Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP TD, Sound is awesome but, now its gone, please read

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 12:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSP TD, Sound is awesome but, now its gone, please read

I finally got my TSP TD with ST installed last Thursday and I loved the sound I just couldn't be happier, that was the sound I've always wanted, plain loud rumble like a classic muscle car. PERFECT!!!
I drove around with it being dumped before the axle until today. Today I decided to get it out the back under the axle with 2.5" piping with some nice magnaflow tips. Everything fits perfect, looks great with good ground clearance. So now I'm even more happy and excited about my new exhaust setup and couldn't wait to start the car. So I did.
That’s when I got disappointed, I almost cried, (I was thinking to my self:” all that work and money spend for this")
The sound is gone!!!! wtf........ It's a lot quieter and the rumble is not there any more!!! completely different, not the sound I want.
The only reason I decided to get it out the back was to be able to put tips on. But now I want the dumped TD sound back!!!!
So here is what I want to do, please let me know what you think and if this makes sense, is it worth it. Or is it just a stupid idea????
I was thinking that I could go back with turndowns dump them like before but cut the turndowns even with the tail pipes and leave the tail pipes on the car for show and tips only. So I could have the tips on, tail pipes on but the sound from the dumps. and I think If I could trim down the turndowns so they would be even with the tail pipes it wouldn't even be visible from the rear. (until its cold out side, but that is a different story) Maybe I could even clamp the turndowns on to the mufflers instead of welding and cut up a piece of pipe that I could just swap up with the turndowns, so it coud run thru tail pipes. If I had to go for emissions or if I would ever got tired of dumps.
what you guys think, help please..... sorry for the long post
Old 05-31-2006, 01:14 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The car still has it's sound, you just can't hear it in the car, which is a good thing. You probably would have gotten tired of it sooner or later. I'd take it back and have some flanges welded onto the mufflers, then have one set of flanged dumps, and one set of flanged extensions. Dumps look better than any tips on a Camaro besides CME IMO.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
I'd take it back and have some flanges welded onto the mufflers, then have one set of flanged dumps, and one set of flanged extensions.
would these extensions and turndowns work with clamps too or its got to be a flange?
Old 05-31-2006, 01:24 AM
On The Tree

The car still has it's sound, you just can't hear it in the car, which is a good thing.
btw, forgot to ask/add one more thing, would the sound change if the 2.5"tail pipes were crushed bend? because that's what I got crap
maybe thats the problem???
Old 05-31-2006, 03:31 AM
On The Tree

Anyone ????
Old 05-31-2006, 03:31 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a car up at our shop that has the same thing you described. Sounds good....even for an LT1 cammed and slammed. I never knew that it was that way til we stuck it on the lift.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:13 AM
Tech Resident

have someone else drive your car and go WOT and you stand back and listen. you'll see the sound is still there. now you can have a conversation and everyone else outside can still hear your loud car.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, stand outside and get someone to rev it for you.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:39 AM
TECH Regular

just put two cutouts where the turndowns were and be done with it. This way you can have the dual sound and keep your tips out back nice and solid. Also if Johnny Law gives you any trouble, just cap em up and be done with it.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

Im with bigman. Just put cutouts where the turn downs are so that it is dumped when you want it to be and it goes out the back when you want it to.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I just installed my headers and I'd "love" to put a true dual w/dumps on the car but I would hate to loose my CME setup !! The CME setup just looks to cool !! Besides, I get to hear my exhaust when I jump on the gas pedal !!
Old 05-31-2006, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

i like my dumps, and i gotta agree, dumps look better on a camaro than tail pipes!
Old 05-31-2006, 04:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i love my dumps too, only tips id put on are the b&b tri flo's
Old 05-31-2006, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dumps look better than any tips on a Camaro besides CME IMO.
I completely agree. I think all SS's should have true dual's dumpted b4 the axel Tips on a camaro don't look that great. Besides, you save weight without the exhaust going all the way back out.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

your sound IS gone

remember how deep and rasp free you thought it was?

get someone to rev it it up using medium to high throttle and listen to it rasp like a ****

running them out the back lets you hear what the ground covers up

i chopped my extensions up and used them to make other stuff because even though it made life easier in the car i know it sounded like **** when under a load around 2500 rpm's to other drivers

I have already built several of the same exhaust you are describing so I know what Im talking about. I have a dumped Y pipe on my car right now that you cant tell its not duals. Its dumpping the exhaust under the car that makes it deeper and less raspy. A cutout that points out the side of the car isnt the same.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel you man.. I ran pipes from my dual one chambers under the axle into the CME... While it looks great, I now miss the dumped throaty sound... Full-Force is right, even with duals my exhaust seems to have more of a rasp to it now that it's going through tailpipes... I'm really thinking about going back to dumps & selling the CME set-up

Mike

Last edited by MM98; 05-31-2006 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Full-Force
your sound IS gone

remember how deep and rasp free you thought it was?

get someone to rev it it up using medium to high throttle and listen to it rasp like a ****

running them out the back lets you hear what the ground covers up

i chopped my extensions up and used them to make other stuff because even though it made life easier in the car i know it sounded like **** when under a load around 2500 rpm's to other drivers

I have already built several of the same exhaust you are describing so I know what Im talking about. I have a dumped Y pipe on my car right now that you cant tell its not duals. Its dumpping the exhaust under the car that makes it deeper and less raspy. A cutout that points out the side of the car isnt the same.
What If instead of cut outs and turndowns I would just keep the tail pipes on but I would cut a piece of pipe from the bottom (right after the mufflers from where the turndowns used to be) would that still rasp or will it sound like dumps?
Old 06-01-2006, 11:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Iou were to just have pipe that stopped at the axle and didnt pointdown it will still sound ok because its far enough under the car that the sound can resonate off of the underside of the car and the ground.

I have built every style you can imagine.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

thanks full-force lol.. I think thats what I'll try than, I"ll let you guys know how it worked out.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought I had the same problem as you...until I had a friend drive it for me. I disagree with full-force.....I certainly still have the badass sound. Very deep and throaty and absolutley no rasp. I believe it to be even deeper sounding now. It's still loud as hell out back, but not near as much in the car and nothing rattles anymore. This is just my opinion......but I have the same setup as you and I thought the same thing when I first drove it with the extensions out the back. Good luck with whatever you decide.