Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks vs. PaceSetter ~ Installation and Fitment question

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kooks vs. PaceSetter ~ Installation and Fitment question

I'm really just throwing this out there to justify why I would spend $700 more on a stainless steel header/y-pipe combination ... I want a catted y-pipe with my LT's and the material isn't the issue.

First, I've heard some good and bad things about the PaceSetters, and only good about the Kooks as far as installation.

But I haven't seen anything in regards to a comparisson of how well each of them fit. Does one hang lower than the other, does one Y-pipe hang lower or bang on something whereas the other does not?

I need someone with experience to help me out... because as it sits, I don't want to be the person spending $1400+ on a headers/y-pipe setup if I don't have to, I'd rather put the $$ towards a catback and a lid
Old 05-13-2006, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fitment of both headers will be good. the kooks y will fit better, almost guaranteed (no matter where you get the pace setter y).

you're not only paying for build quality with the kooks, but also the fact that they are stainless.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:06 PM
11 Second Club

I just got pacesetters, I was impressed at their quality. 100% happy here. Easy fit, no problems at all.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

Pacesetter LT's seems great.. Finding a catted Y that will fit with them.. and not have issues.. seems to be where the problem lies.. the ORY seems fine or so I hear. You might be better off getting the pacesetter lt's and 2 hi flow mangaflow cats then having a local muffler shop come up with a nice Y to fit them and do the install.. I dont think it would rune more than 2-300 for them to install the Y and fab it. unsure what they would charge for header install

GL

Or maybe beg kooks to come up with a catted Y

I got the TSP catted Y with pacesetter's deal from TSP... and the Y was a serious pain in the ***
Old 05-13-2006, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

But... kooks has a catted Y ...

http://www.kookscustomheaders.com/pr...20-%20Y%20Pipe

would it fit on the pace setters?
Old 05-13-2006, 11:39 PM
TECH Resident

Wow didnt know they had one.. or maybe forgot that they did... Shrugs.. most likely it was designed to fit with kooks headers

In the end I guess bang for buck.. the TSP package deal isnt that bad.. just epxect to spend about 200 for just the y pipe install Mine has sheeeetloads of leaks or rattles when they tried using the U clamps provided.

They ended up having to add flanges to it and so on.. was a major pain.. the first shop said they couldnt get it on.. they needed to take it to a second shop.

Even with that.. you can get pacesetter lt's and catted Y from tsp.. shipped to you and installed.. for less than the kooks and catted Y.. But if you do the install yourself.. the kooks might be the way to go.. perhaps less problems.

Higher quality material too I think?
Stainless vs coated.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:21 AM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

They both will go in good...most people dont run into any problems with the pacesetters.

It comes down to price and weather or not stainless is needed.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:07 AM
That's what she said...

I had more problems installing a ste of Kooks, than installing my Pacesetters. The Pacesetters almost installed themselves.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:58 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
I had more problems installing a ste of Kooks, than installing my Pacesetters. The Pacesetters almost installed themselves.
Not sure how you installed your kooks but I just pulled my car onto my car trailer(mini-lift) and did the swap there . I had slp LT. My kooks went right up from underneith the car with no problem. The only issue I had was getting my bolts started and holding the header in place. If I had some one helping me kooks would have been up and bolted down in ten minutes. As far as the Y-pipe goes. I would not have a clue cause I run a X-pipe
Old 05-14-2006, 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Kooks has its issues as well..

Keep your eyes peeled for a post from me in the next couple days.