Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spraying out the radiator reserve

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 09:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spraying out the radiator reserve

Everytime I get on it hard, I get coolant spraying out the radiator reserve/overflow tank. all the cooling system was replaced a few months back. cause it did the same thing.

What do u think could be the prop.

TIA
mike.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

u might have air in the block...
Old 06-19-2006, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Is the reserve tank overflowing?
Old 06-20-2006, 09:11 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
If you don't have a dipstick on your overflow tank cap, you need to know that it doesn't take much to get that tank up to "Full" per GM.

You could also try the ole' stand beside your car and trickle water into the radiator while its running for 30-minutes trick. These cars have bitchy cooling systems at times and don't like to get full without some careful coaxing.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:51 AM
9 Second Club

That happen to me in the early summer, it was a blown head gasket.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:17 PM
Launching!

It still fires on all cyl's.
so how would I know it's a blown H/gasket?
Old 06-20-2006, 02:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
not sure, I just see coolant all oover the right side of the engine bay. like on the battery, C/control and stuff like that.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:35 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Have you tried burping the cooling system? Try starting the car and removing the cross tube that goes to the head on the drivers side, the tube that has the throttle body bypass hooked up to it. Once the car is up to temp, loosen the bolt and see if any air comes out, it should only be coolant. You might have air in the system.

Also, the overflow tank could be overfilled, causing the problem, but I would think that was already checked.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:31 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by sscamaro387
It still fires on all cyl's.
so how would I know it's a blown H/gasket?
Check and make sure your oil isn't mikly looking, then check for normal leaks. You could have a compression/leakdown test done as well.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

It's a blown headgasket(s). Only combustion pressure can make the coolant system blow out the overflow like that.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:41 PM
That's what she said...

If it is a blown head gasket, now's the perfect time for a set of $900 TSP CNC'd heads.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by technical
It's a blown headgasket(s). Only combustion pressure can make the coolant system blow out the overflow like that.
then wouldn't it make it miss fire? or throw a code. and it has all the power it did before. the only thing at like 5k rpm it has some slight surges. like a hissing sound when the coolant comes out.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:03 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by sscamaro387
then wouldn't it make it miss fire? or throw a code. and it has all the power it did before. the only thing at like 5k rpm it has some slight surges. like a hissing sound when the coolant comes out.
The cooling system is not presurized as much as the combustion chamber. This differential is going to keep water from leaking by (for the most part). Under idle or normal driving conditions, you're not making as much power, and the heads aren't trying to lift as much as under WOT. If any coolant ran into the combustion chamber, it would be a small amount and instantly vaporized due to the temp. At WOT the cylinder pressure may be forcing a huge amount of combustion gasses through the small leak causing the cooling system to overpressure and spew.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:19 PM
Launching!

SO, what if I pull all the plugs, would they have moisture on them???
Old 06-22-2006, 11:22 PM
Teching In

yeah man i have a 99 corvette and i just noticed tonight (while driving above 5K RPM for a few minutes) when i stopped that coolant was hissing out of the Hose that comes out of the overflow tank. All my hoses coming in and out of radiator and thermostat fell hot like it is flowing but just seems like there is ALOT of pressure. Another thing ive noticed with this is that the inside of the car gets extremely HOTTT! My temp gauge fluctuates from 200 to 240 on an ordinary day. Runs between 220 and 240 when its hot outside. Its supposed to have a 170 thermostat in it. Does anyone know if it is common for these aftermarket thermostats just to go bad? If the thermostat was closed and not working properly would the hose coming off the thermostat housing stll be hot or would it be cool? Has anyone had this problem and did indeed end up having a blown head gasket? Any other time when im not in it i dont have this problem. As the other guy said the car still feels strong and has no codes. I just took it to a local Factory Corvette Dealership and had it checked for anything out of the ordinary for the summer and the only thing we could find was a bad balancer. I would hope that if the head gaskets were blown a corvette tech for sure would have caught it or at least i hope. Any help or suggestions would be great.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

rent or buy a rad pressure tester. i bought mine from mac tools, but any parts store should have it. it should hold from 13-16 pounds of pressure,the test should take a half an hour or longer unless you see a drop in press right away. this should give you an indication if its a head gasket or not.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Coolant temperatures fluctuating 40 degrees is indicative of air in the cooling system. If you're pushin out coolant from a bad head gasket, then you're most definiately aerating the coolant system.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Would the car still develope good power and such with a bad head gasket? My car has the smell of antifreeze under the hood and its driving me nuts. I cant track it down and my resivour isnt really low.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BLK02TA
Would the car still develope good power and such with a bad head gasket? My car has the smell of antifreeze under the hood and its driving me nuts. I cant track it down and my resivour isnt really low.
No the car would start to run rough eventually and lose power depending how bad the leak is. Also im pretty sure the engine light would come on. I know the vettes have a overheating mode where the car will chime 4 times and say coolant temp to high and the car will even shut down cylinders to prevent damage. Just keep an eye on your oil for the dreaded milky look. How hot does your car run with A/C off? Where do you live? When your car is hot pop the hood and look at the inlet hose on the resivoir by the clamp to see if any coolant is hissing out. I got the same problem. Good Luck!!!!
Old 06-23-2006, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I live in caly and its usually 105+ where I am. The temps are consistent with the a/c on or off. It's got a 160tstat and tuning which includes what temp the fans come on.

Oil looks perfectly fine and no hissing. It just smells like antifreeze.