Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Y Pipe and High Flow Cat Coverter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best Y Pipe and High Flow Cat Coverter?

Hey people!! I have a question. I have recently bought a Magnaflow muffler. I am still seeking a little bit better sound and little more performance. Within the next week I am purchasing a TCI Super Stree Fighter Torque Converter 3500. I have a A4 2001 Camaro SS. Which Y pipe system should I go with. I dont want a off road setup. I want a Y pipe and high flow cat coverters to hook up with stock manifolds. No headers will ever be purchased. Any suggestions on a setup. If I had to buy something now...I am leaning towards the Bassani setup for something around $550 give or take. So..help a fellow LS1 lover out. Thanks
Old 06-08-2006, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

this is my brothers signature. Im using his name.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:11 AM
11 Second Club

From what I understand there is no performance gain from installing a new y-pipe on the factory exhaust manifolds.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:02 AM
12 Second Club

Stainless Works makes a y-pipe that is designed to also remove the cats. (looks like one piece, y-pipe and cat eliminators in one) I'm not sure if they make a Y with hi flow cats.

Mufflex also makes cat-elimination pipes that just go where the cats would be.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Resident

I think I have seen ads for a y-pipe and cats' from Random Technologies. The ad looks to have the same design cats' and an uncrushed y-pipe.

Do you really need new cats'? Yours are pretty good flowing, to my understanding, and if you don' t need them, maybe consider like a SLP 2.5" y-pipe.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No aftermarket cats will flow any better enough to make a difference. Not gonna sound any different either.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:22 AM
TECH Resident

That' s my understanding too. I' m not too sure one would find much of an improvement in A/M y-pipe either, unless you are adding more power, through a cam, heads, or something along those lines.

I' m considering putting my manifolds and cats' back on because of the cops in my area, after I try to open up the flange ports. Maybe I can find a 2.5" y-pipe too.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jlashley2001ss
Hey people!! I have a question. I have recently bought a Magnaflow muffler. I am still seeking a little bit better sound and little more performance. Within the next week I am purchasing a TCI Super Stree Fighter Torque Converter 3500. I have a A4 2001 Camaro SS. Which Y pipe system should I go with. I dont want a off road setup. I want a Y pipe and high flow cat coverters to hook up with stock manifolds. No headers will ever be purchased. Any suggestions on a setup. If I had to buy something now...I am leaning towards the Bassani setup for something around $550 give or take. So..help a fellow LS1 lover out. Thanks
There's two sides to exhaust tuning, one is flow and the other is scavenging.

To reduce flow restrictions you need to look at the whole system, manifolds, pipe diameter, mid pipe, cats, muffler.

Changing one or two of them will mean there will still be a restriction and only limited HP gains seen.

Personally if you are sticking with stock headers I would not bother changing the mid pipe and cats, yes you will get a gain in HP but it won't be much and will have cost a lot to acheive.

Scavenging is where the power is really made from an exhaust and for this you need tubular manifolds with primary's of the correct length. In short you want long tube headers. Mids and shorties do not scavenging in the LS1's standard rpm range.

I know you said you wheren't interested in LT's but I would take a 2nd look and do some reading.

Texas Speed and Performance (a sponsor --->) offer Pacesetter LT's and their own catted Y pipe for like $700. The cats are good flowing Maganflow Carsound CATS and will be fine on a h/c setup or mild FI setup.

If you think you can get away without cats you can get the same headers and an ORY for $500.

It really is worth considering.

If you just want the best CATS you can get, then Random Technology 7000 Series Metal Matrix CATS are great and are fine for zero/low flow restriction on 500rwhp setups. But you will still only see limited gains by adding them to your current setup.

If you're after more power then a ported stock TB is a good idea and a LS6 intake, available from TSP for $400 or $450 with EGR fitting. This intake will give you better hp/$ than a stock replacement Y pipe and high flow cats on stock manifolds.

The stall is a good idea, and I would also consider a cam and cam install kit. As long as you don't go wild you can get a decent cam and install kit for not a lot of money. A cam plus good exhaust/induction mods will totally change your car combine that with the stall you are getting and you will have one decent street motor (although there's always someone faster.....).

Old 06-08-2006, 08:33 PM
Teching In

bassani makes a nice high flow catted y-pipe bolts directly to stock manifolds, no flat spots either like the stock pipe. clearance is good. be prepared to pay @500.00 bucks. I have it on my car and am satisfied.

Quick Reply: Best Y Pipe and High Flow Cat Coverter?