESTING THE WRONG VEHICLES!. Geez....ever get behind a city bus? They **** out more crud going around the block, than my Trans Am does in an entire year.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bichin95redta
This is what pisses me off so much about emissions laws/testing...THEY'RE TESTING THE WRONG VEHICLES!. Geez....ever get behind a city bus? They **** out more crud going around the block, than my Trans Am does in an entire year.
This is my exact reasoning why i want to get rid of this crap.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
This is my exact reasoning why i want to get rid of this crap.
DO IT! Your car will still run cleaner than 90% of the other internal combustion- powered vehicles on the planet.

4th-Gen F-Bods, especially the LSx-powered ones, run ridiculously clean. When I start worrying about what my long-tubes and ORY are contributing to the grand scheme of things, I'll grow a beard, wear flannel shirts, live in the woods, and start eating tree bark. At least my farts will be non-polluting.....
Old 04-27-2006, 07:42 AM
TECH Addict

I was being facetious. Actually progress can be made. Look at the traditionally polluting 2 stroke outboard. Suzuki got out of 2 strokes completely. Honda never made them here. Yamaha has only a few 2 stroke models left. Johnson(bought out by Bombardier after bankruptcy) though has come out with a new 2 stroke which is less polluting than the 4 strokes it competes against. They use direct injection and engine management which is so good they got an award because their emissions are so low. The EPA does a lot of misguided things, but being a government agency that's to be expected. If you take a trip to northwestern Arizona and stare at that big hole in the ground for a while you come to realize that the impact each of us has on the environment is pretty small. Mount St Helen probably caused more air polution in one day back in May 84 than all of the people in the US do in an entire year.

Last edited by eallanboggs; 04-28-2006 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

I'd check with some local guys to find out how hard it is to get a sticker in your area, before you start removing polution equipment.

It sure would suck to have put the stock headers back on in order to pass inspection, and besides, removing the AIR pump won't make your car any faster.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:33 PM
11 Second Club

We don't have emissions testing in my area. I can get rid of what i want.

I am only worried that the car will set an SES light, and I don't want to have one of those.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Johnson(bought out by Bombardier after bankruptcy) though has come out with a new 2 stroke which is less polluting than the 4 strokes it competes against.
Yeah, I know you were just funnin'. No offense taken.....

True enough, but in a very large part of the country, boating is not a year-round activity, hence, outboard engines get few hours put on them each season. There are a LOT of stinky, smokey, old, dirty 2-stroke outboards still on the back ends of boats. In the parts of the country where boats cannot be used year-round, engines have low hours, and not many new ones are purchased, especially when you consider how much $$$$ a new outboard costs.

And there are still plenty of stinky, smokey, old, dirty 2-stroke chainsaws, weed whackers, dirt bikes, sleds, snow blowers, etc. being used.

And, I'd like to have a tank in my back yard large enough to hold all of the gasoline spilled (major cause of VOC's) in this country in just one year.

I would love watch an LS1-powered F-Body with long-tubes, 02 delete, AIR delete being "sniffer" tested. I bet it would pass emissions just about anywhere except CA. Fortunately, we don't do the "sniffer" thing in NY (I'm talking Upstate....I don't know what the hell they test for in NYC), so I'm not worried about it. As long as your car isn't setting any codes, (especially MIL), and you have it inspected by someone you know (for the visual), it'll pass in NY. At least for now...........