Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump ?

Where is the fuel pump located?
Old 05-04-2006, 08:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shooter9
Where is the fuel pump located?

While restraining myself from saying "Any parts store or dealership parts department".....in the tank.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:11 PM
Staging Lane

"Thats funny"
How do you know when one is going bad?
Mine is making a whinning noise that sounds pretty serious and is continiuos.I thought at first it was bad gas and with any luck maybe still is. It started when I like a dummy got gas at a country gas station, it will bog real bad like it is being smotherd when I try to excell at a fast rate.I ran almost all of that gas out I would say their was lil over a 1\4 tank left and put better gas in it and it got better are so I thought but not near as bad as it was. It comes and goes now.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:22 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shooter9
"Thats funny"
How do you know when one is going bad?
Mine is making a whinning noise that sounds pretty serious and is continiuos.I thought at first it was bad gas and with any luck maybe still is. It started when I like a dummy got gas at a country gas station, it will bog real bad like it is being smotherd when I try to excell at a fast rate.I ran almost all of that gas out I would say their was lil over a 1\4 tank left and put better gas in it and it got better are so I thought but not near as bad as it was. It comes and goes now.

A restricted filter can cause strain on the pump making it whine. I would change the filter first and if it doesn't go away you're going to need a new pump soon.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info, will do.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

The two best ways to check a fuel pump if to measure fuel pressure and fuel volume, you can also measure the pump's amperage draw but I would stick with the first two. There is also a chance that your fuel pump is okay but the strainer that is connected to it is clogged from the dirty gas, this isn't very likely but still a possibility. What really sucks is that on F-Bodies in order to do a fuel pump you gotta drop the gas tank, which means dropping the rear-end and the exhaust, maybe someone knows a way to get around this, most likely with a torch.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:16 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fuel filter is cheap, try it.

A few years ago, my mom, myself, and everyone else swore up and down that her transmission was going out in her 96 Chevy truck. Changed the fuel filter it and ran like a spotted-butt-ape.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YEV33
What really sucks is that on F-Bodies in order to do a fuel pump you gotta drop the gas tank, which means dropping the rear-end and the exhaust, maybe someone knows a way to get around this, most likely with a torch.
http://www.public.asu.edu/~nicolasd/...mpinstall.html
http://www.geocities.com/formulapower2/fuelpump.html
Old 05-05-2006, 01:12 PM
Staging Lane

That's exactly what I was thinking when I said that there might be a way around this. Cutting an access hole above the fule pump in the car's body, I am an auto tech and this wouldn't even be an option if I was working on a customer's car, my own car that's a different story. When I need to replace mine I wlll probably be cutting a hole as well. Thanks for the links.