Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

about to get headers...cats or no cats??

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about to get headers...cats or no cats??

I am about to get a set of pacesetter headers from TSP and I can not decide if I want the catted y pipe or the ory. I would rather get the ory because the package is $200 cheaper. I see a lot of people on this board with the ory so my question to them is how do you pass emissions??

I live in texas and I have got a lot of contradicting information pertaining to emissions tests. So I don't know what to do. Should I just pitch the $200 extra dollars?? I really rather not, and I am not going to if I don't have to.
Also, how much difference is there between the catted and non-catted y pipe??? Different sound?? Loss of any performance??

Any input would be great, thanks.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

not sure about emissions,but ory w/o cats= crazy loud not always a good loud either depending on the catback. also without cats you gain about 2-5 hp's
Old 05-29-2006, 07:49 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO pay the extra $200. you'll be emissions legal and your exhaust will sound a lot better. ORY = tons of rasp in many situations. cats make the exhaust a lot better sounding. running no cats is NOT worth the 3hp you lose by running them. they don't become restrictive til you're pushing over 500hp.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

"Cats?! We don't need no stinkin' cats!" Sorry, I couldn't resist; I was watching it just yesterday. If you're worried about emissions and the police, then go with cats. But if you don't mind some rasp (some guys run a bullet muffler in the I-pipe to reduce this), then you don't need cats.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

im gonna say no, but im a stupid redneck
Old 05-29-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do we pass emissions with an ORY, easy, either we don't have emissions tests, or just have the OBD2 test (plug into the cars computer and check for error codes) and no visual inspection
As for the sound, you'll get as many opinions on that as there are members here, probably the best thing to do is to get the ORY, and if you don't like the sound, grab a set of cats off ebay, and have them put in, performance loss will be minimal (you likely won't even notice)
The sound will depend alot on the type of catback you choose, with a loudmouth it'll be extremely (think cop attracting neighbors bitching) loud, with one of the quieter catbacks (hooker, or dual dual) it'll be louder than stock but not ear shattering.
Depends on what you like/want
Old 05-29-2006, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

thanks for the quick replies.

I have the SLP dual/dual and i figure that will be perfect for the kind of sound i want after getting headers, i think it will keep it deep w/o rasp and should be loud when i want it to be, but not obnoxious(sp?).

Well, im not too worried about getting in trouble because i have no cats, i just want to pass emissions. Does anyone happen to know what kind of emissions testing they do here in Lubbock, Tx???

I guess once I find out the answer to that question, I will have the answer to my original question. thanks.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm in cypress and texas requires catalytic converters on all vehicles. I used to do inspections at a shop. Only your pockets will notice the difference.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:35 PM
11 Second Club

SLP dual/dual w/ ory and LTS sounds awesome. You really don't need cats on that setup imo unless you need them to pass.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

yea I know they "require" cats here, but there are TONS of people in texas running an ory pipe so I know there are ways to pass...like someone said earlier, there are some places that only do an obdII scan and don't even look to make sure cats are there. I am hoping that lubbock is one of these places. I guess if nobody knows the answer, I will just have to call around tomorrow and see for myself. I would have done it today but they were all closed.
pHEnomIC-- yea, I agree. Hopefully no cats are needed, but I guess it will sound badass either way.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like if you're in one of these counties you get tested, so if you live in one of them get the cats
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/insp.../item_insp.asp
Old 05-29-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

2k2ws6ta-- thank you very much...i have been looking for a page exactly like that. I live in Lubbock county, so I am not in any of those testing zones.

I think that answers the question....i will be getting the ory and saving $200 for other mods!!!

thanks for all the input!
Old 06-08-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok im gettin the pacesetters(non egr) and ory from texas speed, what else do i need...o2 sims???....exstensions??? what????? i know i need to get the ses light turned off but what else???
Old 06-08-2006, 06:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I passed emissions twice with Mac headers, no cats and a 224/112 cam. Gotta love OBDII.