Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anything like a Flowmaster?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anything like a Flowmaster?

I have a friend that runs a flowmaster catback with 40s and it sounds really good, nice mellow tone, gets pretty throaty under WOT. I know they are probably one of the most restrictive mufflers out there but sound so good. Is there anything that outflows it but sounds the same? Just how restrictive are they in comparison to alot of other stuff on the market. Single chamber might be a little on the loud side. Oh ill be running the good ole' LTs, ORY set up btw..
Old 04-28-2006, 10:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your friend runs 40's on what kind of car? There's only one (80) made for the LS1 F body to use with your Y pipe, unless your gonna do true duals. Personally I think they sound better on Mustangs than LS1's.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

98 TA A4. Its a Y pipe with a flowmaster, i assumed single in double out 40 series Im new to the LS1s coming from fox stangs, give me a break lol
Old 04-29-2006, 12:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe they only make one crossflow (1 in 2 out on both sides) and its an 80. I had one and it sounded week and it blew a hole in one of the welds a few months after the headers and ORY went on.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Correct, the muffler on f-body cat backs is the 80 series, and it's the worst flowing muffler flowmaster makes. You want the sound AND the flow, do true duals and stick some 10 series flowmaster race mufflers on there.....unless you don't like attention.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Resident

40 series flows good. It's the transverse 80 series that flows bad.

If it's in the same spot as the stock muffler and has a outlet on both sides it's a 80 series. This is the flowmaster catback that flowmaster makes.

A 40 series in a f-body requires a custom set-up and is usually used with true duals, but it's possible in a y-pipe set-up.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Veteran

On my '98, I ran a single in/out 40 series Flowmaster and adapted the tailpipes to it. Pretty easy to do and it sounded decent. However, I had two 10 series 1-chamber race mufflers on my '02 Z and it sounded awesome The 80 series is a waste of $$ IMO.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah im not saying I want a flowmaster, I know they dont flow and I dont want to pay 1000 to have someone run trues. Im gonna lower the car and dont want to deal with all the issues either. I want something that would SOUND similar to a flowmaster but flow. I have single chamber dynomax bullets on the fox and its just a little too raspy and loud, but for that car its fine. Flowmasters sound better than any other muffler IMHO and thats the tone I'm shooting for. I want loud yes, but not loud and shitty sounding like a farm truck HAHAHA
Old 04-29-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Veteran

I paid $100 to have my TD's dumped before the axle The one and two chambers flow well. The one chambers are going to flow very well, and give you the Flowmaster sound you want.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

where in texas did you get your duals done for $100
Old 04-29-2006, 04:20 PM
TECH Veteran

A shop in Texarkana on the Arkansas side, but I think it's under new ownership now. I took some pics of Countryboy's setup with me, along with my mufflers and X-pipe. The guy looked at the pics and said "How does $100 sound?" Took just a little over an hour to do the work. It wasn't mandrel bent pipe, but at 3", that didn't matter much, and there weren't any sharp bends anyway.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flowmaster 40 series are one of the worst flowing chambered mufflers available. However if the actual flowmaster sound is what you are looking for there aren't any mufflers that I am aware of that sound the same. I just put my mufflex catback on my car with the Flowmaster muffler with a single tailpipe. Its sounds wonderful. Many people have commented on the sound and tone of it already...and a couple people have told me it has same tone as a 5.0 fox with flowmasters on it. Overall i am very impressed with the quality, ease of install, and extremely impressed with the sound of this catback. Sounds like it might be what your looking for as well. I am not sure what series muffler comes with this catback, but its very quiet at idle, but comes to life under throttle and load...also has no drone whatsoever like the people with the 80 series flowmasters complain about. Also coming in at 4" i am sure it still outflows most of the other catbacks available because its that much larger.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If I did true duals I would have to run them out the back, IMO a TA with no tips is kinda weird looking. To run then all the way out makes the price prob 6x that of dumping it LOL. Dont get me wrong if i had like a friend that was awesome at exhaust and said hey ill do it for cheap and itll be perfect then I would probably run trues, ive had true duals on every v8 car Ive messed with (all Fords lol). The underside of these cars just make it a PITA for exhaust work unfortunately. Wish everything was as easy/cheap as small block ford foxes HAHA
Old 04-29-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

its not that expensive to get true duals run all the way out the back. I had it done on one of my cars for around $200
Old 04-29-2006, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That sounds too cheap. Is the car lowered? Did you have to get an adj bar/relocation bracket? From what I understand its just about more a bitch than its worth having lol..
Old 04-29-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

it was on a 80's cutlass...G-body (same as the monte carlos)

My dad has also had his 69 camaro SS conv. and 70 chevelle SS 454 done at the same shop both for under $300....and they turned out better than perfect. He also uses mandrel bending (spelling?) and stainless piping. It is just a small shop that specializes in alignments, brakes, and exhaust.

Every one of my cars I have had my exhaust work done by this shop and same goes for my dad...you just need to look around and find a good reputable shop that is not some big franchise.