Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How important custom exhaust be mandrel-bent?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 07:24 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Question How important custom exhaust be mandrel-bent?

I am still trying to create my performance upgrade plan. Exhaust has me perplexed. The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know. It does seem quite clear to me that I will require some custom work.

So, just as the title asks, how important is it that the custom work be mandrel-bent?

I did not realize how expensive “mandrel-bending” machines were until I contacted a local “custom exhaust” guy. I do not even know who can do this locally.

Last edited by bsf; 06-08-2006 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends on what you want out of your car. Yes, mandrel bends will yield more hp then the crush bent. But unless you plan on making tons of power and need every little ounce of hp you can get, I really don't see it as a necessity.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:22 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can buy a buttload of mandrel tubing pre-bent, then just butt-weld it together. You wouldn't believe how many systems are built in this exact same way.

Why don't you want to get a system already in production like the TSP duals?
Old 06-08-2006, 10:45 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

I want stainless. I am considering Bassani's dual system. It is expensive, though, and will still require custom work to mate it to the QTP headers I want. I do not have a welder.

Last edited by bsf; 06-09-2006 at 02:23 PM. Reason: lack of oxygen to brain
Old 06-09-2006, 05:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

many people shun crushed bends but as already stated it depends on your goals. On most bolt on cam setup you will not be producing enough power to make any real odds over crushed or mandrel bent custom dual setup.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:54 AM
Banned

i have mandrel bending and I LOVE IT.

Not just the performance.. but the looks.. I HATE crush bend looks. Crimping reminds me of a stock camry look. lol.

For money wise? Eh, if you dont have it I wouldnt stress the mandrel bending. I went all out but I had the cash last month to do so.

As for the dual catback you speak of.. are you looking for true duals or a CATBACK? Different items.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If youre going to do stainless, might as well do it right. I usually tell people that theres not a mojor difference between the two, and its not likely worth more than a couple of horses. Since youre doing stainless, it would almost be a shame to see it kinked and crush bent. Like it was suggested, order enough mandrel bends beforehand and have the exhaust shop cut and weld them togather where needed.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Crush bent pipes cause turbulence in the exhaust flow, turbulence causes restriction, restriction = loss of power. If youre going to do it, do it right. UNLESS you're trying to run duals out the back, and if you are use a 3 bolt flange after the mufflers so you can remove the tailpipes for the track.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:03 PM
TECH Resident

Good advice. I am having a custom stainless Y made with mandrel bends. It looks cleaner and will not restrict exhaust flow. Always do it right the first time, and if you are going stainless then have the fabricator use a mandrel bender.

The costs are higher but the outcome, as with most things in life, you get what you pay for.

Originally Posted by RM99Z
Crush bent pipes cause turbulence in the exhaust flow, turbulence causes restriction, restriction = loss of power. If youre going to do it, do it right. UNLESS you're trying to run duals out the back, and if you are use a 3 bolt flange after the mufflers so you can remove the tailpipes for the track.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:07 PM
TECH Resident

Oh yeah, and if you want to crap your pants ask for a quote on a stainless true dual system out the back. Unless you have some serious money lying around, just stick with aluminzed steel true duals, or a custom stainless Y.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:36 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Ok. Thanks for the advice. I will have to ponder this further. I want to do as much work as possible, myself, to decrease the cost. Installing headers and Bassani’s dual system, if I go that route, should be easy enough. I definitely do not want to pay someone to install my headers. The problem there would be driving with open headers to the shop for any custom work. The longer the drive, the more likely I get pulled over. The only places I know of that probably mandrel bend are Wheel-to-Wheel and Livernois, both more than an hour away.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the TSP true duals, but I had them run out the back. I stayed 3" all the way out, but the guy didn't have a mandrel bender for 3" pipe so it was crush bent. They aren't crimped like the pipes you see at autozone, the bends are smooth, but you can tell they go in a little instead of staying the whole 3" diameter. But since it's so far back in the exhaust system, I doubt its costing me one hp not having it mandrel bent back there since the exhaust gases have cooled off so much.

Quick Reply: How important custom exhaust be mandrel-bent?